Best RV campground in Barstow CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All of our incoming water is run through a particle filter, and the drinking water is further purified with an Everpure drinking water filter.  In 10 years, we have never had any problems attributable to campground water run through those filters.  Of course, if the water is at all suspicious, we won't even hook up.  If the water is especially good, we'll put it in the tank.

Now, the water in Yuma leaves a lot to be desired :)  Fortunately, our landlord there has an RO unit and we use that for our drinking water.

Ned said:
Now, the water in Yuma leaves a lot to be desired :) 

Must be a southwest Arizona thing. I remember the water at Buckskin Mountain tasted like it came right out of the Colorado River. And if you've ever looked closely at the things floating by in that river, you'll never drink anything that might have come out of that river.

wendycoke said:
Must be a southwest Arizona thing. I remember the water at Buckskin Mountain tasted like it came right out of the Colorado River. And if you've ever looked closely at the things floating by in that river, you'll never drink anything that might have come out of that river.

Wendy

Yes it is a SW thing. The contents of SW water can make a mess of your water heater and hoses. We have 2 filters before the water enters the coach and a 3rd, like Ned, at the sink. Haven't had a problem as long as we used all of our filters.

Understood Ned, but you know the components and history of your water system. Who knows if or when the hookup hose or internal plumbing on a rental unit will have been sanitized. I don't have any idea if they provide particle filters or have additional onboard filters/purifiers. It's easier and safer buy bottles of drinking water at a supermarket.

I don't think I'd drink anything that came out of a rental unit's tank or ran through it's pipes.

You're correct for a rental, it probably doesn't have any filters.  Bottled water is the solution in that case.

Just because it's a rental, doesn't mean he can't sanitize it.  Buy his own hose and in line water filter.  In the long run I think it would be cheaper to go that way, than buy bottled water.  We've used a Mark IV brand in line filters for years, with no problems. 

Barb

Solly and her husband are coming to the U.S. on a short (1-2 week) vacation. Having to deal with buying filters and hoses and sanitizing an unknown system might not be worth the effort for the relatively small amount of money they'll pay for drinking water. There will be lots of other adjustments they'll need to pay attention to, such as driving on the "wrong" side of the road, navigating to/through strange places and dealing with the potential heat issues at that time of year.

And while I find something inherently wrong with paying for water, it's not all that expensive if you're not buying the designer waters. Plain drinking water is 50-cents for a gallon bottle at Wal-Mart and most other stores and many places have machines where you can fill your own water bottles for about a quarter. So hang on to a couple of empty bottles.

Wendy,

Your suggestion of Gallon containers of water is right on. We've found them to be both economical and easy to store.

Reminds me when we were in AZ last year. Chris bought a gigantic plastic water container which she/we somehow filled with water from one of those quarter machines. The darn thing was so heavy and unwieldy that I gave up trying to use water from it. We dragged that thing (full of water) all the way home and I eventually dumped the water. The container sat in our garage until Chris eventually gave it to someone.

We buy the 2.5 gallon water containers, then cut a hole in the top to refill them.  Not too big to handle, they have a convenient spout, and don't have to be refilled as often.  2 of those can get us through a week at QZ.

wendycoke said:
And while I find something inherently wrong with paying for water....

How would you feel living somewhere with one of the highest rainfalls in Europe, paying high taxes (including a water tax), having your water rationed while water in your local reservoir was piped to another country. Now that I found inherently wrong.

We have one of those giant blue water jugs that Mike used to fill to use as a weight on the internet tripod. I think he used it this year on the Dishnet tripod. We never use the water from it because it's just too darn big to pour from. I believe it's sitting in the RV shower now.

Tom said:
How would you feel living somewhere with one of the highest rainfalls in Europe, paying high taxes (including a water tax), having your water rationed while water in your local reservoir was piped to another country. Now that I found inherently wrong.

I suspect I'd be rather unhappy...what country are we talking about?

OK, Tom!  :mad: Where is that happening? If I'm going to be goaded to anger, I want to be angry with the right countries!  :-\ That is an abomination!  :mad:

Who dunnit?  ???

Ray D  ;D

LOL you folks obviously haven't read my prior rants. The two countries are Wales (wet and thirsty) and England (dry, but not thirsty). The story is true and it's additional fodder when I get to tease Englishmen about exploitation of the Welsh labor force by the wealthy English coal mine owners  ;D

I figured it was the Welshman angry at the English. Of course, we Irish aren't too happy with them either.

Back
Top Bottom