EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: White stuff falling  (Read 3479 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
White stuff falling
« on: December 11, 2016, 03:18:03 PM »
Woke up this morning to snow that fell overnight here in the MidWest, but not sufficient snow for the HOA to plough our driveways; They sent out a truck to spray the driveways with what appeared to be antifreeze.

Chris has been hoping we'll have a white Christmas. Next forecast snow is late next week, so Chris still has a chance of getting her wish.

Brrr...
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom and Margi

• ---
Re: White stuff falling
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 03:38:58 PM »
Snow is predicted here in Timber Valley the end of this week.  We look forward to it because it makes everything so beautiful but doesn't stay around very long.

jhskick

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 03:52:28 PM »
4-8 inches tonight in NH. Rene should I shovel your driveway?🙌🙌🙌
Starcraft 24 RLS

TV 2014 Silverado High Country

John Ginny and Iris

stephenm

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 03:55:20 PM »
Plenty of snow in mid Michigan Tom.

Roads are a complete mess. I skidded out earlier and ended up facing the other way. Even though I have winter tires and was in 4wd the journey was very dicey.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 03:58:53 PM »
Aye Stephen, I saw some of those Michigan road conditions on TV. Glad you survived the skid out.

stephenm

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 04:53:50 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Tom, I got some fright today. Luckily I was doing less than 30mph on a quiet road. I was heading for the ditch and had to take a fairly evasive manouver. I was in 4wd high but really should have been in 4low.

Looking forward to getting out cross country skiing soon.

Michigan winters are still a novelty for me coming from south coast of Ireland and the warming gulf stream.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 04:59:34 PM »
Michigan winters are still a novelty for me coming from south coast of Ireland and the warming gulf stream.

I know what you mean. I'm an ex-pat Taff who has lived in California for 35+ years. Winters here in our part-time home (in the MidWest) are brrr.... cold.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:31:38 AM by Tom »

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 05:55:30 PM »
4-8 inches tonight in NH. Rene should I shovel your driveway?🙌🙌🙌

Thanks but I have a guy plow it all the time to make the house looked lived in.
I'm in FL
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 06:25:48 PM by Rene T »
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 05:59:34 PM »
I'm sure this is true everywhere, but folks get accustom to a way of driving. Around here, when the weather conditions change is when experience is a big factor! Many end up in a ditch when they don't change their driving habits pertaining to road conditions. 4WD and AWD doesn't mean no worries on snowy/icy roads. Happens every first snow we see in my neck of the woods. Owners of body shops smile all the way to the bank!

MI is getting hammered at the moment. Us natives know what to expect and cope. To all those traveling the state, please be careful.

Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

stephenm

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 06:21:35 PM »
 That was my first scare after driving here for 5 winters.

Klc

• ---
    • Adventures in Winnie
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 06:29:44 PM »
Another Michigander here.  Just upped the expected totals to 12".  Ugh.  Lots of school closings, snow shoveling/plowing and bad driving conditions.  Can't wait until next year when we will be full-timers.  For now, I'm snug as a rug inside watching it come down.  It sure is pretty to look at.
Kathryn & Clyde & Patty Pepper (our pug)
2011 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser 35P
2016 Ford Focus

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 07:05:15 PM »
Another Michigander here.  Just upped the expected totals to 12".  Ugh.  Lots of school closings, snow shoveling/plowing and bad driving conditions.  Can't wait until next year when we will be full-timers.  For now, I'm snug as a rug inside watching it come down.  It sure is pretty to look at.

Yeah, it's pretty to look at out my front window. I just wish it wasn't such a mess to clean up afterwards!  ;)
Mark

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 07:47:37 PM »
After 3 years in Antarctica.. It's nice to sit here in Cali.. and see the "White Stuff" on TV.
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 09:43:58 PM »
My niece spent several tours of duty at McMurdo Station and still loves snow in Montana.  I'm not as tough as she is, however, and love the snow melt following the storms in the Umpqua Basin of Oregon.

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 11:07:56 PM »
My niece spent several tours of duty at McMurdo Station and still loves snow in Montana.  I'm not as tough as she is, however, and love the snow melt following the storms in the Umpqua Basin of Oregon.

I was at McMurdo also. 25 years ago now but honestly.. I miss it, miss the challenges of Mother Nature.

Grew up in Estacada, Or. and know the Umpqua river area too. Use to fish that area as a kid.

Joe

Joe
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

whiteva

• ---
    • Nibbler the traveling squirrel
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 06:52:00 AM »
All this talk about the white stuff made me jealous, so I made a trip out to the snowy white beaches here in Florida....

Cheers
2008 Winnie 29TR, Class C
Me: RETIRED: Aerobatic flight instructor, RE Broker, EE,-
DW, Nan, works Finance for RV dealer. Travel short distances pulling 77' MGB on dolly.
 If not in the RV we are on the Sea Ray, with Nibbler & Shadeaux the black cat. http://www.acroflyer.com/nibbler/

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 08:50:57 AM »
that same blizzard hit us hard in so. Cal !

the temps dropped down to the low 60's..... I had to go around the motorhome do an emergency close of some of the windows.

