Yet another Banks system question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjriss

I mentioned on another thread that I was considering a Banks system for my 1996 Ford 460 powerplant. Karl suggested that I check the existing exhaust for kinks, bends, and other restrictions which I did. What I found was the straightest exhaust I think I've ever seen with no kinks, reducers, or even any significant bends until it 90's out to the tail pipe. A straight shot of 3" pipe from the manifold collector to the tailpipe bend and I don't even have a catalyst.

So my question to the collective wisdom is can I expect a significant power increase with a Banks header/intake setup?

Follow up question:

Anybody know where to get a performance cold air intake for a 1996 7.5L Ford class C motorhome? Banks claims theirs won't work on a non cayalyst unit which makes no sense to me. Naturally they couldn't tell me why it wouldn't work, just that "the book says it's only for models with catalytic converters".

At $1400 for a pair of headers I think Banks is high. In every sense of the word. I've always had good luck with Doug Thorleys and they're right at $1000 all CARB legal and ceramic coated. Anybody ever use these?

If you've already got a three inch exhaust system, go with the Thorley or Gibson headers.

The full Banks package works well on the 96 460 V8 - I had it on a 36 foot motorhome. Headers, 4" exhaust, air intake and Transcommand.  The Transcommand module helps quite a bit by modifying the shifting of the E4OD transmission.

The Thorley headers work fine, according to reports I have seen elsewhere. And it sounds as though you already have a nice clean exhaust.

Frankly, though, I think you would benefit more from a Gear Vendors Over/Underdrive than headers. The transmission is the weak link in your set-up, not the engine.

RV Roamer said:
The full Banks package works well on the 96 460 V8 - I had it on a 36 foot motorhome. Headers, 4" exhaust, air intake and Transcommand.  The Transcommand module helps quite a bit by modifying the shifting of the E4OD transmission.

The Thorley headers work fine, according to reports I have seen elsewhere. And it sounds as though you already have a nice clean exhaust.

Frankly, though, I think you would benefit more from a Gear Vendors Over/Underdrive than headers. The transmission is the weak link in your set-up, not the engine.

Sounds like you know exactly what you're talking about and I've been looking for a reason to buy one of those GV under/overdrives for years  ;D

By chance did you install a GV on that rig?

I agree with Gary that the GV will get you more than the headers. There's a big 'hole' between 2nd and 3rd gear in the E4OD. The TransCommand helps tighten up the shifting quite a bit, and I would recommend it even if you get the GV unit. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the tranny. My F53 didn't have a cat. conv. either, but a resonator.

Gary, just a nit: The Banks exhaust is "only" 3 1/2", but the outlet tip itself is 4" ;)

Karl  glad you caught the exhaust size  I was thinking the same thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom