Installed new battery, now my furnace won't come on.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Contestedmilk

I pull a 27' Jayco Jayfeather with my '04 Suburban. I recently changed my deep cycle battery to a larger sized one because the old one kept losing power during the night causing the furnace to go out in the middle of the night.

Now that I have changed the battery my furnace will not kick on. All of the lights in the trailer come on, but for some reason the furnace and the radio do not have power.

As a test i reconnected the old battery and poof, my furnace came on again. But oddly, the radio (which had been working fine before I began switching) doesn't have power now.

I then switch back to the new battery and again, no furnace.

I could not be more confused. My girlfriend and I are full-timing for a year and are eager to get moving. Any advice or insight is much appreciated.

Are you sure you have correctly identified the positive and negative terminals on the new battery? The lights won't care if the terminals are reversed, but many other things do and will not work. And you may have popped a pair of fuses on your converter/charger if it is equipped for reverse polarity protection.

X2 with Gary.  The radio also cares about polarity and if you're lucky it will have only popped it's fuse, too.

If you did reverse the polarity, also check the refrigerator and water heater for proper operation if they were on.

You guys were right!  Thank you so much! It was a fuse on the converter and also one on the radio. Problem solved! I appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom