RIP John Glenn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Heard the sad news on the drive home today. John Glenn had a very long and distinguished career. Several months ago I watched (live) on TV the ceremony where they renamed the Columbus airport after him. RIP John Glenn, American hero.

Tom said:
Heard the sad news on the drive home today. John Glenn had a very long and distinguished career. Several months ago I watched (live) on TV the ceremony where they renamed the Columbus airport after him. RIP John Glenn, American hero.

X2
As kids, we envisioned orbiting the earth like John Glenn. A True American that served his country for many years. He will be missed!

We hadn't heard, so thanks for posting it, Tom.  The first man on the moon.  I'll never forget it.  Most of the world must have been watching as it happened.  What a thrill!  Yes, rest in peace , John Glenn.

ArdraF

He was also the first American to orbit the Earth.

The first man on the moon.

No, that was Neil Armstrong (with Buzz Aldrin shortly after). Glenn was the first American to orbit the earth. Gagarin was the first in orbit.

Glenn's autobiography, John Glenn: A Memoir (very thick in paperback) is a good read, too. I plan to re-read it as soon as I finish re-reading Bob Hoover's Forever Flying (autobiography), also a good read. Hoover (Yeager's chase pilot when breaking the sound barrier and well known airshow performer) just died Oct. 25th at age 94.

Larry, you're right.  Thanks for the correction.  I think I'm brain dead today.  Sigh...  Anyway, John Glenn had a very distinguished career as both an astronaut and a senator.  ANY astronaut is brave in my book and even more so those who were among the first in space.

ArdraF

I can remember it was a big deal to watch the launches and splashdowns.  Always seemed to be the USS Wasp that was there for the recovery.

It is hard to imagine, he was immortal. I remember watching the coverage on small screen b&w tv, fascinating stuff for a 12 year old. I don't know, it just seemed so improbable. RIP John, you were one of a kind.

RIP John Glenn. A real American hero, but the real hero in the family is his wife Annie:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/12/09/to-john-glenn-the-real-hero-was-his-wife-annie-conqueror-of-disability/?utm_term=.e737ec62b185#comments

Tom, thank you for bringing this to light.  I never knew of his wife's disability.  It is an honor to him that he backed her up like he did.  They should both be honored more for 73 years of marriage than anything else.

You are welcome Charlie. They kind of glossed over it in The Right Stuff. Many years ago I got to spend a weekend in the presence of Gordon Cooper. Got to discuss planes, space and lots of cool things. He was at the table next to my table at a sports card show in the Bay Area. I was in heaven.

I lived in South Florida during the Mercury, and Gemini heydays. When they were launching the Mercury missions, our whole school would go out to the football field and watch the launch. Our history and science teachers always had a TV showing news coverage of the missions.
I met John Glenn twice. He was a powerful, yet humble presence in the world.

boatbuilder said:
Tom, thank you for bringing this to light.  I never knew of his wife's disability.  It is an honor to him that he backed her up like he did.  They should both be honored more for 73 years of marriage than anything else.

Glenn went into this quite a bit in his autobiography. There's a lot of good, "inside", information in that book -- a good read.

Larry N. said:
Glenn went into this quite a bit in his autobiography. There's a lot of good, "inside", information in that book -- a good read.
Thanks Larry. I checked my local library and they did not have the book so I ordered it from Amazon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom