EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: What the best breed of dog.  (Read 7265 times)

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
What the best breed of dog.
« on: December 07, 2016, 11:10:46 AM »
We just lost our dog about 2 months ago (medical issues incurable)  and it looks like we'll be getting another one soon. He was a miniature schnauzer.  He was a very good dog but started having medical issues where he turned 10 years old. These issues were inherent for this breed.   Anyone have any opinions on what would be the best breed of dog?  We'd like one with a good temperament, a small dog, has to love children and people especially strangers, not a barker or a yipper and is not likely to have inherent medical issues like some breeds. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:12:47 AM by Rene T »
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Bill and Debbie

• ---
Re: What the best breed of dog.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 11:22:49 AM »
Hugely personal question but IMO best breed is a Papillon....5-12 lbs. Very loyal, smart, agile and beautiful. Sheds a bit but beautiful coat. We traveled with 2 until we lost one of them at 16 1/2 years. Like all small dogs, have teeth cleaned once a year and begin checking anals around 5 years of age.

All dogs are great, but prefer small ones for traveling. Would also consider Westland Terriers or Yorkies. Can't imagine traveling without a dog.
William Bonsell
Poulsbo, WA

2010 CT Coachworks Siena 35V
1999 Cherokee Sport with Roadmaster Falcon 5250

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:25:10 AM »
We love our Sheltie. She meets all your requirements,literally the sweetest dog I've ever seen. We've never had an issue with her barking but I do understand some Shelties do
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:32:30 AM by Sun2Retire »
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 11:26:35 AM »
Pound puppy, Heinz 57, All American. You know, a mutt. Shelter dogs are the best.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 11:39:06 AM »
Other than size, labs meet all those criteria. Almost any breed or mix is going to start having medical issues by 10. 
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 11:42:56 AM »
Wendy is correct, all dogs have medical issues after about ten years of age. Wild wolves don't live that long so we are keeping them alive artificially. I think the best dog is a cat. You never have to walk them, they don't require much care and they are as neat as a pin. And they never bark or bite. Cheap to feed also. I go away for a few days at a time and they take care of themselves.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 11:44:52 AM »
I'm sure I'm prejudiced, but I've said many times that once you have a Yellow Lab no other breed will do.  Very loyal, loving, smart and flexible.   They are large, however.  Some have hip problems but ours did not.

winona

• ---
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 11:50:16 AM »
A lab, definitely a lab.  Lovable, doesn't bark unless someone comes to the door, loves everyone, excellent with people especially children, easily trained, good brains, loyal, and big enough to make people think twice if they're comin' at ya.
Winnebago Trend
Dorothy and Bailey, my big loveable lab

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 11:54:23 AM »
There are many breeds that fit your description, it really is a personal choice, but one that should be guided by the breed characteristics that best fits your lifestyle and you are able to handle.  Dog Breed Info is a good web source for specific breed information which should at least be a start to understand different breeds.  Also there are breed selector calculators which can help you drill down on a selection by inputting specific requirements you may have.  I would not dwell too much on health issues other than to understand what a specific breed is prone to, as most breeds have certain health issues.  There are some breeds considered "the healthiest" breeds, in that they seem to be mostly health issue free, but not only is that not a guarantee of great health, they also may not be the right breed for you.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 01:00:11 PM »
And individual dogs of any breed aren't really representative of it's respective breed. I will use our last dog as an example, a miniature poodle. Including the one we had, I know of four ore in the family. They are all different from each other. One is a yapper, one is really laid back, one is friendly with everyone, and ours was a rescue and had a bad puppy life and was timid, especially with respect to men, loves some children and didn't like others, and was partial to older women. The yapper seems more comfortable with men and small children than the other three. The laid back was a puppy mill rescue and can't jump. She can also get protective with her toys around other dogs. The friendly one doesn't really like other dogs, but will tolerate them. Ours tried to baby every dog that was around her. As you can see, there is a great variety among each breed. The individual dog, no matter what the breed is what you must look at.

I also don't agree with Tom about cats being the best dog, but I'm a dog person, not a cat person. Cats do need a lot of care, depending on the cat, and some cats do bite. They will also often claw furniture, walls, etc., even when provided a scratching post or pad. If they are kept inside, one has the hassle of taking care of a litter box. I'd rather walk the dog and pick up after it.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

rls7201

• ---
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 01:09:17 PM »
I'm going with the mutt. My buddy was a kennel mistake. She was half Keeshond, half Britney, 40 lbs. of wavy black hair and all love. Intelligent, well behaved, easily trained and lived 17½ years. She is missed.

