5th Wheel Campers and 1/2 ton trucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rs44in

My truck is F150 XL Super Cab 2011 model.
Specs as given on door plate are

gvwr(gross vehicle weight rating) 3198
front gawr(gross axle weight ratio) 3450
rear gawr(gross axle weight ratio) 3850

wheel base 145
5.0L 4-Valve V8
Axle ratio 3.31

GCWR 13,500

Following is from towing guide on internet

2011 Model CONVENTIONAL(1) Maximum loaded trailer weight requires weight distribution hitch. ) AND 5th-WHEEL TOWING
GCWR 13,500 ? ? ? Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight (Lbs.) ? Automatic Transmission 8,100

I have a travel trailer for last two years which I would like to replace with a 5th Wheel. What should be the limits for my 5th Wheel for parameters below. I carry nothing much in my truck travel with one companion and carry little in trailer other than necessities.

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) ?
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) ?
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) ?
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) ?

Thanks in advance to gurus who can guide me.

you need to look on the driver side door a pillar for the yellow decal which gives your max cargo capacity which will be a number less than 1821lbs

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/11FLMRVTT_F150nov18.pdf

then subtract driver and pass weight and hitch weight (ie 200 + 150 +200 = 450) will give you a possible pin of less than 1462 lbs
cheers

First, there is typo in your GVWR number.

Second, that "Maximum loaded trailer weight"  ASSUMES the truck is bare bones, no options and will carry ONLY a full tank of fuel and a 150# driver.  No cargo in the truck, no passengers, no "big" drivers.

Third, ignore the FW Unloaded vehicle wt and dry pin wt.  Those numbers only apply to the driver who tows the camper from the factory to the dealer.  CCC is simply  GVWR  -  Unloaded vehicle wt.

Follow Steve's  good advise.  Find the max cargo capacity for YOUR truck on the yellow label.  I suspect this will be around 1800#.  XL is lightly optioned.  From this number, subtract the weight of  all passengers, pets, cargo, tools and firewood carried in the truck.  Subtract 200# for your FW hitch.  What remains is your MAX pin weight.

Assuming 20% pin wt in the loaded FW, take pin wt X 5 to get the max FW  GVWR you can handle.

I fear you will be very disappointed.

Your particular F150 has those small 3850 rawr which will carry all the load in the bed.
These trucks rear axle can weigh in the 2400-2500 lb range when empty which leaves around 1350-1450 lb before exceeding axle/tire/rear suspension or wheel load ratings.

This equates to a 5th wheel with around 800-900 lb dry pin weight or 4k-5k 5th wheel trailer.  Folks with this small size F150 generally stick with a TT.

Looking at a F150 super cab 145" wb 5.0 engine with 3850 shows a 7100 gvwr and a 1820 lb payload per Fleet Ford specs. This is another example of a gvwr payload in the bed overloading this truck small 3850 rawr. Add 1820 lb payload to 2400-2500 lb rear axle weight = 4320  lbs or 470 lb overload on the rear axle/wheel/tires.

There are small 5th wheel trailers out here for your size F150 and those small 3850 lb axle ratings. 
Check the lighter weight of these out.
http://www.allencampermfg.com/Up-to-27--5th-Wheel.html

You can do it but have to be careful with loading. I have a Rockwood 8285ss on my 2005 f-150 my payload was 1750 and  the pin weight was about 1000. it took me 2 months of searching to find the model that worked and had a floor plan the was good too.

Thanks guys for sharing your experience and wisdom. Firmly believe that while RVing on road I also owe responsibility to other motorists. I plan to take conservative estimate of maximum 5500 lbs fully loaded FW if I can get one  :) else would stick to TT.

What are you wanting (as far as RV features) in a 5th Wheel over a Travel Trailer?  If you do find any 5ers that only weight 5500# loaded (if that exists), I think it would be such a small model that you might not get much extra function out of it (compared to your TT).  The sticking point will certainly be the 1/2-ton truck.

IMHO, 5th wheel campers and 1/2 half ton trucks is an oxymoron. They just don't make em that small/light any more.

Our fiver grosses at 5600 lb which is pretty much the limit for a 1500/F-150 although I certainly would not want to try it. Best to go to a bit more truck and give yourself a healthy safety margin. We started out with a tow vehicle that was marginal for the trailer we had, specs said it was within range, but a couple of trips convinced us otherwise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom