Metal Corrugated Shower Wall - Disaster or Genius?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

code_name_code

Hello,

New to the site and wanted to get some opinions from you guys.
The shower surround in my camper (2016 Palomino Puma 32-RKTS) is bowing out. In fact, the seals have separated from the walls, and I am worried about mold and such. The shower can be covered under warranty, but I am a full timer and it's going to be a hassle to get it to the shop and sit for a while... I had an idea to just cut out the shower wall and put in a metal corrugated surround, backed with the flexible, waterproof membrane. My camper will not be moved for the next several years, so I'm not too worried about flexing ability except in regards to temperature/ weather changes.
See below link for example:
http://www.doityourselfrv.com/diy-shower-ideas/

I'm aware this might void the warranty for the shower, but I'm going to see if it will void the warranty for the rest of this unit.
So, is this a bad idea or a good idea?

I would think the weight of the metal would be a big factor.  Everywhere you put a screw there is a possibly of a leak. You still would have to chalk the corners, around the faucets.  Also the metal would be hard to keep clean.  I am pretty sure that a home supply store have Plastic or fiberglass panels that would work and likely be easier to install.    Personally, I strongly consider the warranty option due mainly to the resell possibilities of your unit.

Don't think it's a very good idea. Resale and leaks as previously mentioned plus mildew/mold behind sheets due to high humidity in immediate area. I saw this in a basement studio I briefly rented many years ago that used corrugated metal in the shower.

If you do go with the corrugated steel or even fiberglass, make sure you use the screws which have a rubber washer under the head. They are made specifically for that application. You may also have to put some type of backing for the screws to attach to. Maybe a sheet of 1/4" plywood.

WOW - So happy to see all the quick responses! I moved into my camper last month, so I've been working out a ton of issues. I'm so glad I found this forum; thank you for your advice!

I'm getting a general feeling that this may not be the best idea, but the adventurous side of me wants to give it a shot!

Noted on the weight - I'll need to do some comparison.
Regarding the screws/ connectors, does anyone know how the current shower surround is connected? Maybe I could just replicate that.

Not sure without seeing yours.  My shower base (floor) Is separate from the wall panels. My shower enclosure (two walls) is a one piece and it is held in place around the top something similar to plastic pop-rivets. It laps over the base.  The glass part of the shower enclosure sits a channel in the base  and is screwed thorough the plastic enclosure on the sides and into the base(I assume there is wood or heavy plastic in these areas) and the edges are sealed with tube and sink chalk.  I would assume yours would be very similar. 

I am intrigued by the idea as well.  However, moisture may be an issue, especially if you are in a humid area like the south or east in the summer.  Metal has a tendency to sweat if there is a temperature differential on either side of the metal.  Many of the plastic shower surrounds also use a wall adhesive to stick the panels to the walls. This may be an issue if you try to remove the existing surround. 

SargeW said:
Many of the plastic shower surrounds also use a wall adhesive to stick the panels to the walls. This may be an issue if you try to remove the existing surround.

That's my issue right now. I don't know if they used any mastic. I can push on the tub surround just about any place and it flexes in and out. In order to remove it would require a lot of work. I don't have any leaks right now and don't want to end up with any if I decide to remove the entire surround to apply mastic.

You could just attach your existing surround with sheet rock screws as needed, and then cover the screw heads with decorative friction caps.  The surround should not be sealed to the shower pan, so any moisture behind it can air dry. The bottom edge should be lapped over a flange around the pan. I would use a dab of sealer such as a silicone bathroom caulk under the screw heads though. Just start the screw through the plastic surround and then back it out. Put a small dab of sealer in the hole and then run the screw all the way in.

Screw Cap Covers

Back
Top Bottom