SCAM or BOGUS Warning - Avast FREE Anti Virus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilvrT

I have been using Avast FREE A/V for many, many years and I've installed in on many computers over those years. It has always served me well .... until recently.

A couple weeks ago I noticed a charge against my credit card in the amount of $49.95 from Avast-Nexway. WHAT??? Apparently for renewing my subscription to their full version.

So I did some investigating and discovered I was not the only one getting charged for something they did not purchase from this company.

How they got my cc info is beyond me as I never, ever purchased their product nor did I ever provide them with my cc info.

What I found out is apparently when you go download the free version, somewhere there is a indiscriminate check box signing you up for their full version. Again, how they get the cc info I don't know but they did.

So my friends, be warned .... this could happen to you.

Meanwhile, I have disputed it and have been reimbursed. I've also removed Avast from my computer and have purchased and installed Kaspersky with NO automatic renewal.

On top of that I've had my cc cancelled and replaced with a new one (different account #). That is a pain because now I have to go and update all accounts that legitimately auto-renew as well as places like PayPal, Amazon, etc. etc.

Great Horned Owl said:
Another good free one is AVG. I've been using it for about 12 years, an a number of different computer. I've never had the slightest problem. They too, have an "advanced" version that you can buy, but I've never felt the need.

See http://www.avg.com/ppc/ww-en/protection-ultimate-vs-free?dsc=4wf&d=20&h2=20&subh2=20&ECID=ad:go:se:US-EN-XSite-Brand-Search&gclid=CJjtwqTo3dACFdcagQodjyoGRA.

Joel

I used to use AVG until it started to "bloat" the computer resources. I then switched to Avast. Perhaps AVG has rectified that issue since.

SeilerBird said:
Anti virus software is more dangerous than the viruses they are suppose to protect you from.

boy are you disillusioned! (just razzin ya)

Then again, you might be a MAC or Linux OS user so in that case, you're excused  LOL

SilvrT said:
boy are you disillusioned! (just razzin ya)

Then again, you might be a MAC or Linux OS user so in that case, you're excused  LOL
Not disillusioned, just intelligent. Been using Windows since 2.1 in 87 without the pain of running anti virus software. Too expensive, too heavy and not enough of a guarantee. Never got a virus in my life. Anti virus is not 100% effective, it just gives you false security. Too many people running anti virus have gotten a virus. I do most of my computing with a Chromebook so I don't need it for that but even my Windows laptop is anti virus free. I am not suggesting anyone else do what I do. I am just glad I don't have to put up with expensive software that does not work right.

SeilerBird said:
Not disillusioned, just intelligent. Been using Windows since 2.1 in 87 without the pain of running anti virus software. Too expensive, too heavy and not enough of a guarantee. Never got a virus in my life. Anti virus is not 100% effective, it just gives you false security. Too many people running anti virus have gotten a virus. I do most of my computing with a Chromebook so I don't need it for that but even my Windows laptop is anti virus free. I am not suggesting anyone else do what I do. I am just glad I don't have to put up with expensive software that does not work right.

That's very fortunate for you that you haven't been "HIT" and I hope for your sake you never do. I too have been working with computers (professionally I might add) since 1985. I was teaching Microsoft products before Windows came into the picture and have been a Microsoft Professional ever since (among other things such as enterprise network admin). I have had to clean up many virus infected client PCs over the years and on the odd occasion, even my own although that is very rare. I can tell you from my professional experience that without A/V protection, many, many more businesses would have had their operations come to a screeching halt if some of the A/V blocked viruses had gotten into their systems. As I manage the IT systems where I work, I monitor the 2 A/V shields daily and I know that there are many serious threats that fail to get into our systems. Our firewall is protected by it's own A/V as well as our individual servers and workstations by another A/V.

It's true though that if one is extremely careful about what they do on a computer, they can remain virus free but unfortunately very few are not like you and I.

That said, I wonder how you can make your claims without having personal experience with A/V software?

While you are correct about some things, the fact is that while A/V software is not always going to be 100% effective, it does a very effective job of protecting those majority of people out there who are not as diligent (and intelligent) as you.

BTW, for those who might not know, Chromebook's OS is based on a Linux kernel which is not susceptible to virus attacks.

I have plenty of personal experience cleaning up friends and relatives computers that managed to get infected. I know all about the threats that are out there but they don't bother me at all. Everything on my computers are backed up to the cloud and to several flash drives. If I did get a virus it would take me about two hours to reinstall Windows and I would not lose a thing. I would rather take that chance than put up with anti virus software.

SeilerBird said:
......If I did get a virus it would take me about two hours to reinstall Windows and I would not lose a thing....

another reason I like my chromebook.  Not a virus, but I've had them get a little "wonky".  The reset to factory fresh takes just minutes.  Log back in and your back up an running before a windows user stops grumbling and cussing about having to do it.

blw2 said:
another reason I like my chromebook.  Not a virus, but I've had them get a little "wonky".  The reset to factory fresh takes just minutes.  Log back in and your back up an running before a windows user stops grumbling and cussing about having to do it.
I have been using Chromebooks for four years and I have never had one get wonky. I have had it freeze up on very rare occasions but simply holding down the on/off switch for ten seconds and it restarts running perfectly. You might try that before doing a refresh.

Free anti-virus software is worth what you pay for it.
Most infections come from the operator not being smart.

Having said that, I always use anti-malware software, and it has saved me a few times.
WebRoot and Bitdefender are on the top of my list.

If you have Avast (Free or bought versions) just go into your account settings and make sure auto payment is turned off. Been using Avast for years on my two office machines and my laptop with no problems.

Chromebook's OS is based on a Linux kernel which is not susceptible to virus attacks.

So is OS X, Android, and a slew of others.  They get plenty of viruses and hackers have indeed figured out ways to get in.  Especially if the person who installed the OS was lazy or uninformed and set up the administrator account as default. 

8Muddypaws said:
Chromebook's OS is based on a Linux kernel which is not susceptible to virus attacks.
The reason Chromebooks cannot get virus is not because of Linux (which is susceptible to virus attacks) it is because Chrome OS cannot run programs. A virus is an executable program and since Chrome cannot execute a program it cannot get a virus. And since Google is so vigilant at identifying web sites that spread malware it will not let you go to a website that contains malware without presenting you with plenty of warning that the site is dangerous. In other words you have to be an idiot to get malware with Chrome.

SeilerBird said:
The reason Chromebooks cannot get virus is not because of Linux (which is susceptible to virus attacks) it is because Chrome OS cannot run programs. A virus is an executable program and since Chrome cannot execute a program it cannot get a virus. And since Google is so vigilant at identifying web sites that spread malware it will not let you go to a website that contains malware without presenting you with plenty of warning that the site is dangerous. In other words you have to be an idiot to get malware with Chrome.

Well sir, I hope you never become an idiot.

Chrome basically build a sandbox in memory in which it does all its magic. When you close Chrome, the whole sandbox goes away. The only way to get infected is to allow whatever chrome is doing to change data on your harddrive outside the sandbox.So, whenever you get one of those questions, just say 'no'

In the chrome book, the OS gives you the sand box to play in and doesn't allow anything to affect the it from the sandbox.

That is an extremely simple description.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom