What the best breed of dog.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
We just lost our dog about 2 months ago (medical issues incurable)  and it looks like we'll be getting another one soon. He was a miniature schnauzer.  He was a very good dog but started having medical issues where he turned 10 years old. These issues were inherent for this breed.  Anyone have any opinions on what would be the best breed of dog?  We'd like one with a good temperament, a small dog, has to love children and people especially strangers, not a barker or a yipper and is not likely to have inherent medical issues like some breeds. 

Hugely personal question but IMO best breed is a Papillon....5-12 lbs. Very loyal, smart, agile and beautiful. Sheds a bit but beautiful coat. We traveled with 2 until we lost one of them at 16 1/2 years. Like all small dogs, have teeth cleaned once a year and begin checking anals around 5 years of age.

All dogs are great, but prefer small ones for traveling. Would also consider Westland Terriers or Yorkies. Can't imagine traveling without a dog.

We love our Sheltie. She meets all your requirements,literally the sweetest dog I've ever seen. We've never had an issue with her barking but I do understand some Shelties do

Other than size, labs meet all those criteria. Almost any breed or mix is going to start having medical issues by 10. 

Wendy is correct, all dogs have medical issues after about ten years of age. Wild wolves don't live that long so we are keeping them alive artificially. I think the best dog is a cat. You never have to walk them, they don't require much care and they are as neat as a pin. And they never bark or bite. Cheap to feed also. I go away for a few days at a time and they take care of themselves.

I'm sure I'm prejudiced, but I've said many times that once you have a Yellow Lab no other breed will do.  Very loyal, loving, smart and flexible.  They are large, however.  Some have hip problems but ours did not.

A lab, definitely a lab.  Lovable, doesn't bark unless someone comes to the door, loves everyone, excellent with people especially children, easily trained, good brains, loyal, and big enough to make people think twice if they're comin' at ya.

There are many breeds that fit your description, it really is a personal choice, but one that should be guided by the breed characteristics that best fits your lifestyle and you are able to handle.  Dog Breed Info is a good web source for specific breed information which should at least be a start to understand different breeds.  Also there are breed selector calculators which can help you drill down on a selection by inputting specific requirements you may have.  I would not dwell too much on health issues other than to understand what a specific breed is prone to, as most breeds have certain health issues.  There are some breeds considered "the healthiest" breeds, in that they seem to be mostly health issue free, but not only is that not a guarantee of great health, they also may not be the right breed for you.

And individual dogs of any breed aren't really representative of it's respective breed. I will use our last dog as an example, a miniature poodle. Including the one we had, I know of four ore in the family. They are all different from each other. One is a yapper, one is really laid back, one is friendly with everyone, and ours was a rescue and had a bad puppy life and was timid, especially with respect to men, loves some children and didn't like others, and was partial to older women. The yapper seems more comfortable with men and small children than the other three. The laid back was a puppy mill rescue and can't jump. She can also get protective with her toys around other dogs. The friendly one doesn't really like other dogs, but will tolerate them. Ours tried to baby every dog that was around her. As you can see, there is a great variety among each breed. The individual dog, no matter what the breed is what you must look at.

I also don't agree with Tom about cats being the best dog, but I'm a dog person, not a cat person. Cats do need a lot of care, depending on the cat, and some cats do bite. They will also often claw furniture, walls, etc., even when provided a scratching post or pad. If they are kept inside, one has the hassle of taking care of a litter box. I'd rather walk the dog and pick up after it.

I'm going with the mutt. My buddy was a kennel mistake. She was half Keeshond, half Britney, 40 lbs. of wavy black hair and all love. Intelligent, well behaved, easily trained and lived 17? years. She is missed.

Richard

Small dogs tend to be not what you are looking for.  Yea, there cute and cuddly, but they all tend to be yappy, and nippy.  Larger breeds tend to have shorter life expentency, but are generally more laid back.  You need to decide what sort of pet best suits your life style.  Personally we recently adopted our 4th Lab Lab mix and could not be happier.  Yea, larger poo piles, but they also demand exercise, so they have forced me to be more active in my golden years.  Maybe you should spend some time watching dogs101 on animal planet and get some ideas

Our first dog was our best dog. It was close to 40 years ago. Duke was a German Shepard tipping the scales at 120lbs. Loved us, friends, kids. Could hear someone walking on sidewalk from in the house with tv on.
Very mello until someone came to door and would watch my reaction as I opened it. He sensed fear or calmness in me and reacted properly.
Likely too big a breed for most but I miss him still.

Boston terriers are small, don't shed and generally are not yappy dogs.  It's like having a genial miniature bulldog.  But if longevity is key, I'd go with a small mixed breed dog.

The four dogs we've had in our family over the past 50 years have all been spayed female mixed breeds adopted from a local shelter. They've all been very loyal and lovable family members that responded well to training, and we dearly miss all of them. Their ages at passing ranged from 16 to 18 years, and other than one early heart worm episode before monthly meds were routinely given, none had any serious medical issues. Three of the four were shepherd mixes, with the other a setter mix. If we should decide to get another dog, it will definitely be another shelter female mix.

We have the best of both worlds. Two small (mutt) dogs & one (fat) cat.

Our dogs are Rescue dogs of the Canardly Breed (Can Hardly tell What kind They Are). Depending on the angle you see them at determines what breed you think they might be. But the both have class and deportment. They don't bark, yip, yap or bite. They travel as if they weren't there, and Everyone is their friend, including other dogs & cats. Birds (?) not so much.

Our 20 pound cat fits the above but does meow now'n then, but only if he needs service of some sort*. He is in charge of the dogs. An occasional friendly "Thump" as they pass, reminds them of that.

All three are leash savvy, not under foot and mind their manners. 

It's All in what you like and need as a Pet. Small, Medium or Large, it's All Good. Ours are our Companions, our Traveling Buddies. If the FW goes.. They Go. When we start load'n.. they start jump'n.
:) ;)

Joe

*Dogs have Owners... Cats have Staff.

Mixed breeds really are the healthiest. Many of the health issues come from recessive genes which come up with too close breeding. Mixed breeds are less likely to have those issues because they are less likely to share the same genes on both sides.  I have several people who volunteer for private rescues, I can hook you up with one. :D

Pugs generally fit your criteria.  Small,usually good with kids.  However,they SHED.  You will find pug fur in everything! It doesn't really bother me but some people would hate it.  I find the rewards worth it.  Also, they are very sensitive to heat,like any "smush-face" dog.  AKC.org has breed info that might help.  Really,it's like the floor plan in an RV- what is best for YOUR lifestyle.

If you want a friend then get a dog and a cat, if you want two friends then get two dogs.

My preference is a Doberman, the size may seem excessive but we have had no problems and his size keeps people out of the campsite and is constantly the beginning of a discussion whenever we walk him. They shed very little, dont pick up dirt and require very little maintenance other than walks which is what most of us do anyway.

The one below has passed away but another from a local rescue has been adopted.

Attachments

• 490 (Medium).jpg
    490 (Medium).jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 58 (Medium).jpg
    58 (Medium).jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom