currently have michelin 275/80 r22.5 7yrs old need to replace, coments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bought a set of six Toyo tires two and a half years ago when we purchased our Beaver. I am totally satisfied with over 15,000 miles travelled in three snowbird trips. Pricing was lowered by $50.00 each by buying all six at one time.

I'm going with Yoko's in the spring. As my tires are 8yrs old now. If I was driving more then 12,000 miles a year. I would stick with the Mich's. But I'm not. 6 Mich's are close to $4,000. 6 Yoko's are $2,300. Replacing tires every 6 yrs or so, and not driving that much to get your money's worth. That's why I'm going with the Yoko's.

Sadly,  took off a beautiful set of Michelins this year that rode and drove great, had plenty of tread and had no cracks, but were eight years old.  (Michelin thinks ten years is OK, but I'm not comfortable with that).

Went to Pete's Tires in Indio CA, the go-to place for the FMCA Michelin good-guy deal, which turned out to be around $5K installed for six tires.  When I gulped a couple of times, the sales guy recommended I consider Hankook's.  They were half that price, installed.  Pete's also give me close to $100 per tire for the take-off Michelins, that I didn't even ask for. Great place to buy tires.

Anyway, the Hankooks drive and ride beautifully - feel about 98 % as good as the Michelin's.  No telling how long they'll last, but at the price, all they have to go is half the distance.

I asked the tire salesman when they installed 4 new Michelins for me, just the backs ones, why are they so expensive. He said they are because Michelin charges whatever they want for them, and people still buy them. End of story.

Bill

I had Michelins put on my coach, my wife's car, and mine too.  Every single one of them began cracking at right around 4 years.

The ones in the coach were replaced with Summitomos, wife's car got Bridgestones, and my car got Pirellis.

No more overpriced Michelins for us.

Bob.n.Carolyn said:
Sadly,  took off a beautiful set of Michelins this year that rode and drove great, had plenty of tread and had no cracks, but were eight years old.  (Michelin thinks ten years is OK, but I'm not comfortable with that).

Went to Pete's Tires in Indio CA, the go-to place for the FMCA Michelin good-guy deal, which turned out to be around $5K installed for six tires.  When I gulped a couple of times, the sales guy recommended I consider Hankook's.  They were half that price, installed.  Pete's also give me close to $100 per tire for the take-off Michelins, that I didn't even ask for. Great place to buy tires.

Anyway, the Hankooks drive and ride beautifully - feel about 98 % as good as the Michelin's.  No telling how long they'll last, but at the price, all they have to go is half the distance.

JUST CURIOUS - why the $100 for the take offs?  Can he resell them or retread them?  Seems like they were 8/10's worn out.

I'm not really sure.  They didn't disclose that they were giving me the allowance until the new tires were on and I was going over the invoice with my credit card in hand.  Made nearly a $600 swing in the bottom line over what I had agreed to.

I should have asked, but it would have been difficult while holding my breath while I paid the bill!

We replaced the Michelins on our steer axle with Hankooks two years ago and have been totally pleased.  They are quieter and ride smoother and were ~60% of the cost. 

Russ+Chris said:
I'm going with Yoko's in the spring. As my tires are 8yrs old now. If I was driving more then 12,000 miles a year. I would stick with the Mich's. But I'm not. 6 Mich's are close to $4,000. 6 Yoko's are $2,300. Replacing tires every 6 yrs or so, and not driving that much to get your money's worth. That's why I'm going with the Yoko's.
Which Yokohama's are you going with?  RY023?  Truck/Bus tires mostly for in-city driving.....

I don't use the same size as you, but I am a Toyo fan.  Replaced all the Michelins on a previous MH with Toyo and have replaced as needed with Toyo on current MH.  Dick

Exactly which Toyo's did you buy was it the 245/75R 22.5  (154) 14 ply ,,,,,,, i am looking to replace my 4 rear Michelins with somethoing reasonably priced and the Toyos are getting good word of mouth here. PS- i have a 1993 Pace Arrow Diesel Pusher,,, will 14 ply tires be fine as my old michelins are 16 ply

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom