EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Advice Please - Negotiating Used Truck Price  (Read 2852 times)

Dreamsend

• ---
Advice Please - Negotiating Used Truck Price
« on: December 13, 2016, 06:13:08 AM »
I hope this is not to far off the forum's purpose, but ya'll have far more experience than I (since I have none).  What is a reasonable discount off of the listed price to try to negotiate for a used truck.  I'm not inquiring about a good price for a specific truck, but rather I'm asking if dealers in general offering certified pre-owned vehicles are prepared to deal.  I'm bad at negotiating, and I'm a single gal so they see me coming and I have to try to have my ducks in a row!  I have always purchased new vehicles, so no experience dealing with used.  I located  a 2015 truck - loaded with everything I need and more with 11500 miles for $36900.  Original MSRP was $48000.  Thanks in advance.

Linda
Linda with kitties Sarah & Samson
2017 Ford F250 Lariat aka Gypsy Rose

markbarendt

Re: Advice Please - Negotiating Used Truck Price
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 09:12:13 AM »
First do some research:
https://www.kbb.com
Craigslist for your town
Get financing pre arranged at your bank (sellers use financing to hide costs and get you to spend more)

Second you have to be willing to walk away:
If they aren't moving on price, tell them so, suggest if they are interested in your business they should get busy proving it and say "call me", then get up and leave. Really truly there will be other deals there are a lot of trucks available in this world.

xrated

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 09:26:54 AM »
Most dealers are going to have a minimum amount of profit in their asking price of 4-5 thousand dollars.  Are you going to get them to knock most of that off the price....No!  Used vehicles are where a dealer makes their money......not so much on new.  A very desirable car/truck will be harder to negotiate the price down than one that is higher miles, lots of them out there,  fewer options on it, etc.  An example.....the dealer takes a truck in on trade and allows the person 25,000 trade in price.  Three days later that same truck is on their used lot with an asking price of $31,995.  Would they take $28,000 for it....probably not.  Would they take $29,500 for it.....maybe. Would they take $30,000....probably, but only after they tell you no a time or two, or you threaten to walk.  Finally, they agree to the $30,000 price, make you feel like you just took their only son or daughter, and how hard of a bargain you drove.  Then, the bottom line totals come out.  You bought a great truck and got the dealer to come off of their asking price by $2000...and they threw in free oil changes for a year.....big deal, that cost them almost nothing.  Now the used truck manager and the salesman are smiling after you leave.  They've got $25,000 in the truck and they just sold it for a $5000 profit, of which the sales manager and salesman collect a nice commission and the dealership just made over $3000 in a matter of minutes or a few hours.

Of course this explanation is generic and the numbers can be a bit lower. OR...they can be higher.  There are a lot of factors and variables in every SALE that takes place, but one thing you can be certain of....They made MONEY on the deal and you lost.  It then becomes a matter of how much they made and how much you overspent.

A true story......I sold cars and trucks at a major Ford dealership for a short time back in 2003.  Our general manager came back from auction one day with a used, loaded up Expedition that he had given $19,900 for.  The next week it had been through or check out inspection process and was listed on our used vehicle sheet with an asking price of..........
$29,995.  If I remember correctly (it's been a while), it sold for $27,xxx.  Not a bad profit huh?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:37:45 AM by xrated »
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

markbarendt

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 09:48:02 AM »
I don't necessarily disagree with xrated but, but, but: as a buyer, it's not my job to worry about or make sure the seller makes money.

Buyers need to understand that a professional car sales persons job (and that includes everyone employed at a car dealership) is to get every nickel they can out of the buyer.

I have gotten very significant discounts of asking price (10-35%) simply by offering cash. (This is where having a pre approved loan from your bank where all you have to do is write a check to the dealer comes in handy)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:49:50 AM by markbarendt »

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 10:09:21 AM »
I have never yet purchased a new vehicle,and every experience has been a little different.
First,know what the Kelley Blue Book value is for your truck.
It appears to me that if a dealership has a vehicle on the lot priced at the Blue Book value they are less willing to negotiate that if they are asking a higher price.

I recently purchased a 2008 F250 with 47,000 miles
I spent about six weeks looking online at craigslist ads,dealership ads,and Auto Trader,so I had a good idea of how trucks were priced.I also visited a few dealers and test drove a few rigs.
It was listed right at KBB value.
They would not budge on the price but were willing to negotiate some accessories into the deal.
I ended up getting about 3000 in accessories by them giving me more on the trade in than they originally offered.

I never worry whether they dealership is making any money. I do not believe they will sell a vehicle at a loss unless it has been sitting for a while.

I never buy the same day I look at a vehicle.
Salesmen try very hard to make the sale before you leave because many do not come back.
I don't know how many times I've heard "The deal may not be there tomorrow" or "What will it take to get you in this truck today?"
So far have not lost a deal by waiting a day.
Even if you think it's the perfect deal,go home and think about it,do some more research.
It most likely will still be there tomorrow.

2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

Currently at work in King Cove, Alaska

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 10:13:23 AM »
I have a longtime friend who's been in the used car business at large dealerships for about 25 years. He's told me that when buying new the formula for a "good deal" is actually more complicated because of the manufacturer kickbacks to the dealer and a variety of other credits, making it more difficult to figure out what the dealer's actual cost is and therefore what they'll accept.

However with used he gave me this easy formula: take KBB trade-in value and add $1000. This likely represents approximately the absolute minimum they'll accept for the vehicle. In cases of a high-demand vehicle that is hard to find, they may try for more.

Also, beware of "doc prep fees". Those are nothing but fake add-on fees that contribute to the bottom line. So using my friend's formula when negotiating: take KBB trade-in value plus $1000 including doc prep (so if their doc prep is $300 it's KBB plus $300 plus $700) plus taxes plus license = probable bottom line.

Dealers will start at KBB "retail" and work down. "Retail" is also a fake number but they will try hard to make you beleive that's what the vehicle's worth.

Also, shop for your own financing and be ready to use it. Once the deal has been negotiated without financing and without trade-in, find out what they have to offer.
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

markbarendt

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 10:15:03 AM »
They would not budge on the price but were willing to negotiate some accessories into the deal.
I ended up getting about 3000 in accessories by them giving me more on the trade in than they originally offered.

There's one of the other places dealers play, the trade value. If you are trading something in you need to be willing to fully negotiate that price too. Many times it's better to sell your vehicle personally and keep the new sale simpler.

markbarendt

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 10:20:07 AM »
Sun2Retire is definitely right about watching for the extra fees. You need to negotiate the bottom line, not somewhere in the middle.

Dreamsend

• ---
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 11:39:50 AM »
Thanks much for all the great replies.  They are just what I needed to hear.  Here is a little more info.  The truck is in Penn. and I'm in Indpls.  I talked with the dealership this morning to get the actual tow and payload numbers off the door; the rest of the info was clearly listed in the ad.  All the numbers work.  The truck was owned for a year by the dealership's service manager (per Carfax, went to dealer in Nov. 2015 from Ford).  The salesman initially said they NEVER negotiate their used vehicle numbers, but after some banter he went to the manager, called me back and came down $900.00.  I used Edmund's True Market Value calculator which came back with a price of $35,100 for a certified exceptional condition model, and $34,100 for a certified clean model.  The dealer is at $36,000 right now.  This is sooooooooo close.  Honestly, this truck has EVERYTHING!!! I need plus much more since it has the highest luxury group pkg. which I would not get if I were to order a new truck, and it's even the RIGHT COLOR.  The ad popped up when I was searching last evening for the name of a salesman at a local Ford dealership I had talked to last August cause I lost his card.  I wasn't even searching for used trucks!  I never in my wildest expectations thought I could find a used truck that I wanted - make, model, with the right tow pkg., axle ratio, 4x4, extended fuel tank etc. and was simply planning to order a new one within the next 6 month or so in order to get what I needed.  Having worked with the numbers for a couple months now, a new 2017 of the right make, model and capabilities is somewhere around $13,000 to $15,000 higher.  Is this sernedipity? or misplaced temptation?

There may be a 700 mile RT road trip in the next couple days.  Thanks for letting me share.  I have those old-fashioned butterflies in my tummy which is probably not a good thing.

Linda

OBX

• ---
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 11:56:20 AM »
If you are willing to make that drive you should search for the same truck and see what you find.  You should make a low offer to test the response.  Be prepared to walk and make sure they know you will walk.  They need to sell the truck more than you need to buy it.

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 12:17:03 PM »
All trucks are NOT created the same, even seemingly identical models can vary. What are you intending to do with this truck?? Pull a trailer or fifth wheel trailer perhaps?? Be sure that the model you are looking at can support the use you envision for it. The load capacity on the yellow sticker versus the attributes of the trailer should be of prime concern in such a case and it would be nice to know before traveling 700 miles to find it does not meet your criteria.
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 12:24:43 PM »
I used Edmund's True Market Value calculator

In the past I have not found Edmund's to accurately reflect car values, always seemed high, sometimes by a lot.

I suggest checking against Kelly Blue Book, and again, use only trade-in value, not retail, not private party. I'm going to guess it comes out at quite a bit less than where you are now. And remember, this is what the truck will be worth the second you sign, before you even leave the lot.

The salesman initially said they NEVER negotiate their used vehicle numbers, but after some banter he went to the manager, called me back and came down $900.00. 

Complete rubbish. Typical good cop, bad cop routine. As others have said, be willing to walk away, don't fall in love with this one truck, there are plenty out there, no matter how perfect this seems.
Scott

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 12:45:33 PM »
I'd get Real Leary about the.. It belonged to the Service Manager (ploy) story. 15,000 miles in about One year, for someone who works full time ?  ::)

Do what the others have said.. Don't fall in love with this ONE truck.. Keep looking ??

Joe
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

Derby6

• ---
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 12:52:27 PM »
15,000 miles in about One year, for someone who works full time ?  ::)

Sounds believable/reasonable to me?

OP; sounds like it might be meant to be.  If it were me, I would call and tell them what you are willing to give (35K?), but that you are driving 350 miles and need to see it first hand.
2015 Ford Explorer (Wifes Ride)
2011 Ford F350 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab/Long Bed/SRW
2011 Honda Civic-- (Beater with a heater)
2007 28' Desert FOX Toy Hauler             
TOYS:
01 Yamaha Kodiak 400
09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
12 Yamaha Grizzly 450
13 Yamaha Rhino 700 (Wifes Ride)
13 & 14  144" & 155" SKI DOO

OBX

• ---
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 01:13:07 PM »
I would tell them that I'm looking all over.  Low ball the offer $27-$28k.  You have no idea what they need to get out of the truck.  They may come down thousands.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 01:18:03 PM »
I never in my wildest expectations thought I could find a used truck that I wanted - make, model, with the right tow pkg., axle ratio, 4x4, extended fuel tank etc.

What are the exact specifics of this truck (year, model, trim level, add-ons, miles, etc)?
Scott

xrated

• ---
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 01:46:51 PM »
Linda, the very FIRST thing you need to do is to emotionally DETACH yourself from this truck.  When you get emotionally attached to something, it's way too easy to pay too much.  It's a business deal, pure and simple, nothing more...nothing less, and by your comments, you already own the truck from an emotional standpoint.  I'm not trying to be harsh, I'm simply trying to help you spend the least amount of money and get not only a truck that you want, but also the best value for your money.

Another point that I disagree with in several posts are the references to KBB.  Auto dealers almost exclusively use N.A.D.A. pricing for their ACTUAL numbers, the numbers that they need to use to make a profit.

And just so all of you know, I'm not concerned either about how much or how little a dealer makes on a deal.  I'm there to buy the product they have for the very least amount of money that I have to spend to get what I want. 

My current truck was purchased by me from a dealer that was six hours away from me.  I told him (once we got the truck price down to an acceptable number) that I will not pay $599 for Doc fees. He told me that those numbers are set by the dealership and printed on the sales order and cannot be negotiated away.  My response to him was that he should then deduct another $499 from the bottom line and name it whatever he wanted for additional discount.  He didn't really want to do that and I told him that would be the only way I would make the drive over and complete the deal.  The sales order showed that I paid a $599 Doc fee, but in reality, the extra $499 discount money caused it to be a $99 Doc fee, which I feel IS reasonable.

