How far of a distance is a safe distance to pull a single axle trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wechter

Hello to everyone here -- I'm a newbie, thanks for taking my question.

So I've a KZ Sportsmen 16' - 19' from tongue to rear. It's a single axle trailer and I was wondering if there is some type of limit as to how far one can travel before seeing things like heated hubs or some other related issue.

The plan is to pull from ST Pete, FL to Stone Mountain, GA using my trusty old 2002 Tundra - didn't know if I would have to stop along the way or not?

Probably not a very smart question - but a question none-the less. :)

Thanks - Jay

Welcome to the forum.
You can tow that trailer as far as you want as long as you have good bearings and they are properly greased.

Given the proper tire size and properly packed wheel bearings the limit in the USA is about 3,000 miles... Then you flood your tow vehicle (As in drive off the beach into the ocean type flood"

No practical limt.. But you may wish to have the bearings checked every few thousand miles for re-packing. Not sure how many thousand...

NOTE: the smaller the tire, the more heat in the bearing.. larger tires run cooler.

Back in the 1970's I pulled a boat trailer that had 8 inch wheels to Texas, via S. California and Kansas, about a 3,000 mile trip.  I repacked the bearings twice on the trip.  Each time, the bearings were beginning to get dry but no harm was done.  Those little 8 inch tires spun many rounds in 1000 miles.  The larger the tire, the less revolutions it makes.  I'd recommend repacking the bearings on a 15 inch wheel at least ever 10 to 12,000 miles.  I've let mine go 12,000 a few times and they were beginning to get dry, but no harm was done.

Very good advise above.

Check your tire date code.  It is the DOT imprint required on every tire sold in the US.  The last 4 digits are the week and year of manufacture.  1712 means manufactured in the 17th week of 2012, or the end of April, 2012.

Tires over 5 years old should be replaced regardless of tread or visible cracking.

Also check the tire load rating.  With 2 tires, multiply by 2 and make sure they can handle 90% of the loaded trailer weight.  The other 10% is carried by the tongue / hitch.  Make sure they are inflated to their max inflation rating when cold.  Note also that ST tires have a max speed rating of 65 mph.

Happy Camping!  Thanks for asking.

Do you have an owners MANUAL?

In my manual (a duel axle Cargo trailer) it states the maximum speed limit is 55 mph.

If you drive much faster than that all kinds of bad things can happen, but it's your call as to how you drive.
Just passing along what's in my manual and how I drive.

Good luck with your trip.

Personally, I can't make it any more than 2 or 3 hours before I have to stop, but that doesn't have anything to do with the trailer.  Make sure your wheel bearings and tires are in good shape and you can go as long as you can stand it.  Enjoy the trip.

You can also get a non-contact thermometer to shoot the brakes and hubs at each stop to see what the temps are.

Here's an inexpensive one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/Non-Contact-Infrared-Thermometer-With-Laser-Targeting-69465.html

kdbgoat said:
You can also get a non-contact thermometer to shoot the brakes and hubs at each stop to see what the temps are.

Here's an inexpensive one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/Non-Contact-Infrared-Thermometer-With-Laser-Targeting-69465.html

I got one of those after my son in law lost a wheel bearing on his fifth wheel on a remote highway in Canada. His actually caught fire.Fortunately,he was flagged down and took care of it before causing any further damage.

I check my bearings at every rest stop while waiting for the wife to finish up.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy one of the infra red temperature guns... about 29 bucks....This can be used to check the temperature of the hubs, and the tires.... I towed a 25 foot boat from NY to Georgia in the middle of July and every time I stopped I checked the hub and tire temps.... It helps and makes it easy to see if you have an overheat problem.... If you have a hot hub or tire, you probably are going to have a problem, but this will help you to find it much easier... Of course you have to establish a base line to start, and if you know that the hub bearings are well greased and in good condition this will be easier to do....Take a cold reading and then after about 100 miles do a check.... Mine only varied about 10 to 15 degrees after 200 miles or so... That was traveling at temperature ranges in the high 80's... Good inexpensive tool...... I never travel without it when trailering.....

Back
Top Bottom