It almost rained, luckily we got through it.   I hope you all stay warm and safe.   8)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:06:21 AM by TonyDtorch »

xrated

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 09:13:47 AM »
What is this "white stuff" that you speak of?      8).............

Seriously, we get a small amount of snow here in the winter, but nothing like when I lived in IL.  The Smoky mountains are just 30 miles or so from our house and if I get to missing it too bad, I can always look out the back Windows and see that stuff.  That's close enough for me.  I'm a "hot and dusty" kind of guy.
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 11:41:54 AM »
Our fiver is parked, it would go down the driveway in a big hurry right now but getting back up could be a real challenge. ;D We have about 4" which is certainly manageable if only people would slow down and leave some distance.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 03:03:50 PM »
What is this "white stuff" that you speak of?      8).............
Seriously, we get a small amount of snow here in the winter, but nothing like when I lived in IL.  The Smoky mountains are just 30 miles or so from our house and if I get to missing it too bad, I can always look out the back Windows and see that stuff.  That's close enough for me.  I'm a "hot and dusty" kind of guy.

Dandruff!!! :o ::) ;D
AKA  Pep N Mem

xrated

• ---
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 06:34:43 PM »
Talking about winter and snow always reminds me of a guy that I worked with who was getting ready to retire.  I asked him, so what are your retirement plans.....travel, part-time job, hobbies?  Without a delay, he told me he was moving south, and I ask him where he was going to move.  He said, "I'm not sure, but I'm going to buy a snow plow for the truck, I'm driving SOUTH and I'm going to keep driving until someone stops me and asks....What is that thing on the front of your truck.  Then I'm going to drive another 100 miles and then I'll know I'm there!"

True story!
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »
Lots of snow here over the weekend and 2 degrees this morning.
2 months to the day to get the h%#* outta here and put those snowbird wings on!
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

stephenm

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 07:59:27 PM »
We had a about a foot on snow at our place. I am so glad we have a snow removal service.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 09:28:13 PM »
Quit your crying,

"Monday morning, the wind chill in Baker Lake, Nunavut, bottomed out a a mind-numbing 56 degrees below zero. At that level of cold, exposed skin can freeze in five minutes."

Just be glad you are not camping in northern Canada. :o
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

TravlinOn

• ---
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 07:07:52 AM »
Woke up this morning to snow that fell overnight here in the MidWest, but not sufficient snow for the HOA to plough our driveways; They sent out a truck to spray the driveways with what appeared to be antifreeze.

Chris has been hoping we'll have a white Christmas. Next forecast snow is late next week, so Chris still has a chance of getting her wish.

Brrr...

Wishing you good luck on the "white Christmas".  When we lived in "lake effect" Indiana, we loved the early show falls and "dreaming of a white Christmas".

Here now in So. FL I heard the other day that one of our local Malls has trucked in "snow" for the locals to enjoy. Don't think the sponsors were planning on temps in the mid-80's which we are having, though.  ::)
2015 F350 SuperDuty, Diesel, 4x4, Dually, LB, MORryde Pin Box, Reese Elite
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL

RVfixer

• ---
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 07:39:04 AM »
We are on our way south.  Now on a 10 day stop in South Carolina.  Woke up this morning and were completely surrounded by NO Snow, as planned!!  However, we will get some below freezing nights before heading further south.  Hoping not to have a white Christmas.  It was in the 70s here yesterday.  Nice walk up the beach with a sunset behind us and a big bright moon over the ocean.  Came back up the beach to the campground by moonlight.  Today we go to the Carolina Opry Christmas Show.

Life is good! 

kjansen

• ---
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 07:45:32 AM »
Won't make it south, but I kinda enjoy the white stuff also.  Just added more wood to the wood stave, grabbed another cup of coffee, and now relaxing reading RV Forum.  9 below with a 22 below wind chill this morning.  I have a tractor with heated cab and truck with snowplow.  No worries!
Keven Jansen
'06 Chevy 2500 Duramax
'02 Montana Big Sky
Alexandria, Mn

RVfixer

• ---
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2016, 08:24:08 AM »
Actually, after I retired we did enjoy having a snowfall occasionally.  We live in a town with many military bases close and lots people from areas that never get snow.  So, when the snows come there are lots of vehicles in the ditches and lots of crashes at intersections. We stayed close to home when it snowed.  I have often had to do some evasive maneuvers to get out of the way of vehicles coming through the intersection trunk first through the red light.  Now we head south and never see snow or spinning vehicles.  We are from Virginia on the coast and get very little snow and seldom had to shovel.  The city has a little sand for bridges and intersections and some trucks but no real snow removal equipment.

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2016, 08:40:27 AM »
Quit your crying,

"Monday morning, the wind chill in Baker Lake, Nunavut, bottomed out a a mind-numbing 56 degrees below zero. At that level of cold, exposed skin can freeze in five minutes."

Says the guy still in his shorts and a high today of 84 degrees....
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2016, 08:43:05 AM »

Says the guy still in his shorts and a high today of 84 degrees....
I live my whole life in shorts. I don't even own any long pants.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2016, 04:35:32 PM »
Quit your crying,

At that temperature we cover our heads with the hood on the parka. ;D
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2016, 04:54:37 PM »
72* here in CENCAL today. Broke a bit of a sweat raking some leaves.   ::)

Supposed to get some rain Thursday, more White Stuff in the Sierra's. We sure need it.

Joe
Joe

Russ+Chris

• ---
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 09:18:31 PM »
72* here in CENCAL today. Broke a bit of a sweat raking some leaves.   ::)

Supposed to get some rain Thursday, more White Stuff in the Sierra's. We sure need it.

Joe
I broke a sweat yesterday............................shoveling snow. My snowblower needs fixed. Going down to 6F tonight, Saturday is 52F with more snow.  :o
Russ and Chris (Both retired)
Jake, the furry kid. (Golden) Cooper RIP
Brownsville Pa.
'09 Fleetwood Discovery 40X  350HP DP
'13 Jeep Grand Cherokee TrailHawk Toad
'11 Nismo Track Car
'08 Power Wagon Off Road Beast
'07 Honda VFR

Past;
'14 Bounder 36R Gas (The Wobbly Goblin)
'11 Outback 277RL

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 11:41:37 PM »
Got 1+ inches of rain today, still raining. It's been a good steady soaking rain.. we need that here. It usually DUMPS and runs into the catch basins.

The Weather folks got it right this time. 8)

Joe

Lots of White Stuff in the Sierra's. We needed that too.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:43:30 PM by BIG JOE »
Joe

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2016, 06:39:00 AM »
Saturday is 52F with more snow.  :o

52 on Saturday with snow. How can that be?   :o ::)
AKA  Pep N Mem

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2016, 06:47:47 AM »
At that temperature we cover our heads with the hood on the parka. ;D
Here in Florida we don't cover our heads with the hood on the parka until it gets down into the 50s. ;D
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »
Getting caught up on what's happening.
Funny thread.  It was 8 degrees when I went to work last night at 1 AM. Don't remember the wind chill. Let's just say it was cold.
Suppose to get up into the 30's for a few days here in MI.
HEAT WAVE!

Just got home from work. Took off one layer of clothing (Carharts). Still have two layers on as I type. Still thawing out!

I find it funny different people's definition of cold.  ;)
Mark

Dr. Seuss

stephenm

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2016, 11:25:05 AM »
I was wearing a parka for the drive to work today in Mid Michigan, even though the heat and heated sat was blasting I still should of put some thermals bottoms on.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2016, 12:59:05 PM »
I find it funny different people's definition of cold.

It's all relative  ;)

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2016, 01:25:03 PM »
It's all relative  ;)

It's a sunny day, 39*, and I'm relatively cold! ;D
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2016, 11:34:59 AM »
It's all relative  ;)

I love that word! It can mean so many things for being such a specific term.
Regardless, we are enjoying temps. in the 30's. This time of year, we have no problem calling that warm. The problem is that changes year to year.

Does anyone here on the forum have Mother Nature's phone number?
I'd like talk to her about that.
 :D
Mark

Dr. Seuss

kjansen

• ---
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2016, 02:41:35 PM »

Does anyone here on the forum have Mother Nature's phone number?
I'd like talk to her about that.

It's 1-800-555-COLD ;D
Keven Jansen
'06 Chevy 2500 Duramax
'02 Montana Big Sky
Alexandria, Mn

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2016, 03:48:13 PM »
It's 1-800-555-COLD ;D

I'll bet you can really get some information from that.  ;D ;D ::)
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2016, 05:37:04 PM »
It's 1-800-555-COLD ;D

You lied Kevin. For the heck of it, I tried that number. I actually got someone. It was a answering service for 5 dealerships.  :'( :-X ;D
AKA  Pep N Mem

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2016, 01:39:19 PM »
I plowed the driveway and parking area yesterday afternoon. I did it AGAIN this morning. Sigh, haven't had this much fun since the pigs ate my little brother.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

BigLarry

• ---
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2016, 04:24:23 PM »
It looks like we're going to have a typical Christmas here!  It's 76 and cloudy!  Never had one in the 16 years we've lived here.  Our Daughter came from Houston for Christmas a few years ago and lo and behold, it actually snowed on Christmas Day in Houston, but none here in Bryan.  If she'd stayed home, they could have enjoyed an actual White Christmas!!!
Larry and Betty
Bryan, Texas
2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
2016 Cougar 28RLS

Hosted by Over The Network