What the best breed of dog.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We travel with a pair of 100 lb. + Golden Retrievers that meet all your criteria except size (health problems can be discovered when they're puppies).
For smaller dogs the Weaton Terrier or Skye Terrier are great, but can be a little yippie.  But, with a little training as a puppy they'll learn to watch not bark.
I'd suggest checking out the breed descriptions on www.akc.org.  Once you've settled on the right breed, find a shelter dog with the breed characteristics.

dcbinvt said:
Best dogs are rescues - pick out an appropriate one. They never forget.

Dito this ...go to the pound and save one.

please don't support the puppy mill industry by buying an expensive little designer puppy.

One thing to think about is getting a dog from a Rescue group, especially a dog that has been fostered. When they are foster out they are getting evaluated at the same time and the rescue will know their personality.  If they are good with other dogs, people, kids, and cats, they will know if they are barkers or have anxiety problems. Of course you know I prefer Dobermans but they are not for everyone.

TonyDtorch said:
Dito this ...go to the pound and save one.

please don't support the puppy mill industry by buying an expensive little designer puppy.
dcbinvt said:
Best dogs are rescues - pick out an appropriate one. They never forget.

YES, X2 !

Our local rescue program actually wants you take them home for a bit, to see if they work out for you, before any payment. If they don't for any reasons, you can take them back. They even gave us a little history of their past life and reasons for being given up.

One was a Pup, the other was 1-2 years old. No Matter, they melded right in to our lives. They are a part of US now.

Joe

catblaster brought up an interesting point- fostering. That's something that may also work for you. The worst part is getting attached and then having to let the pup go a forever home.

kdbgoat said:
catblaster brought up an interesting point- fostering. That's something that may also work for you. The worst part is getting attached and then having to let the pup go a forever home.

You can always adopt the foster pet, and by fostering you have a chance to see how the pet interacts with family and others

After many years of rescuing, my advice...
Don't focus on breed. Decide on approx. what size/weight you are looking for. Narrow options pertaining to personal concerns (allergies, available run/play space, children).
Rescues are everywhere. Local pet stores, local animal shelters, etc. They need homes too! Decide if you are looking for some kind of stupid designer breed, or a mutt found on the street somewhere that loves you to death because you gave it another chance.
Just sayin.

denmarc said:
After many years of rescuing, my advice...
Don't focus on breed. Decide on approx. what size/weight you are looking for. Narrow options pertaining to personal concerns (allergies, available run/play space, children).
Rescues are everywhere. Local pet stores, local animal shelters, etc. They need homes too! Decide if you are looking for some kind of stupid designer breed, or a mutt found on the street somewhere that loves you to death because you gave it another chance.
Just sayin.

RIGHT..... ON  !!

Joe

There are plenty of purebred rescues too.  Don't feel bad if you prefer a certain breed.  If you really want a puppy,find a responsible breeder that will take the dog back if needed.  I'm against anyone who breeds but won't guarantee that pup won't wind up in the pound. 

Rene, sorry for your loss... your original request was for a particular BREED of dog, I think, so to that end rather than get involved in the rescue, mutt, pure bred debate I'll give my 2 cents as to what breed I'd chose... You said it should be a smaller animal not a McBarker, nor a biter, good with children and adults alike... so without further ado my vote is for a Havanese. A smallish (about the size of a mini schnauzer) compact, good natured, NON-SHEDDING doggie. Info from the Havanese  web site:

Basic obedience training will teach skills you will use on a daily basis. The time you spend in training, especially during the first year of your pet?s life, will be repaid by giving you a well-behaved companion that is bonded to you and your family for the rest of his life. The Havanese are happy little athletes and loyal family companions. As therapy dogs Havanese bring smiles to faces in hospitals, nursing homes and libraries around the country. The Havanese is trainable and intelligent and possesses a naturally affectionate temperament, which making the breed an ideal family pet. Although a toy dog, they remain energetic and require some form of daily exercise.

We are replacing our departed Dalmation with one of these...

Keith

Attachments

• Havanese pup.jpg
    Havanese pup.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 28
Oh Rene, condolences, very sad when you lose a soul mate with paws.  I often find that you don't pick the dog, the dog picks you  ;) and I'm sure it will be a perfect match. Can't wait for the photo  :D

jackiemac said:
I often find that you don't pick the dog, the dog picks you  ;) and I'm sure it will be a perfect match.

Well said. I have learned that just because someone had a certain breed of pet that was a gem and has passed, they want another of the same. Only to find out in time other issues come up you still have no control over. You never know.
I've been in your shoes a few times. Saying good bye and watching the needle go in. It never gets any easier. I say to myself that I can't do that again. You know what?...

We do it again! Another rescue. We like bigger dogs and are fond of German Shepards. But that's just us. It sounds like you might know what you want. All I am asking is to check out the rescues to maybe find one that fits the bill.
I'm also sorry for your loss. And I hope you find what you're looking for. 

denmarc said:
I have learned that just because someone had a certain breed of pet that was a gem and has passed, they want another of the same. Only to find out in time other issues come up you still have no control over.

Ain't that the truth.  We had to put down our Shepard many years ago. I'm only slightly biased, but she was the smartest dog in the world.

We got a new Shepard puppy, who was the runt of the litter. That title apparently extended to the brains department as well, because he was dumber than a box of rocks! We loved him, but we couldn't reach him anything. Those two dogs couldn't been more opposite, although they were the same breed.

Times 2, Tom.  The only thing we have to be careful of is to not let our orange (red) and white tabby on the bed in the rear of our RV.  If he hops on the bed the front wheels come off the ground.

wackymac said:
Times 2, Tom.  The only thing we have to be careful of is to not let our orange (red) and white tabby on the bed in the rear of our RV.  If he hops on the bed the front wheels come off the ground.
LOL ;D ;D ;D

Well we deduced to get a dog again, and did a ton of research on character traits, and we we looking for one that will no shed, and is hypo allergenic. We selected a miniature Australian Labradoodle.  He turned out to be the smartest dog we have ever had.  He was extremely easy to train, and is affectionate, but not in you lap.  The best is that he LOVES to travel.

kwbush said:
You said it should be a smaller animal not a McBarker, nor a biter, good with children and adults alike... so without further ado my vote is for a Havanese.

I took a look at them. I didn't want to have to take out a second mortgage just to buy a pet. Looking at the breed, it does sounds real interesting dog. The cheapest I saw was $2250.00.

Rene T said:
The cheapest I saw was $2250.00.

They can be expensive (my expensive is in the $750-900.00 range)
We are looking in the Lancaster, Pa area. There are a number of breeders there that sell below what I consider expensive.
Good luck locating your next co-pilot!

Keith

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom