EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Nissan Titan and towing  (Read 1465 times)

rbpts187

• ---
Nissan Titan and towing
« on: December 08, 2016, 09:25:16 PM »
I am new to this site and have a Nissan Titan that has a combined weight for towing, cargo, etc., of 15,000 lbs. The truck weighs about 5,300 lbs. and has a towing capacity of 9,500 lbs. I can't remember the hitch weight capacity, but upward of 1,000 I think. The camper I just sold was about 4,500 lbs with a tongue weight of 450. It pulled it easily and go 9.5-11 mpg.

My question involves reasonable towing capacity for a new camper. I am looking at travel trailers ranging from 5,200 to 6,200 dry weight. Is this higher number a reasonable towing or can I reasonably go slightly higher and expect normal towing from my truck?

Second, does a fifth wheel tow easier and would that make a difference as far as weight goes? They seem to be a little bit heavier for the same length, but I have found some that come in around 6,500 to low 7,000 lbs in dry weight. I know about the added weight of cargo that has to be considered in these figures as well.

Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks you in advance!

MN Blue Skies

• ---
  • Favorite saying: "It depends."
Re: Nissan Titan and towing
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 09:36:19 PM »
Hi.  Welcome to the RV FORUM  There are many experienced towing and weight gurus on the Forum that will be being chiming in to answer your questions.
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

2013 Cougar High Country 315 RES ( A 35' 5th Wheel)
"Big Blue" 2012 RAM 3500 Big Horn (Cummins Diesel 1 ton)

rbpts187

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:09:44 AM »
Hey, folks, just wanted to add some info that might help. The travel trailers I am considering have a GVWR 6,700 lbs to 7,500 lbs. The 5th wheel has a GVWR of 8,200 lbs. I hope this helps. Thanks!

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 07:55:11 AM »
I don't think that Titan will have enough payload for that fifth wheel. The pin weight will be around 1640#. That's not counting the weight of the hitch and anything else you put in the truck. You will be a lot better off with a travel trailer than a fiver.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 09:49:53 AM »
Kdbgoat is right. The Titan lacks the payload to carry the pin weight of any 5W in the 8000 lb range. 5W pin weight is at least 20% of the loaded weight and often more like 23-25%. Most half ton trucks have a max payload of around 1500 lbs, and that has to cover the weight of the hitch  and passengers as well as the 5W pin weight. Check you numbers, but a 5W that bog is almost surely too much.

Travel trailer tongue weights run 10-12%, so that should be no problem. Use the trailer GVWR, not the dry weight, and estimate the tongue weight (what the hitch has to carry) at 10% of that and you should be close to real values.  Try to stay under the max (15,000 combined) by a 1000 lb or so, and don't forget that you will have passengers and gear in the truck as well. Best to get the truck weighed with the normal passengers and such onboard, then subtract that to find your real trailer towing capacity. It is likely somewhat less than that 9500 on the spec sheet.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

2016-f-250

• ---
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 10:49:53 AM »
Hey, folks, just wanted to add some info that might help. The travel trailers I am considering have a GVWR 6,700 lbs to 7,500 lbs. The 5th wheel has a GVWR of 8,200 lbs. I hope this helps. Thanks!

I have a f250 diesel and my payload is shy over 2000lbs. 8200 lbs is pushing it for me and barely leaves wiggle room for passengers and cargo. I would say the Titan  will not cut it. 1640 lbs at the hitch is quite a bit for a half ton, what is your payload capacity?
2016 f-250 lariat 6.7 diesel
2004 Fleetwood fifth wheel looking to upgrade to newer and bigger

Punomatic

• ---
    • Life in Black and Blue
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 11:01:17 AM »
I have had similar experience to yours, towing a trailer about the size of your old one with my Titan. It tows like a dream. I am certain you don't have the payload capacity for an 8,000# FW. OTOH, you can probably tow more TT than your 4,500 pounder. Gary RV Roamer gave you some good advice about crunching the numbers. I would follow that advice when picking out your new rig.
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
DW and me and Pogo (the neurotic terrier-gone to the rainbow bridge) and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie)

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 06:07:49 PM »
First, welcome to the Forum.  You will get many uncensored, honest opinions here.

Gary is absolutely right.

FW do handle better, and there IS a big difference in weights. 
For a TT, the hitch is typically 100# and the truck only carries about 10% of the total TT weight on the tongue. 
For a FW, double those numbers.  The hitch will be 200# or more and the pin wt will be at least 20% of the total FW weight.   
THERE IS NO WAY A TITAN WILL SAFELY TOW ANY FW.  I am sure someone will argue the point, claiming their bare bones Titan is fully capable of towing a 5,000# FW.  Maybe so.

You CAN safely tow a decent TT.

What is your payload?  Get this on the yellow label on the driver door B pillar or weigh the truck.  Truck GVWR  -  actual weight = Payload.

The most TT hitch weight you can tow is   Payload - weight of all passengers  -  weight of all truck cargo  - 80# (WD hitch).

Take this weight X 10 to get the max TT GVWR you can handle, assuming 10% tongue wt.

Remember, the question is not if your truck can get that much camper moving.  The question is can you control it and stop it if a strong wind hits you or if a tire blows.

Please keep asking questions.
Preacher Gordon
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS - not yet received
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 09:07:09 PM »
You have not shared the engine in your Titan, is it a V8? or the new diesel? What is the payload listed in the sticker in the truck door jam.  All this info will be helpful as people try to give you advise.

I used to pull a 6,000 GVWR TT with a 1500 HD Silverado.  It was as much as I would dare with a 1/2 ton truck.  More than that would not be something I would felt comfortable.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

Oldelevatorman

• ---
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 01:25:18 AM »
Don't trust the door sticker, that's based on factory curb weight. Go to a Cat scale with you and a full tank of gas and then take that weight and subtract that from your trucks GVWR. That is your true payload. On my F-150, the sticker said 1796, but when I weighed it it ended up 1450. Like others have said, forget a fifth wheel. Just do you homework, there's plenty of info on this forum and others to help you. Good luck and safe travels!
Jim & Linda Kelly
2016 Wind River 270CISW
2015 F-350 Dually 14k GVWR 5660 payload
Want to fulltime again sometime in 2017

rbpts187

• ---
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 04:12:49 PM »
Thanks for the information! It is helping a lot. I guess the 5W is out. Kinda figured it was a long shot anyway. Well, here are some figure for you gurus out there to consider and tell me what you think.

1.   2009 Titan 5.6L V8
2.   Titan GCWR – 15,100
3.   GVWR – 7,100 lbs. (From door panel) Haven't weighed it on scale yet.
4.   Truck curb weight w/o gas (I assume) – 5,200 lbs. (NADA says 5038)
5.   Max Payload (I assume without the above subtracted) is 2,063’
6.   Max tongue weight – 950 lbs. (payload numbers may affect this, I guess??)
7.   Cargo in truck:
       a. Passengers 380 lbs. – I will leave it at that! :)
       b. Gasoline tank full - (28 Gallons) = 173 lbs.
       c. Normal truck miscellaneous cargo – 180/190 lbs. (I have actually been weighing all of this stuff. Put most of the cargo in camper.)
8.   Cargo in camper – 700 lbs. (Been weighing this stuff too and this number is a 190 lbs. higher than what I weighed and figured. But, wanted to be on the safe side).
9.   Campers range from GVWR 6,695 lbs./UVW 4,945 to the highest being GVWR 7,495 lbs./UVW 5,857. We are also considering one that has the GVWR 6,995 lbs./UVW 5497
10.   Campers’ tongue weights at 10% of GVWR is maximum of 750 lbs. down to 670 lbs. depending on the camper.

So, my friends, am I correct in starting with the factory ball park figure of a GVWR at 7,100 lbs. and subtracting 5,200 (truck), 380 (passengers), 173 (gas), 190 (cargo) and then 750 (max tongue weight)? If so, my final figure 407 lbs. under the truck GVWR. Is this correct (although weighing the whole thing it will be a little more accurate)?
Finally, am I correct in subtracting the cargo in the truck (743 lbs.) from the 9,500 lbs. towing capacity? If so, with this I would be at 8,238 lbs. of weight to tow, putting me about 1,262 lbs. under the 15,100 GCWR of my Titan. Would this be pushing it? Again, these figures concern the heaviest TT we have considered. Thanks much in advance.

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 05:21:38 PM »
You are are on the right track.