Richard
Richard  & Michele Shields
& Eg the Bounder Cat
Gladstone, MO
95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker

Dickie125

• ---
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 01:53:09 PM »
Small dogs tend to be not what you are looking for.  Yea, there cute and cuddly, but they all tend to be yappy, and nippy.  Larger breeds tend to have shorter life expentency, but are generally more laid back.  You need to decide what sort of pet best suits your life style.  Personally we recently adopted our 4th Lab Lab mix and could not be happier.  Yea, larger poo piles, but they also demand exercise, so they have forced me to be more active in my golden years.  Maybe you should spend some time watching dogs101 on animal planet and get some ideas

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 02:41:50 PM »
Our first dog was our best dog. It was close to 40 years ago. Duke was a German Shepard tipping the scales at 120lbs. Loved us, friends, kids. Could hear someone walking on sidewalk from in the house with tv on.
Very mello until someone came to door and would watch my reaction as I opened it. He sensed fear or calmness in me and reacted properly.
Likely too big a breed for most but I miss him still.
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
Cummings ISBXT turbo 6.7L 360HP
Allison 3000MH
2018 Canyon All Terrain toad
"Official" snowbird!
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan
Preachers kid since day one!

NCsleeves

• ---
    • Tennis anyone?
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 04:30:18 PM »
Boston terriers are small, don't shed and generally are not yappy dogs.  It's like having a genial miniature bulldog.  But if longevity is key, I'd go with a small mixed breed dog.
2000 National RV Tradewinds
2008 Honda CRV
FMCA 204724D
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 04:37:27 PM »
The four dogs we've had in our family over the past 50 years have all been spayed female mixed breeds adopted from a local shelter. They've all been very loyal and lovable family members that responded well to training, and we dearly miss all of them. Their ages at passing ranged from 16 to 18 years, and other than one early heart worm episode before monthly meds were routinely given, none had any serious medical issues. Three of the four were shepherd mixes, with the other a setter mix. If we should decide to get another dog, it will definitely be another shelter female mix.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

dcbinvt

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 04:41:52 PM »
Best dogs are rescues - pick out an appropriate one. They never forget.

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »
We have the best of both worlds. Two small (mutt) dogs & one (fat) cat.

Our dogs are Rescue dogs of the Canardly Breed (Can Hardly tell What kind They Are). Depending on the angle you see them at determines what breed you think they might be. But the both have class and deportment. They don't bark, yip, yap or bite. They travel as if they weren't there, and Everyone is their friend, including other dogs & cats. Birds (?) not so much.

Our 20 pound cat fits the above but does meow now'n then, but only if he needs service of some sort*. He is in charge of the dogs. An occasional friendly "Thump" as they pass, reminds them of that.

All three are leash savvy, not under foot and mind their manners. 

It's All in what you like and need as a Pet. Small, Medium or Large, it's All Good. Ours are our Companions, our Traveling Buddies. If the FW goes.. They Go. When we start load'n.. they start jump'n.
 :) ;)

Joe

*Dogs have Owners... Cats have Staff.

Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 07:47:24 PM »
Mixed breeds really are the healthiest. Many of the health issues come from recessive genes which come up with too close breeding. Mixed breeds are less likely to have those issues because they are less likely to share the same genes on both sides.  I have several people who volunteer for private rescues, I can hook you up with one. :D
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 08:05:13 PM »
Pugs generally fit your criteria.  Small,usually good with kids.  However,they SHED.  You will find pug fur in everything! It doesn't really bother me but some people would hate it.  I find the rewards worth it.  Also, they are very sensitive to heat,like any "smush-face" dog.  AKC.org has breed info that might help.  Really,it's like the floor plan in an RV- what is best for YOUR lifestyle.
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500
1996 Dodge Ram 1500

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 07:45:36 AM »
   If you want a friend then get a dog and a cat, if you want two friends then get two dogs.

