to 4x4 or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hopefulrver

while not totally set on a truck camper,I am definitely leaning that way. I was planning to buy a new truck. I do like having 4 wheel drive, but is really necessary if you don't plan on going to far in to the wild.

A lot depends on where you live and what else you do with the truck. We live in the mountains, and there are frequent restrictions on travel if you don't have 4WD. We also travel through the upper Midwest in the winter to visit family. It is awfully nice to have 4WD when traveling across Wyoming, Nebraska, Minnesota, etc. in the winter! In other words, we would get 4WD on our vehicles no matter whether we are using them with a truck camper or a travel trailer (what we pull with our truck) or not towing/carrying anything at all.

If you go from City to City and stay in RV parks, 2 wheel drive is fine.

If you go to National Forests and stay in the CG's 4x4 is nice to have. 

With heavy loads it is nice to be able to shift into 4 wheel drive low range and creep up a incline, or on gravel on somewhat steep road inside the CG.

It is not that you "can't" do the above in a 2 wheel drive.  It is that w/2WD you may need to drive a 5-10mph to keep the momentum up and then the pot holes or bumps rock you around.  With the 4x4 you creep across the bumps. 

If you ever get into snow 4x4 is much nicer. 

UTTransplant said:
A lot depends on where you live and what else you do with the truck... We also travel through the upper Midwest in the winter to visit family. It is awfully nice to have 4WD when traveling across Wyoming, Nebraska, Minnesota, etc. in the winter! In other words, we would get 4WD on our vehicles no matter whether we are using them with a truck camper or a travel trailer (what we pull with our truck) or not towing/carrying anything at all.

DH (Dear Husband) and I live in Minnesota.  Although our recent winters have been mild, we wouldn't consider anything less than a 4WD.  Also we would find a truck camper way too restrictive.  We made a costly mistake by buying less vehicle and camper than what we needed.

Hopefulrver,

I'd like to back up the conversation.  First, welcome to the RV Forum.  The Forum has lots of experienced experts to help you. 

It would be helpful to know what type of RVing you hope to do.  Weekend camper/hunter?  One week or longer or travel RVing?  How many people will be staying in the camper and for how long?  What area of the country?  Do you have a camper in mind?  How many square feet of actual "floor space".  This info would be helpful to the experts on line.  I'm sure the experts will come up with many more questions.  Again, welcome to the RV Forum.

(BTW ... some would consider our Minneapolis suburban residence with six inches of snow as "in the wild".  ;)

Was actually considering 1 ton dually and a lance 1172 or 1200 eagle cap or the large artic fox. I figure , with my better half opinion, that we only stay in " civilized " parks. 

I do a lot of forest service roads with the trailer that I simply could not do in two wheel drive. I don't get into a lot of slick conditions but when it gets rough and rocky I need to drop it into 4x4 low to crawl over the rocks or risk shaking the trailer to pieces. Low is also great for very controlled backing and steep climbs.

hopefulrver said:
Was actually considering 1 ton dually and a lance 1172 or 1200 eagle cap or the large artic fox. I figure , with my better half opinion, that we only stay in " civilized " parks.
If by "civilized" parks you mean RV Parks you probably won't be happy in a P/U camper.  It is too small to spend lots of time inside.  In many RV Parks you may not want to sit outside. 

A Lance camper is nice but wow are they expensive LOL. I would check into a 5th wheel simply because with a camper you are stuck at camp. You have to unhook everything just to go to the store if you run out of something. Also a camper is cramped. Even for 2 people there isnt much room to move. I find my 5th wheel much more enjoyable to go to the campgrounds. You should however no matter which way you go with your rig I suggest a diesel for sure. You will get better fuel millage with a diesel than a gas truck.
Also a 4x4 is a nice option. I live in Ca and go to the snow every winter and it's nice not to have to put chains on in the cold LOL My truck even has the electronic locking differential and have used it many times also.

Lances are cheap compared to other campers such as mine. Stuck at camp? It takes only 10 minutes or less to unload the camper from the truck.Same with putting it back on.
Barely room for two people? My triple slides floor is 8' wide.I have a rear couch for two, a lazy boy love seat and a Lazy boy recliner.
Oh, 4WD comes in handy when you put it into 4low to load the camper.

I never have owned a truck and only have driven a f350 from Home Depot a few times.  But I am on my 2nd Toyota 4 runner and sure am glad I got 4wd on each one.

My older one had full time 4wd and my new one has rwd or 4wd, I prefer this better. My wife's car is AWD.

We do live in Michigan so run winter tires also.

Depends on where you plan on being. If minimal time in snowy areas, 2wd and tc should be fine. But if youre like me and live in the NE where lake effect is a weekly problem, 4x4 is almost a necessity. Ive owned 2 trucks, both 4x4. Will never be without. Thats my experience.

I pull a TT but when camping, we like to drive around and explore the back country.  I have only had to use 4x4 once in ice as I live in southern Arizona.  But I have used the 4x4 more often to go slowly on rough roads, get through mud and very loose sand.  I don't know that I wouldn't have been able to get through with just 2 wheel drive but it is comforting to be able to just slip into 4 wheel drive when you see a questionable area ahead.

4x4 is better in wintry travel i.e. snow.  if you live in the northern or colder climate, it's a must.  it's also better for navigating those dirt/gravel roads, better grip.

if you don't live in those areas or you only plan on using this truck to tow in the summer, then 4x2 is fine, cheaper and it has a better towing capacity.

Back
Top Bottom