In my case, I was buying new and used Edmunds.com to spec out the price of the truck.  I know the MSRP ...AND the invoice price, which puts you in a great position for negotiating the price you're willing to pay.  That, and you, as a customer, always want to start from invoice price and go up if you have to.....not start at their price (MSRP or other), and come down.  When I bought my truck, it was the very FIRST year of the new Ford 6.7 diesel...2011 model.  Even though they were highly sought after, I paid about $350 over invoice price according to Edmunds.com, which is usually within a few dollars of being dead on with their pricing.  Hope all this helps.

And BTW, I applied the same technique when my wife bought her Hyundai Tucson about a year ago.  Their first price offer to us was actually over MSRP.  As soon as I saw the numbers I started laughing, and I mean laughing out loud.  I told the salesman, I'm going to give you one chance to get this right.  You screw up, and we're going somewhere else to buy it.  Again, I knew the MSRP  AND the invoice price.  I/wie will give you $300 over the invoice price.  If your next price is $301 over invoice, we walk.  It turned out well for us.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:04:29 PM by xrated »

Derby6

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 01:56:05 PM »
Linda, the very FIRST thing you need to do is to emotionally DETACH yourself from this truck.  When you get emotionally attached to something, it's way too easy to pay too much.  It's a business deal, pure and simple, nothing more...nothing less, and by your comments, you already own the truck from an emotional standpoint.  I'm not trying to be harsh, I'm simply trying to help you spend the least amount of money and get not only a truck that you want, but also the best value for your money.

Another point that I disagree with in several posts are the references to KBB.  Auto dealers almost exclusively use N.A.D.A. pricing for their ACTUAL numbers, the numbers that they need to use to make a profit.

And just so all of you know, I'm not concerned either about how much or how little a dealer makes on a deal.  I'm there to buy the product they have for the very least amount of money that I have to spend to get what I want. 

My current truck was purchased by me from a dealer that was six hours away from me.  I told him (once we got the truck price down to an acceptable number) that I will not pay $599 for Doc fees. He told me that those numbers are set by the dealership and printed on the sales order and cannot be negotiated away.  My response to him was that he should then deduct another $499 from the bottom line and name it whatever he wanted for additional discount.  He didn't really want to do that and I told him that would be the only way I would make the drive over and complete the deal.  The sales order showed that I paid a $599 Doc fee, but in reality, the extra $499 discount money caused it to be a $99 Doc fee, which I feel IS reasonable.

Agreed! ;D
TOYS:
01 Yamaha Kodiak 400
09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
12 Yamaha Grizzly 450

Dreamsend

• ---
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 03:00:03 PM »
Linda, the very FIRST thing you need to do is to emotionally DETACH yourself from this truck.  When you get emotionally attached to something, it's way too easy to pay too much.

Are you suggesting I "take a pill"? ;D ;D ;D  Just kidding of course.

What gave it away?  the butterflies??  Told you I wasn't much good at negotiating.  Which is why all of your comments here are so appreciated and welcomed.  I've looked up the KBB retail AND trade-in value numbers, and that information has given me more to consider, so thanks for those suggestions.  I guess ultimately it boils down to whether I'M happy or not with what I pay for the truck.  I've found that for these large purchases (well large for me anyway) if I leave a few hundred on the table to achieve my goal, then I have no regrets.  I'll admit, I'm not the type to have to drive a bargain to get what some would consider the absolute BEST bargain out of a dealer.  Just not me.  But I don't want to be completely stupid either, which is again why you'all have helped so much.   Part of my "happy with the deal" includes some intangibles that may not be of value to others.  I've had vehicles since 1971 and kept them an average of 6 years each, with a couple for more than 10 years -- the average gets skewed because of having had leased Jeeps that were traded after 2 or 3 years.  Have not been ultimately unhappy about any of those deals.

