Radiator leak, Spartan MM Chassis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aprs

Pulled into Navy base campground in Kings Bay and sprung a leak in the radiator.Was able to get into our spot and shut down. Questions: 1. is the radiator drop down without taking off the heat exchangers et al or come through the side? 2. Any recommendations for repair facility in the Kings Bay/ Jax area?

I cannot comment on the Kings Bay area.  However we had to have our radiator replaced about two years ago.
It was just as we started on our first trip, and only five hours from home on a two month trip out West.

My RV is on the Spartan MM chassis, 2000, side radiator.
They had to disassemble a lot of the rear chassis area to get at the radiator, All the coolers on that side had to be removed.
I do not think any cutting or welding was involved, although I was told it could happen on some RV's
We also had a fan blade air shipped in from Spartan in Michigan, as mine had lots of cracks all over.

The radiator was going to be super expensive if shipped in from Spartan --- so they found a VOLVO TRUCK radiator which had identical mounts/inlets/exits/thickness-etc.
Saved a lot of money,  I think the Volvo radiator ran about $1000,  As it was I think the repairs were still about $1700 of parts (including hoses and antifreeze) and $1500 of labor to have it replaced.  Not cheap.
This was done at a Freightliner place that also worked on all makes North of Ocala Florida.

Good luck with yours.  Dale

Thanks Dale. Good to know about the substitute radiator. We were going to make a pit stop at spartan in michigan on our way down from n. Michigan, to get our chassis inspected,however, plans changed. They might have caught the radiator issue. Dang the bad luck.

Back
Top Bottom