My preference is a Doberman, the size may seem excessive but we have had no problems and his size keeps people out of the campsite and is constantly the beginning of a discussion whenever we walk him. They shed very little, dont pick up dirt and require very little maintenance other than walks which is what most of us do anyway.

The one below has passed away but another from a local rescue has been adopted.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Buckeye4692002

• ---
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 08:11:28 AM »
We travel with a pair of 100 lb. + Golden Retrievers that meet all your criteria except size (health problems can be discovered when they're puppies).
For smaller dogs the Weaton Terrier or Skye Terrier are great, but can be a little yippie.  But, with a little training as a puppy they'll learn to watch not bark.
I'd suggest checking out the breed descriptions on www.akc.org.  Once you've settled on the right breed, find a shelter dog with the breed characteristics.
2009 Damon Daybreak 3370

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 08:34:47 AM »
Any one travel with a chiweenie??  Cute little dog, a mix between a Miniature Dachshund / Chihuahua

http://www.petguide.com/breeds/dog/chiweenie/

On edit: the only one I have seen WAS a rescue dog..... but they are "designer dogs".....
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:34:37 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 08:57:29 AM »

Dito this ...go to the pound and save one.

please don't support the puppy mill industry by buying an expensive little designer puppy.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:09:49 AM by TonyDtorch »

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 09:35:26 AM »
One thing to think about is getting a dog from a Rescue group, especially a dog that has been fostered. When they are foster out they are getting evaluated at the same time and the rescue will know their personality.  If they are good with other dogs, people, kids, and cats, they will know if they are barkers or have anxiety problems. Of course you know I prefer Dobermans but they are not for everyone.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 09:54:33 AM »
Dito this ...go to the pound and save one.

please don't support the puppy mill industry by buying an expensive little designer puppy.

YES, X2 !

Our local rescue program actually wants you take them home for a bit, to see if they work out for you, before any payment. If they don't for any reasons, you can take them back. They even gave us a little history of their past life and reasons for being given up.

One was a Pup, the other was 1-2 years old. No Matter, they melded right in to our lives. They are a part of US now.

Joe
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:12:29 AM by BIG JOE »
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 10:26:52 AM »
catblaster brought up an interesting point- fostering. That's something that may also work for you. The worst part is getting attached and then having to let the pup go a forever home.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Koodog

• ---
  • Another Day in Paradise - Lyons, CO
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2016, 09:12:29 AM »
Rescue!
02 Rexhall 3550BSL
Triton V10 powered
2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
Walt & Terry Sanford

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2016, 03:37:36 PM »
catblaster brought up an interesting point- fostering. That's something that may also work for you. The worst part is getting attached and then having to let the pup go a forever home.

You can always adopt the foster pet, and by fostering you have a chance to see how the pet interacts with family and others
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2016, 07:23:49 PM »
After many years of rescuing, my advice...
Don't focus on breed. Decide on approx. what size/weight you are looking for. Narrow options pertaining to personal concerns (allergies, available run/play space, children).
Rescues are everywhere. Local pet stores, local animal shelters, etc. They need homes too! Decide if you are looking for some kind of stupid designer breed, or a mutt found on the street somewhere that loves you to death because you gave it another chance.
Just sayin.
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2016, 07:41:05 PM »
After many years of rescuing, my advice...
Don't focus on breed. Decide on approx. what size/weight you are looking for. Narrow options pertaining to personal concerns (allergies, available run/play space, children).
Rescues are everywhere. Local pet stores, local animal shelters, etc. They need homes too! Decide if you are looking for some kind of stupid designer breed, or a mutt found on the street somewhere that loves you to death because you gave it another chance.
Just sayin.

RIGHT..... ON   !!

Joe
Joe

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2016, 08:19:03 PM »
There are plenty of purebred rescues too.  Don't feel bad if you prefer a certain breed.  If you really want a puppy,find a responsible breeder that will take the dog back if needed.  I'm against anyone who breeds but won't guarantee that pup won't wind up in the pound. 
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500
1996 Dodge Ram 1500

kwbush

• ---
  • South Jersey
    • The Buschs of Ruscombmanor Township and beyond...
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2016, 08:56:00 AM »
Rene, sorry for your loss... your original request was for a particular BREED of dog, I think, so to that end rather than get involved in the rescue, mutt, pure bred debate I'll give my 2 cents as to what breed I'd chose... You said it should be a smaller animal not a McBarker, nor a biter, good with children and adults alike... so without further ado my vote is for a Havanese. A smallish (about the size of a mini schnauzer) compact, good natured, NON-SHEDDING doggie. Info from the Havanese  web site:

Basic obedience training will teach skills you will use on a daily basis. The time you spend in training, especially during the first year of your pet’s life, will be repaid by giving you a well-behaved companion that is bonded to you and your family for the rest of his life. The Havanese are happy little athletes and loyal family companions. As therapy dogs Havanese bring smiles to faces in hospitals, nursing homes and libraries around the country. The Havanese is trainable and intelligent and possesses a naturally affectionate temperament, which making the breed an ideal family pet. Although a toy dog, they remain energetic and require some form of daily exercise.

We are replacing our departed Dalmation with one of these...

Keith
Keith & Laraine Bush

2005 Fleetwood Prowler 270FQS
1995 Chevy Silverado C2500

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.    Mark Twain

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2016, 10:03:14 AM »
Oh Rene, condolences, very sad when you lose a soul mate with paws.  I often find that you don't pick the dog, the dog picks you  ;) and I'm sure it will be a perfect match. Can't wait for the photo  :D
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

8th May to 30th October 2017 - Touring Western US

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »
I often find that you don't pick the dog, the dog picks you  ;) and I'm sure it will be a perfect match.

Well said. I have learned that just because someone had a certain breed of pet that was a gem and has passed, they want another of the same. Only to find out in time other issues come up you still have no control over. You never know.
I've been in your shoes a few times. Saying good bye and watching the needle go in. It never gets any easier. I say to myself that I can't do that again. You know what?...

We do it again! Another rescue. We like bigger dogs and are fond of German Shepards. But that's just us. It sounds like you might know what you want. All I am asking is to check out the rescues to maybe find one that fits the bill.
I'm also sorry for your loss. And I hope you find what you're looking for. 
Mark

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2016, 07:10:29 PM »
I have learned that just because someone had a certain breed of pet that was a gem and has passed, they want another of the same. Only to find out in time other issues come up you still have no control over.

Ain't that the truth.  We had to put down our Shepard many years ago. I'm only slightly biased, but she was the smartest dog in the world.

We got a new Shepard puppy, who was the runt of the litter. That title apparently extended to the brains department as well, because he was dumber than a box of rocks! We loved him, but we couldn't reach him anything. Those two dogs couldn't been more opposite, although they were the same breed.

wackymac

• ---
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2016, 07:28:27 PM »
Times 2, Tom.  The only thing we have to be careful of is to not let our orange (red) and white tabby on the bed in the rear of our RV.  If he hops on the bed the front wheels come off the ground.
2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 31H, 2001 F53 Ford chassis
2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab 2wd
2 cats:
10 year old red mackerel tabby with white, male, 26#,  leash trained--Rusty
10 year old black and white DLH, 14#, female--Penny
Home base---Ocala, FL

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2016, 07:50:59 PM »
Times 2, Tom.  The only thing we have to be careful of is to not let our orange (red) and white tabby on the bed in the rear of our RV.  If he hops on the bed the front wheels come off the ground.
LOL ;D ;D ;D
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

PapaRoe

• ---
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2016, 08:24:41 PM »
Well we deduced to get a dog again, and did a ton of research on character traits, and we we looking for one that will no shed, and is hypo allergenic. We selected a miniature Australian Labradoodle.  He turned out to be the smartest dog we have ever had.  He was extremely easy to train, and is affectionate, but not in you lap.  The best is that he LOVES to travel.

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2016, 09:32:15 PM »
You said it should be a smaller animal not a McBarker, nor a biter, good with children and adults alike... so without further ado my vote is for a Havanese.

I took a look at them. I didn't want to have to take out a second mortgage just to buy a pet. Looking at the breed, it does sounds real interesting dog. The cheapest I saw was $2250.00.
AKA  Pep N Mem

kwbush

• ---
  • South Jersey
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2016, 05:43:25 AM »
The cheapest I saw was $2250.00.

They can be expensive (my expensive is in the $750-900.00 range)
We are looking in the Lancaster, Pa area. There are a number of breeders there that sell below what I consider expensive.
Good luck locating your next co-pilot!

Keith
Keith & Laraine Bush

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.    Mark Twain

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2016, 07:55:23 AM »
They can be expensive (my expensive is in the $750-900.00 range)
We are looking in the Lancaster, Pa area. There are a number of breeders there that sell below what I consider expensive.
Good luck locating your next co-pilot!

Keith

I could probably live with $750 Keith.  Can you PM me with a couple of breeders in that area. It may be a possibility of a stop we could stop at on our way home in the spring.
AKA  Pep N Mem

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2016, 08:57:57 AM »
I'll put in another vote for Papillion. With judicial use of a muzzle to discourage barking/whining they are great companions.  They do require attention as they are people dogs, but you'll have a permanent puppy (Toby is eight and still seduces every visitor into throwing his chop).

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

kwbush

• ---
  • South Jersey
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2016, 05:27:54 PM »
I could probably live with $750 Keith.  Can you PM me with a couple of breeders in that area. It may be a possibility of a stop we could stop at on our way home in the spring.

Will do...

Keith
Keith & Laraine Bush

kwbush

• ---
  • South Jersey
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2016, 05:57:49 AM »

Hi Rene,

Forum says your in box was full so I went public,

I don't know what happened to my original attempt to PM you... I clicked on your name in the "To:" box and my message disappeared... Oh well here goes the second attempt.

https://www.lancasterpuppies.com/puppy-search/breed/havanese

As you can see there are some pups priced over what I quoted but there are numerous one's under $750.00
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the lower cost pups, usually an older dog (puppy) or fewer champions in its bloodline, but I doubt your looking for a show dog, more of a co-pilot huh?

Good luck with the search!  ;)

Keith
Keith & Laraine Bush

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2016, 07:55:46 AM »
https://www.lancasterpuppies.com/puppy-search/breed/havanese
As you can see there are some pups priced over what I quoted but there are numerous one's under $750.00
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the lower cost pups, usually an older dog (puppy) or fewer champions in its bloodline, but I doubt your looking for a show dog, more of a co-pilot huh?

Thanks Keith. I went in and deleted all my messages. I didn't realize that when someone sends me a PM, I thought it was just a regular E-Mail which it is but it also puts that same message in a message box in this forum. That's why it said my IN box was full. I had 41 messages which put me at 102% capacity.

I'm still up in the air about getting another pet. DW feels differently. She's a huge animal lover. It's been so nice to be able and just go anywhere as we please and not have to worry about a pet.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:10:21 AM by Rene T »
AKA  Pep N Mem

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2016, 08:39:16 AM »
I'm still up in the air about getting another pet. DW feels differently. She's a huge animal lover. It's been so nice to be able and just go anywhere as we please and not have to worry about a pet.

Deb and are in somewhat the same situation. This past summer, Deb tripped over Layla, the miniature poodle she had. It scared us both pretty bad due to the spine issues Deb has. She ended up giving Layla to her cousin, who has fell right in love with her. We now don't have a pet. I don't mind having a pet, but I'm not sure if I want one right now. We've got a lot going on in our lives right now. Deb stays home by herself all day while I work, and would like a pet for company, which I completely understand. I also know she has some reservations of getting another pet, but she would get over that pretty quick if she got one. It would have to be a small dog. I have been doing some snooping, and figured out she would like to a Boston Terrier. If I find a Boston that needs rescuing, and if it seems to be a good for for us and us a good fit for it, I'd most likely get it for her though. Follow your heart.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

kwbush

• ---
  • South Jersey
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2016, 11:17:39 AM »

I'm still up in the air about getting another pet.

Hey Rene I completely understand, just giving my 2 cents worth which sometime is a penny too much!  :(

Be well!  ;)

Keith
Keith & Laraine Bush

svrapture

• ---
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2016, 12:04:33 PM »
Most ideas have already been said, but I do have something to add. The "breed" IMHO is only good for size and physical characteristics. The temperament of a specific dog is really far more important.. once again IMHO.

Along those lines, we sailed with 2 great danes on our boat for years. They were wonderful dogs.. and great boat dogs (other than the male getting seasick from time to time - he had no problem bashing into waves or running with them, but the rollies on the beam really got to him). You wouldn't think small horses would be good boat dogs, but they loved boating and we loved them.

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2016, 01:05:58 PM »
I really appreciate all the input you guys have given me. Now we have to think on it. Thanks.
AKA  Pep N Mem

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2016, 05:08:14 PM »
     Dont rush it Rene, maybe the right one will come walking up to you. When are you coming back down?
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2016, 05:25:13 PM »
I'm here now Will. We've been here since Oct 18th.
AKA  Pep N Mem

2PeasNAPod

• Retired and loving it!
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2016, 07:01:29 PM »
Airedale Terrier hands down! You've had a Schnauzer, so familiar with Terriers.  Welcome to the King of Terriers.  We've traveled with our ADT Portia since she was 8 weeks old.  She loves to camp as much as we do and people flock around her wherever we go.  The attached pic is our Portia at Blue Water RV Park in the Florida Keyes.  Once you have experienced life with an Airedale you are a fan for life.
Chevy 2500
Sunnybrook 32' Fiver
Lance 820 TC

nibroc

• ---
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2016, 07:53:36 PM »
australian shepherd..... :)

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2016, 09:52:30 PM »
australian shepherd..... :)

I SAID SMALL. We did have a mutt one time that had some AS in it's blood. He was a very good dog.
AKA  Pep N Mem

kwbush

• ---
  • South Jersey
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »
I SAID SMALL. We did have a mutt one time that had some AS in it's blood. He was a very good dog.

Sheesh... You did mention you wanted a small dog... I guess people are pulling your leg, huh?  >:(

OBTW... how about a St. Bernard or maybe a Great Dane?   ::) Naw, they're too small, how about a Shetland pony?  :-\
Oh, this post is outa control. Sorry Rene...  :-[  ROTFLOL!
Keith
Keith & Laraine Bush

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2016, 10:35:28 AM »
The very best small dog, hands down, is a Maltese.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2016, 11:16:10 AM »
The very best small dog, hands down, is a Maltese.

When my youngest was still married to his now ex-wife, they had three of them. I can't hardly stand them. They take a lot of time and effort to keep groomed correctly, and it seems like one can't break them of the habit of licking one's hands and face. I really don't want an animal  to start licking on me after it has been licking it's butt and other things. And don't give me that crap about a dogs mouth is cleaner than a humans. That's just an old wive's tale for people justifying why they let their dog lick them. And every Maltese I've seen is a yapper.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2016, 12:56:58 PM »
Australian shepherd..... :)

Just wondered how you are doing...

I also had an Australian Shepard/German Shepard mix. 50/50%. Best dog I ever had. Smart as a whip. Only defect was fear of fireworks (loud explosions).
MY fault for that defect. I didn't think of the training for that after my wife purchased the puppy of 6 weeks old from a pet food store.
Rescued.

That puppy spent 12 years with us. Bone cancer got the best of him. I still shed a tear. He was my "puppy".

My point...
Was he a small, lap type dog? Probably not. Not by most people's way of thinking.
However, he was the 2nd most behaved pet we ever had, Number one goes to a Great Dane/Doberman mix that my DW had when we got together.
Go figure.

As I mentioned before...
You never know.
Mark

Dr. Seuss

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2016, 09:02:57 PM »
Well we did it. Picked up the newest addition to our family. We ended up with a 9 week old Chihuahua. So far he's been great. We spread out 5 or 6 pee pads and he's been going on one of them all day long. No accidents at all knock on wood. Not sure what it's going to be like tonight.
AKA  Pep N Mem

Dream Chasers

• ---
  • Be Brave - Take Risks - Nothing Beats Experience
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2016, 09:15:48 PM »
Congrats! Please post a picture when you get a chance.
Sheryl & Bobby and Roxie the Yorkie
Polk City, Florida
2015 Forest River Berkshire 34QS
2011 Honda CRV SE

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2016, 02:35:09 AM »
Congrats. You are going to bring it to the rally?
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2016, 05:31:27 AM »
Adorable Rene, I've  had a few, they're feisty wee things but adorable. Two we had used to fight over who got to wrap themselves round my dad's neck when he was in his armchair, the other would lie in his lap. That was in the days before remote control TVs so if my dad wanted another channel, he would shout my mum through from the kitchen to turn it over, so the dogs weren't disturbed. He loved those dogs.  :o  Photos please..