Payload = Truck GVWR - Actual truck weight.  In other words the actual weight of the truck plus all cargo, passengers, etc can not exceed truck Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.  This weight normally will include a full fuel tank.

The numbers you quote are probably for a bare naked, no option truck with your body style and drive train.  Every pound of options increases the weight of the truck and decreases Payload.  There should be a yellow stripe label on the driver door B pillar stating the Payload for YOUR truck as it left the factory.  It includes a full tank of fuel, but no passengers, no driver, no cargo.  If significant aftermarket items have been added (tone cover, cap, tool box, winch), the weight of these must be subtracted as well.

Your 5200# is a good guess for a lightly optioned truck.  If it is a "cowboy cadillac", it may be closer to 5500#.  I will use this number.

5500# truck + 400# passengers (easier math) + 200# in truck + 80# WD hitch + 750# tongue wt = 6930#. 
This is still well below your 7100# GVWR.  You are good to go.

6900# truck + 7500# TT = 14,300#.   Well below your 15,100# GCWR.  You are good to go.

Cargo in the camper is a part of the camper weight, and is part of the TT  GVWR.

If you are using this method to determine tow capacity, there is no real issue pushing up to the limits.  Everything has been considered.

If you are starting from published tow ratings, which do NOT consider the actual weight of YOUR truck or make allowances for passengers or cargo in the truck, then staying at least 20% below the rating may leave you overweight.

You are doing things right!!
Preacher Gordon

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 05:34:27 PM »
Don't trust the door sticker, that's based on factory curb weight. Go to a Cat scale with you and a full tank of gas and then take that weight and subtract that from your trucks GVWR. That is your true payload. On my F-150, the sticker said 1796, but when I weighed it it ended up 1450. Like others have said, forget a fifth wheel. Just do you homework, there's plenty of info on this forum and others to help you. Good luck and safe travels!

Please do not discount the yellow label so quickly!  First, were you in the truck when it was weighed?  If so, please add your weight to the Payload.  Second, have you added any significant aftermarket accessories?  This may include a cap, tonnau cover, tool box, fuel tank or other items?  The weight of these items must be deducted from the yellow label weight.

Weighing 2 or 3 ton items is not an exact science.  There is some variance from scale to scale, regardless of calibrations and certifications.  I recently weighed my truck on two different non certified scales.  Assuming my yellow label to be correct, the weights were 79# light and 133# heavy after correcting for my weight and fuel level.  This is really pretty good agreement!

BOTTOM LINE:  Old elevator man makes a valid point, but even assuming he is right (and he may well be!), the yellow label is closer to the true Payload than some generic chart value!
Preacher Gordon

rbpts187

• ---
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 06:19:57 AM »
Hey, just wanted to say how much I appreciate all the information. I think I have a much firmer grasp of how the towing numbers must be figured thanks to you all. Now I just need to pull the trigger on a new camper (or used if I can find a good one that fits our needs)! I am 54 and have been camping multiple times a year since I was about 2. But am the first in the family to get a TT. But, that is the way to go! Now, maybe, I should look at the forum section on which TT to buy.  :) Looking at the Highland Ridge Open Range Ultra Lite series and the Grand Design Imagine series. Both are nice...but so are so many others! Hope everyone has a great Christmas and that the new year is blessed and prosperous for you! Thank you again.

MN Blue Skies

• ---
  • Favorite saying: "It depends."
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 09:02:53 AM »
We would love to hear what TT you decide on. 
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

2013 Cougar High Country 315 RES ( A 35' 5th Wheel)
"Big Blue" 2012 RAM 3500 Big Horn (Cummins Diesel 1 ton)

longhaul

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 11:22:53 PM »
.   Max Payload (I assume without the above subtracted) is 2,063’
  You didn't give us the most important rating on any truck which is its FAWR and RAWR.

The Titan may have a 4000 lb rawr that will carry all the load in the bed. These trucks may have a empty rear axle weight in the 2400-2500 lb range = a 1500-1600 lb payload in the bed.

All truckers (LDT/MDT HDT) weigh their trucks front and rear axles before they ever place them in service. This is the only way your going to know if your overloading especially the trucks rear axle as its going to carry most if not all the load when pulling a trailer.

If you use those high gvwr based payloads don't exceed rawr (axle/tire/wheel rear suspension ratings.)

Hosted by Over The Network