Once again, all the comments have armed with the info I needed to hear about negotiating for this truck.  I have to decide if I'm gonna contact them again with my rock-bottom offer and then tell them I'm on way over or wait to try to deal once I'm there.  Buying a vehicle off the internet is WAY new to me as is the long-distance issue.  They already came down $900 so it's not like they are ignoring me completely.  I just gotta decide what price I can be happy with, and then walk away if I can't achieve that.  Sound so simple!

Linda 

xrated

• ---
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 05:59:05 PM »
Dreamsend said:

This is sooooooooo close.  Honestly, this truck has EVERYTHING!!! I need plus much more since it has the highest luxury group pkg. which I would not get if I were to order a new truck, and it's even the RIGHT COLOR.   

and also...

I never in my wildest expectations thought I could find a used truck that I wanted - make, model, with the right tow pkg., axle ratio, 4x4, extended fuel tank etc. and was simply planning to order a new one within the next 6 month or so in order to get what I needed. 

and finally...

There may be a 700 mile RT road trip in the next couple days. 

The above quotes are what "gave it away".  Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with looking forward to getting a new/different vehicle, but if I can see your emotional attachment to the truck over the internet, the salesman is on to you like a bird dog is on a quail.  He is doing his job and trying to make the most money that he can possible make for both himself and the dealership....but mostly himself.

I would be really surprised if they aren't on course to make at least 5K on the deal at $36,000 asking price.  Secondly, he's already proven to you that he is a liar......remember when he told you that they NEVER negotiate their used vehicle numbers then called you back at $900 lower pricing.  There is one thing that I will not tolerate from a salesman, and that is when they lie to me.

When I interviewed with the Sales manager back in 2003 for the job of salesman at the Ford dealership that I was trying to get a job with....I flat out asked him during the interview..."Will I have to lie to a potential customer in order to do this job?"  He told me that not only do I not have to lie to do the job, that if he ever caught me lying to a customer, he would fire me on the spot.  I was totally prepared to walk out of the interview if he told me that I might have to lie a little or stretch the truth or whatever.  He hired me and we had a great working relationship, with both of us appreciating the fact that we were doing our jobs AND not having to be a shady car salesman or manager.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 07:13:09 PM »
I would be really surprised if they aren't on course to make at least 5K on the deal at $36,000 asking price.

Agree. Based on KBB and NADA retail truck should go for $30-31ish, make it $32 just cause it's exactly what you want. The fact that the dealership bought it and never sold it is irrelevant, they effectively sold it to themselves and used it for a year. It's a used truck, same as if they took it on trade. And if they had, they wouldn't have given more than $27-30 on trade. And I don't think "Ford Certified" means anything, it's under warranty anyway, certified or not.
Scott

GA_Boy

• ---
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 11:42:05 AM »
Linda, sometimes it is better to check out CARMAX.  They have a reasonable sticker price and they DO NOT negotiate.  You get a better quality vehicle from them as they thoroughly research each car they get and if it doesn't meet their quality they simply send it to auction.   In 1998 we bought a 1995 OLDS from Carmax at a fair market price and I still drive it.  If I wanted a good reliable used vehicle that would last I would visit the nearest Carmax---------------NO, I am in no way affiliated with Camax.
Marvin

robertusa123

• ---
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2016, 05:57:34 AM »
I'm proude of that fact that I have been thrown out of car dealers because of my  aggressive negotiations....... Never be afraid to walk out.   And the sales person know the bottom. Price. When they go to the sales manager office. They are really playing a game of sollitar whial your stewing for 5 min...... I tipicaly fallow them to the office when their not looking.   And when they notice me  and ask me to sit. I tell them I'm not wasting my time talking to them anymore is its the sales manager that makes the final design. And I want to talk to them myself.  That's the point when I'm usaily asked to leave
1996  26ft. 3 kids 2 dog and the wife too

Derby6

• ---
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 12:04:14 PM »
I'd like an update. ;D
TOYS:
01 Yamaha Kodiak 400
09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
12 Yamaha Grizzly 450

Dreamsend

• ---
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2016, 12:16:42 PM »
I thought I'd post an update with The End of the story.

On Wednesday I called the dealer (remember 350 miles away) and offered them $34,775 against their last offer of $36,000.  The sales manager refused and I was reminded that they are a non-negotiating dealership - that is, the price you see is the price you get.  Okay, so I said thanks.

Later I thought that in the whole scheme of things, $1200 was only about 1.2% of the overall amount it's going to cost me for this new life style plan.  So Thursday morning I was set to call back and say "I'll take it".  Already had travel plans that were doable, but I'd have to have given them a $500 deposit, so there was no turning back at that point.  For some reason, I decided to check the trailer weight numbers on manufacturers web stuff before calling (don't own a trailer a yet).  Well, new trailers (Outdoors RV), some not offered anymore, redesigned web site, and all the weights looked higher.  So I redid the numbers, but in my "emotional" state, double-counted the tongue weight - that is, I put it in the truck weight AND the trailer weight, so when I compared stuff, it only left me with a 5.6 % margin below CGVWR.  That's not the excess margin I'd like.  So, I didn't call the dealer.  Even later, when I realized I'd made the mistake, it still only gives me 11%, which I could accept, except what happens if my trailer weight ends up more or my loading is higher? or I add a 150# cap to the truck?

I used the Ford site to build "MY" 2017 truck - with same options/size/color etc. as the used 2015 I was considering (except I added the new 10-speed trans). With sales taxes included, it looks like the new one is about $10-11,000 more.  BUT, I get the second generation eco-boost, 10-speed, 800# more towing, and 1100# more combined weight capacity.  I like those numbers better.  If you want mo' truck, ya gots to pay mo' money.  But I also like being in a better position to negotiate in that there are 10 Ford dealers within a 12 miles radius of me.  Probably 20 if I go out 20 miles.  I found out yesterday at a dealer that I can order a truck with all the stuff I want as late as April-May for this model year.  Wahoo!  I'm satisfied with the decision. 

Thanks again to all who helped.  Truly appreciated.

Linda 

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2016, 12:58:35 PM »
An excellent choice, Linda!

Derby6

• ---
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2016, 01:21:08 PM »
We all have some emotions.
Although you emotional attachment seemed strong, you did it right.
If it was meant to be it would have or will happen.
Well done!
TOYS:
01 Yamaha Kodiak 400
09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
12 Yamaha Grizzly 450

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2016, 01:43:06 PM »
An excellent choice, Linda!

X2 !!!

And you didn't even take a Chill Pill !!  ;)

One other thing you might look into ? If you find a dealer that will do the leg work for you ?

Spec out a truck with >Exactly< what you want and buy it AFTER the new model year has come out. A Left Over (?) if you will.

Example: I bought the 2012 Ford F-350 below... in January of 2013, Brand New but just Last years model... at a Considerable savings.

I handed my local dealer Fleet Sales guy my Spec Sheet, told him I wouldn't settle for any more, or any less than... what I had listed.

He went out on the "Dealer Net".. took 3-4 days.. found my truck 200 miles away.. I put up some Front Money.. they did a "Like Value" vehicle swap and met 100 miles from here.

I got JUST what I wanted, to the letter. Again, at a Considerable Savings to me.

Joe

Sorry for the long story.. Jus' thought I'd share, another buying idea ? 

Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

Dreamsend

• ---
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2016, 02:46:17 PM »
Sorry for the long story.. Jus' thought I'd share, another buying idea ?

No apology necessary as this idea has been rambling around in my head anyway.  I actually did this at the end of the 2016 year - starting last August/Sept. before the 2017 came out in October.  I had a dealer which offered to "find" me the truck I wanted, and they were unable to do so.  Maybe it's needing the Max Tow Pkg. or the extended fuel tank, wanting the ruby red color or NOT wanting a sun/moon roof or the Sport Pkg. or who knows what else.  That was the reason I began to think that I would end up needing to order a new model year vehicle.  I didn't push it because I liked what I was reading about the 2017 F150 changes.

Yeah, I was excited to find an opportunity to save some bucks and you gents and ladies were my sounding board.  But attached to THAT particular truck . . uhmmm not so much, cause I knew I have alternatives.  I don't think I even told the salesman that "this truck has EVERYTHING I need".  No way!  I'm sure everything worked out for the best even it is was an early morning mistake on my part that led to the outcome, however, with the increased trailer weight I still didn't like the numbers after correcting myself.  All is good.

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2016, 03:59:08 PM »
Old News for ya then Linda. Sounds like you've got a good plan go'n on.

Ask away for any Specifics tho.

Joe
Joe

xrated

• ---
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2016, 05:47:17 PM »
Linda, I know it's a long shot, but do you or anyone you know, know a salesman that works at a Ford dealership?  If by chance you do, you might try and talk them out of one of their "D" plan pricing vouchers.  Any person that works at a Ford dealership has the "D" plan available to them and sometimes it can be extended out to another family member or even a friend.  D pricing gets you the vehicle pretty close to invoice or slightly lower....I can't remember exactly....it's been the 12 or 13 years since I sold Fords for a living.

KandT

• ---
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2017, 04:20:27 AM »
Have you considered starting with NADA wholesale and then negotiating up for there? 

Also, in regard to doc fees etc.  - Last car I bought (an Accord) I said "I am going to write for $20,500.  This includes tax and all fees.  I don't give a hoot how you write it up.  You can write the car up for $500 and the rest rust roofing proofing and doc fees for all I care but see that car right there that we just got out of?  My check to you is going to be for $20,500."  He got it.

In regards to it being such a unique truck, I hate to burst your bubble but there is another one rolling off an assembly line as you read this.  That is the attitude to have with the car salesman.

It is just metal welded together - if you don't get this one another will come along.  They make tons of them!  Ever been on the freeway?  They are all over the place.  There ain't nothin special about any car or truck.
2005 Winnebago Vectra
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2017, 02:45:32 PM »

Yes, yes, and yes!  Couldn't say it better myself.  Nothing against your gender, but emotional attachment is often easier for men than women.  Although I certainly have many guy friends who have paid WAY too much for trucks, boats, guns, etc. because they get in their head that they just HAVE to have it.

I recently purchased a 2008 F250 with 47,000 miles
I spent about six weeks looking online at craigslist ads,dealership ads,and Auto Trader,so I had a good idea of how trucks were priced.I also visited a few dealers and test drove a few rigs.

This has been my exact way of doing things on my last several vehicle and RV purchases.  In many cases I've spent many months shopping.  Craigslist, Ebay, Autotrader, Cargurus.com (my new favorite), etc. all have e-mail alerts that you can set up to send you automated messages when something is posted for sale that meets your desired criteria (year, make, model, mileage, features, etc).  Also don't count out buying gently used from a private party... that's where many of the best deals will be found.  There's nothing magical or better about buying from a dealership (especially not one 350 miles away where you obviously , and most times their prices are higher since they have a profit margin to maintain.  Private owners are usually just trying to pay off a loan, get close to KBB value, or get a better selling price than what a dealer will offer in trade.

I never worry whether they dealership is making any money. I do not believe they will sell a vehicle at a loss unless it has been sitting for a while.

Exactly right on both points.  And to the second part, that's why I like Cargurus.com so much, which I discovered on our most recent purchase of a 2013 Chevrolet Traverse (daily driver).  That site showed me how long a dealer had a certain vehicle listed, a schedule of price reductions, and rated the value (Fair Deal, Good Deal, Great Deal) based on other ads and sales numbers.  What I found our Traverse at a dealer ~200 miles away, I already knew it had been on their lot for several months and had been reduced in price a couple times.  From my own research and Cargurus confirmation, I knew it was priced much lower than similar models already.  So before I even contacted the dealer, I was armed with a lot of negotiating power.  I also asked a litany of questions over e-mail, so I knew absolutely everything and the deal was finalized before I made the long drive.  The dealer also knew I was serious that way, and not just some drive-by browser who may not actually show up with the money.  Plus I get to find out who serious the dealer/seller is by requesting information... if they ignore my questions or don't seem very serious in their responses, then it's a good sign that I probably don't want to deal with that place/person.

That's just my most recent example, but I've done that kind of pre-planning and negotiating with almost everything I buy... especially high dollar items.  If you have the patience, it definitely pays off!
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Hosted by Over The Network