Can't find tow capacity for my truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amcmahon

I have a 97 Chevy c1500 2wd ext cab short bed 5.7 vortec 5 speed with 3.42 posi rearend & helper springs. & want to pull an older..(1974 30' gooseneck travel trailer 7600lb gvwr) to a deer lease. It's about 100 mi trip & want to see if it'll pull it before I install a hitch? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/
Max 7000 lb with rear hitch (weight distributing) ... See below.
1997 C1500 Pickup (2WD) 5.7 V-8 7000 lb
Notes: Requires 3.73:1 axle ratio. Requires Z82 Trailering Special Package. Requires engine-oil cooler. Requires transmission-oil cooler. Requires weight-distributing hitch. A higher tow rating is listed for pickups that tow fifth-wheel trailers.
I think it would be unsafe to attempt to tow at a weight that is at or above the weight limit of your vehicle.

I towed a travel trailer with a GMC 1500 5.7L vortex and the trailer's actual weight was 6300 lbs. Pulling it wasn't the problem. Controlling it (sway and stopping) was the challenge. Just wasn't safe for me until I upgraded to a 2500HD truck.

Just my opinion

Since this is a gooseneck (or maybe a 5W?) rather than a conventional hitch trailer, the WD tow rating doesn't apply. And the 3.42 axle is less capable in pulling power, but for a one-time, 100 mile pull, that's not a big concern.

However, a gooseneck or 5W puts a lot of weight on the truck, typically 20-25% of the loaded weight. That's likely to be upwards of 1100 lbs even with an empty trailer, and more than 1600 lbs if loaded with gear for the campsite. That will likely flatten the suspension of that  truck, and may even lift the front end enough to make steering dicey.

Could you elaborate a bit on the type of trailer and hitch? You used the term "gooseneck travel trailer", but those are technically contradictory terms. A travel trailer has a conventional ball coupler type hitch that attaches at the back (bumper area) of the truck; a gooseneck couples to a ball located in the center of the truck bed; a 5W has a pin that slides into a flat plate mounted above the truck bed. The towing needs and safety vary tremendously among these types.

Gooseneck hitch photo: http://www.turnoverball.com/support-and-resources/our-blog/towing-and-turning-part-2-equipment-that-makes-it-easier

the trailer will be mostly empty when I pull it & no water in the tanks. I'll be using a gn plate hitch & I already have a brake controller installed for pulling a car hauler. I was going to add a pic but it says it's too large

So what's the payload capacity of that truck? I'm guessing it's in the vicinity of 1100-1400 lbs, and that may not include the driver. Certainly not passengers.

Based on a 7600# trailer, the weight placed in the bed of the truck will be around 1520# (20%)

The  two critical weights are payload and rear axle capacity.  Get the truck weighed, preferably separate front and rear axle weights.  The truck will have a placard on the driver door area which will specify GVWR (the most the loaded truck can weigh)  and RAWR (the most the rear axle may weigh when loaded.)

Assuming you were in the truck when it was weighed, add the weight of the two axles.  This is the weight of the empty truck.  GVWR - empty truck = Payload.  This MUST be greater than the 1500# the trailer will add to the truck.

Take the rear axle weight and subtract this from RAWR.  This must also be more than 1500#, since the gooseneck places all of this weight directly on the rear axle.

I doubt your truck can handle this.  These weights should better explain why and how overloaded it would be.

Do you have a friend with a ? ton or 1 ton truck who could pull the camper for you?

Back
Top Bottom