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2016, 06:54:19 AM »
Congratulations on the new pup!
Just a word about the pads though, I have a friend that used pads for her dog as a pup. She's somewhat housebroke now at about 3 years old, but still thinks it's ok to pee on a rug that even closely resembles a pee pad.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2016, 07:46:55 AM »
Congratulations on the new pup!
Just a word about the pads though, I have a friend that used pads for her dog as a pup. She's somewhat housebroke now at about 3 years old, but still thinks it's ok to pee on a rug that even closely resembles a pee pad.

Thanks. We are using them only because the seller and our Vet said not to put him on the ground until he has all his shots. Then his immune system will be up and functioning.   
AKA  Pep N Mem

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2016, 08:37:07 AM »
Thanks. We are using them only because the seller and our Vet said not to put him on the ground until he has all his shots. Then his immune system will be up and functioning.   

I learn something new every day. I hadn't heard that before, but it makes sense.
I'm sure you guys will enjoy a lot of good times with him.

BTW, if there's no pics, then he really doesn't exist! ;D

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Desert_Rat

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2016, 09:09:20 AM »
So many wrong answers in a single thread

Of course, the Border Collie is the best breed, sillies!

;D ;D ;D

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2016, 10:19:46 AM »

Try newspapers.....

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2016, 10:48:36 AM »
Try newspapers.....

What's good about these pads is that the bottom is lined with some type of plastic so it doesn't soak through.
AKA  Pep N Mem

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2016, 11:44:23 AM »
BTW, if there's no pics, then he really doesn't exist! ;D

Indoors of course, on the back of the couch basking in the FL sun trying to get a tan.  Click on the picture to open it.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:49:49 AM by Rene T »
AKA  Pep N Mem

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2016, 12:01:39 PM »
You said several times throughout the thread you wanted a small dog. One rung up from teacup?....That's a small dog!

Reminds me of my neighbors. Years ago this Chihuahua was running around the neighborhood lost. A week went by and it was still wandering around. My long time neighbor was getting concerned as much as I. I just could never trap that little bugger. He was quick! We finally cornered him and my neighbor took him in. The notices went up all over the neighborhood. As well as calls to the local animal shelters and vets. No ID chip. No replies.
After close to a month of failure in finding the true owner, it was off to their long time vet with a new permanent family member. All was well. A lucky find.

That Chihuahua turned out to be the most spoiled dog on the planet! Their best buddy. Both dog and rescuers were a very happy family for the rest of dog's days.

Congrats, Rene! I truly hope your puppy grows up to be just as special!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 01:01:41 PM by denmarc »
Mark

Dr. Seuss

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2016, 12:13:19 PM »
Indoors of course, on the back of the couch basking in the FL sun trying to get a tan.  Click on the picture to open it.
He is awesome. ;D
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2016, 12:33:13 PM »
Yep, cute lil' bugger.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2016, 12:52:53 PM »
    I agree, he's a cutie.  You'll have to bring him up to meet Zev to see if they bond too.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2016, 05:34:26 PM »
Last night was the first night living with us and away from his siblings. Went to sleep at 11:00, woke up at 3:00 and had to pee and poop. Went right back to sleep and woke back up at 8:00. Doesn't get much better than that.   :) :D
AKA  Pep N Mem

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2016, 07:50:29 PM »
Oh my he's cute! Has he got a name yet?

Just thought newspaper as a different feel from the pad, you could put pad under the paper if concerned about him thinking ok to pee on carpet.  Just a thought. He'll probably be fine.

Oh and one more thing, watch him if you see any great Danes,  my first chihuahua went for the jugular of a great dane with no provocation and he was a real quiet chap normally  :o
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:59:51 PM by jackiemac »

kwbush

• ---
  • South Jersey
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2016, 07:44:49 AM »

Congratulations on the new pup!  8)

Keith
Keith & Laraine Bush

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2016, 08:04:07 AM »
Oh my he's cute! Has he got a name yet?

His name is Buddy. I changed my signature yesterday. I guess you didn't see it. That's OK.
AKA  Pep N Mem

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2016, 10:17:09 AM »
His name is Buddy. I changed my signature yesterday. I guess you didn't see it. That's OK.

No I didn't, love it!  ;D

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2016, 10:38:58 AM »
Buddys make the best dogs. :)
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2016, 06:43:21 PM »
My most favorite dog breed has been my Newfoundlands. They are the best with people, children, and other animals.  Everyone and everything is their best friend. They are called gentle giants and are true to their name. No barking unless in play with these guys.
To bad they are 180 and 145 pounds. Not lap dogs even though that is where they want to be. Maybe I can use another RV as a tow for them when we go out. :D
D & D
2015 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

Tejas Two

« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2017, 09:57:20 PM »
How about a Pet Rock?  They're quiet, clean, don't eat much yadda, yadda.
I suppose since this is an RV forum the smaller dogs will win out . 
But my choice is Greyhounds. We travel with two.
What's the best dog??  You'll know when He or She looks at you.  Something will go SNAP and that's yer dog.

Just For Fun

• ---
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2017, 10:34:49 PM »
Rene T:

My suggestion is simple: Let the dog pick you.

Go to one or more "no-kill" pet shelters. When there, get permission to go into the cage with dog(s) you feel an odd bonding with.

If you're fortunate and find a litter, again, go into the cage and sit down. Without any motion on your part, see which dog(s) come to you. We've been extremely fortunate in the past when faced with a lost of a dear one. We've done this and have ALWAYS found the PERFECT one for us.

Let the dog pick you. ;) :)
Our endless search of roads less traveled.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2017, 06:48:16 AM »
^^^Yep^^^ That's what just happened a couple of days ago with my wife. Even though she kinda picked the dog, the dog picked her. :) 8)

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2017, 09:53:59 AM »
Hey Rene...
Figure out how where to get taco flavored dog treats yet?  ;)
Hope all is well with the new puppy.
Mark

Dr. Seuss

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2017, 11:01:35 AM »
He's a American/Mexican dog. He eats American treats.   ;D :D ;)
And we're teaching him to speak English.
AKA  Pep N Mem

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »
He's a American/Mexican dog. He eats American treats.   ;D :D ;)
And we're teaching him to speak English.

When we went to Pompano Beach to pick up our rescue the first question I asked was "does he understand English"?
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2017, 02:12:24 PM »
    When we went to Pompano Beach to pick up our rescue the first question I asked was "does he understand English"?
My last dog understood English better than many people I know. He was also psychic.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2017, 06:51:11 PM »
Reminded me of this...

A guy is driving around the back woods and he sees a sign in front of a broken down, shanty-style house: "Talking Dog For Sale." He rings the bell and the owner appears and tells him the dog is in the backyard.
The guy goes into the backyard and sees a nice looking Labrador retriever sitting there.
"You talk?" he asks.
"Yep," the Lab replies.
After the guy recovers from the shock of hearing a dog talk, he says "So, what's your story?"
The Lab looks up and says, "Well, I discovered that I could talk when I was pretty young. I wanted to help the government, so I told the CIA. In no time at all they had me jetting from country to country, sitting in rooms with spies and world leaders, because no one figured a dog would be eavesdropping.
"I was one of their most valuable spies for eight years running. But the jetting around really tired me out, and I knew I wasn't getting any younger so I decided to settle down. I signed up for a job at the airport to do some undercover security, wandering near suspicious characters and listening in. I uncovered some incredible dealings and was awarded a batch of medals.
"I got married, had a mess of puppies, and now I'm just retired."
The guy is amazed. He goes back in and asks the owner what he wants for the dog.
"Ten dollars," the guy says.
"Ten dollars? This dog is amazing! Why on earth are you selling him so cheap??"
"Because the dog's a damn liar. He never did any of that."     ;D

kwbush

• ---
  • South Jersey
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2017, 07:57:23 AM »
After I wiped the tears of laughter from my eyes I realized that the joke mirrors life in as much as most people can't see the forest for all the trees!

Thanx!

Keith
Keith & Laraine Bush

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2017, 08:17:03 AM »
After I wiped the tears of laughter from my eyes I realized that the joke mirrors life in as much as most people can't see the forest for all the trees!

Thanx!

Keith

;D

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
Hey Rene, how is Buddy getting on? 🐶

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2017, 12:21:16 PM »
Hey Rene, how is Buddy getting on? 🐶

He's awesome as much as I hate to say it. He was 3 months old yesterday. Paper trained almost all the time. Still sleeps a lot like a baby.
AKA  Pep N Mem

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2017, 02:07:45 PM »
Great. I'm jealous!