Help...we own a 2001 Ford f150 xl with manual transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liz66

and for the life of me, I cannot figure out the weight we are allowed to tow with the combined weight of everything else. I have researched it like crazy. We have the tow package. My GVWR is 6000lb. My front axle GAWR is 3400, rear GAWR is 3550, and curbside weight is 4311. How heavy of a camper can we tow? I googled it, and some sites say 8,800 while others say 2,000. That's a massive difference. It's an old truck that's in great shape that we bought used so no help from the owner's manual. If anyone here could help me, I would so so so so appreciate it.

I've attached the 2001 Trailer Life Towing Guide. You need to have the engine size, cab and cargo bed length, and 2WD/4WD option to determine the tow rating. A 2001 could indeed be anywhere from 2000-8400 lbs, so the details are important. However, I think the manual tranny is only in the 4.2L & 4.6L engine versions and that reduces the max tow to somewhere under 3600 lbs. Look under "F150 manual transmission - conventional towing"

It's also critical to select travel trailer (conventional towing) vs 5W, but I can tell you right now that a 5W will be pretty much out of the question unless it is very small. Half ton trucks can't carry enough 5W pin weight to make that practical.

Attachments

• 2001 TL towingguide.pdf
    50 KB · Views: 3
To determine PAYLOAD, get the truck weighed.  Scales are available at truck stops, garbage dump locations, gravel pits, grain elevators, etc.

Your GVWR  is 6000#, so subtract your scale weight from 6000# and you have the accurate payload.  It should be about 1600#.

Remember, payload includes EVERYTHING carried in or on the truck, including passengers, cargo, tools, trailer hitches and trailer tongue weight.

Older f150. Safe top tow rate with a v8 and auto transmission is about 5000.    But it rated at 2000 because of the manual transmission.    But you can tow 5000    but your going to burn up the clutch    and don't brother with 5th gear...... Had the same problem with my 1996 GMC 1/2 ton.  Manual was rated at 2000.  Auto was rated at 5000 same motor.    Towed 5000 all the time.  But was ruff on clutch getting started from a stop

Back
Top Bottom