Cold weather camping!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
Well I am going to see just how well insulated my rig is for the next few days.  After leaving Vegas we stopped off in Big Bear Lake for a few days.  We are meeting up with the kids and grand kids that we haven't seen in months!

But the temps are going to hit the low 20's and teens for the next several days.  Have never been in temps this cold in this rig, so it will be an adventure.  We are running  2 space heaters, one in the front and one in the back. So far it's about  26 outside and it's pretty comfy inside.

I am also running a small ceramic heater in the wet bay with the thermostat turned down. A remote thermometer shows about 54 in the wet bay right now.  I may have to  turn the heaters down a touch for bed tonight though. I can't sleep when it's too hot.

I also have the roof vent in the mid rig area open about 2" to let the moisture escape.  Now if I just didn't have to take the dog out to pee.........

No snow? Big Bear Lake is lovely. Enjoy the time with your family. You'll just have to get the furry drawers out  :eek:

jackiemac said:
No snow? Big Bear Lake is lovely. Enjoy the time with your family. You'll just have to get the furry drawers out  :eek:

Flannel sheets and pillow case are comfy too.

Can't be much colder than Yellowstone Sarge.  Like you, we don't sleep well when it's too hot so open a window and turn off the furnace at night.  Have gotten up many times when it was 40 something in the coach. 

You may be right Gary. Last night worked out fine, in fact a little too warm in the coach. 67 degrees inside the rig this morning, and 23 outside.  The water bay stayed a reasonable 50 degrees. I will have to turn down the heaters a bit tonight.  Also have a heating blanket on the bed, had to turn that off at 1 AM as it was just too warm. 

Strong winds coming tonight and all day tomorrow.  That should make the 20 degree temps interesting.

Sounds like you are doing just fine. It has not been very warm in AZ the last few days either, and gets even colder going forward. Good news is it will eventually warm up.

Been in our trailer for the past week. Lows have been down to 27*. Running small electric heater and furnace set at 70* for when the electric can't keep up. It makes it bearable, but the pleather seating and vinyl floors still stay cold. We keep throw blankets on the recliners and wear house shoes to ease the chill. It's ok for short periods, but much more than a week, we would have to get serious about fixing things to ward off the cold.

You need to be running your furnace to blow warm air into the basement and into the holding tank area.  While these areas will be find down into the mid or even low 20's for a few hours as long as the sun comes out in the day time to warm things up. 

Back to the furnace, about an hour or so before you go to bed, turn off the space heaters and run the furnace.  When you go to bed lower the thermostat to 50 or 55 degrees, depending on how cool you like sleeping.  The furnace coming on a few times while you sleep will keep the compartments from freezing.  Especially important if it gets into the teens. 

AStravelers said:
You need to be running your furnace to blow warm air into the basement and into the holding tank area.  While these areas will be find down into the mid or even low 20's for a few hours as long as the sun comes out in the day time to warm things up. 

Back to the furnace, about an hour or so before you go to bed, turn off the space heaters and run the furnace.  When you go to bed lower the thermostat to 50 or 55 degrees, depending on how cool you like sleeping.  The furnace coming on a few times while you sleep will keep the compartments from freezing.  Especially important if it gets into the teens. 

If this was directed towards me, I am very well aware of this. That's why we set the tstat for the furnace like we do. When temps get to the freezing point outside, there's no way the 1500 watt electric heater will keep the trailer 70*, so the furnace will run when needed.

I was able to keep the rig toasty using just the two electric heaters. The built in fireplace in the front, and a tower model in the middle that also has a rotate function. Set by the doorway into the sleeping area and rotating between heating the bedroom and kitchen area worked well. We even had to turn the heating blanket off after warming the bed because it would get too warm. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom