Yellowstone to Toronto suggestions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceejayt

Hi

Two sixty year olds and a 14 year old grandson in our 30 foot UK RV - please have a look at this planned itinerary http://www.annie-and-chris.com/north-american-road-trip/yellowstone-to-toronto/ which is the ninth stage of our 6 month tour of North America.

All suggestions welcome as to things to see and places stay.  I have had great feedback on here to the other stages which has really helped our planning.

I have planned to take 3 weeks to make this West to East crossing - let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Unless you particularly want to go to Chicago, this may be an interesting alternative.

Check out the Harley-Davidson plant and museum in Milwaukee, and then ,
http://www.lake-express.com/
then through Michigan to Sarnia, Ontario, then on to Toronto.
Of course you miss Niagara Falls that way, and a number of cool places in Chicago, but it is an option.

If you don't go to Niagra falls and take your grandson for a ride on the Maid Of The Mist he may never forgive you. ;) http://www.maidofthemist.com/
Cross into Canada at the falls and it is a short run to Toronto.
Bill

LarsMac said:
Unless you particularly want to go to Chicago, this may be an interesting alternative.

Of course you miss Niagara Falls that way, and a number of cool places in Chicago, but it is an option.

This is a great suggestion - we will have done Chicago 5 months previously, no need to go back and we can catch Niagara on the way back to Cape Cod.  Will make appropriate amendments to the rout

Thanks

WILDEBILL308 said:
If you don't go to Niagra falls and take your grandson for a ride on the Maid Of The Mist he may never forgive you. ;) http://www.maidofthemist.com/
Cross into Canada at the falls and it is a short run to Toronto.
Bill

Thanks - and true, but we can catch it on our way back into the US - we have done Maid of the Mist - awesome!

ceejayt, from this and your other posts it looks like you're planning quite an adventure; sure to give that grandson bragging rights with his mates back home!

Since you're from the UK, I thought it may be helpful to provide this link with tips for driving across the US / Canadian border. I'll bet most of this you know, but you may need a permission note from the boys parents.

LarsMac said:

Route now reflects those suggestions - thanks again

BinaryBob said:
ceejayt, from this and your other posts it looks like you're planning quite an adventure; sure to give that grandson bragging rights with his mates back home!

Since you're from the UK, I thought it may be helpful to provide this link with tips for driving across the US / Canadian border. I'll bet most of this you know, but you may need a permission note from the boys parents.
Thanks

Quite a few bragging rights I should think!  Thanks for the link.  We have the consent letter already as we had to have it to get our US Visas approved for a 6 month trip :)

In addition to whatever you need to enter Canada, be sure you have a letter designating you as the child's 'legal guardians', and specifically giving you the authority to make medical decisions on his behalf. This will be required by doctors, hospitals and emergency rooms in the US. We keep updated letters of authority for our grandkids in our cars and at home.

This leg goes through some pretty boring country. I would suggest that once you get to Wisconsin you should head north and see the Upper Peninsula. Stop at Mackinac Island. One of the most bizarre and beautiful communities in the country. Motorized vehicles have not been permitted there since 1898.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Island

Tom said:
In addition to whatever you need to enter Canada, be sure you have a letter designating you as the child's 'legal guardians', and specifically giving you the authority to make medical decisions on his behalf. This will be required by doctors, hospitals and emergency rooms in the US. We keep updated letters of authority for our grandkids in our cars and at home.

Good advice - we need to beef up the consent letter

SeilerBird said:
This leg goes through some pretty boring country. I would suggest that once you get to Wisconsin you should head north and see the Upper Peninsula. Stop at Mackinac Island. One of the most bizarre and beautiful communities in the country. Motorized vehicles have not been permitted there since 1898.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Island

Thank you - route changed to take that in.

Actually, this part of the USA can be quite interesting because it's where Lewis and Clark explored when our Westward Movement started (early 1800s).  There are numerous forts, a Mandan Indian settlement, and some great museums that your grandson might find really interesting, such as the one at Great Falls MT.  Make sure he sees some buffalo (American Bison).  My advice is to look for brown highway signs that point to local places of interest such as national monuments, parks and the like.  Some of our most interesting days have been serendipitous stops because we saw a brown sign.  If you stay south and go on I-80 there's an unusual place at Kearney, Nebraska.  The Great Platte River Road Archway Monument is a museum that is built across I-80.  The structure itself is unusual but the inside has interesting exhibits.  On I-90 Mitchell, South Dakota has the world's only Corn Palace which also is unusual.  There's a lot to see and do between Yellowstone and Toronto (which by the way has a wonderful multilevel museum).

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Actually, this part of the USA can be quite interesting because it's where Lewis and Clark explored when our Westward Movement started (early 1800s).
I agree with you Ardra however their route goes nowhere near the area that L&C explored. They cross the trail once in South Dakota and never really go near it again.

Definitely agree with not missing Niagara Falls. One of the natural wonders of the world. If you are going to Toronto and the kids like theme parks, Canadas wonderland just north of metro Toronto is second to none. I have been to Disney World as well as Busch Gardens and they pale in comparison for the degree of rides they have.

A couple of suggestions.  Drive back on 94 to Fargo ND, then on to the Park Rapids area and visit Itasca State Park and the headwaters of the Mississippi.  From there on to Duluth to see the ore boats and twin harbors. On across northern Wisconsin to upper peninsula of Michigan and Mackinac Island. Cross the bridge to southern Michigan and enter Canada at Port Huron, and then into Toronto.  As a side note, about 60 miles NE of Toronto is the town of Peterbourgh.  It has 1 of 2 lift locks in the world.  They look like 2 bathtubs that lift the boats up and down instead of the normal lock system.  This route is if you do not go through Chicago on the return.

kjansen said:
A couple of suggestions.  Drive back on 94 to Fargo ND, then on to the Park Rapids area and visit Itasca State Park and the headwaters of the Mississippi.  From there on to Duluth to see the ore boats and twin harbors. On across northern Wisconsin to upper peninsula of Michigan and Mackinac Island. Cross the bridge to southern Michigan and enter Canada at Port Huron, and then into Toronto.  As a side note, about 60 miles NE of Toronto is the town of Peterbourgh.  It has 1 of 2 lift locks in the world.  They look like 2 bathtubs that lift the boats up and down instead of the normal lock system.  This route is if you do not go through Chicago on the return.

Great suggestions. Thanks

[quote author=Tom]We keep updated letters of authority for our grandkids in our cars and at home.
[/quote]

In addition to the authorisation & parents' signature(s), our letters include details of our grandkids' medical insurance and their home primary medical provider(s), and respective contact info. This may or may not apply to your grandson, depending on his medical insurance arrangements.

Tom said:
In addition to the authorisation & parents' signature(s), our letters include details of our grandkids' medical insurance and their home primary medical provider(s), and respective contact info. This may or may not apply to your grandson, depending on his medical insurance arrangements.

We have one policy covering all three of us.  Will have all the details with us

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom