Wireless rear viewe cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bob1553

I recently purchased a '94 Pace Arrow that, unfortunately, is not equipped with a rear view camera.  I am considering a wireless camera, but I am wondering about the experiences others have had with these cameras.  My RV is 34 feet long.  How is the signal strength?  Suggestions on hooking up power to the camera? Thanks for any input.

bob1553 said:
I recently purchased a '94 Pace Arrow that, unfortunately, is not equipped with a rear view camera.  I am considering a wireless camera, but I am wondering about the experiences others have had with these cameras.  My RV is 34 feet long.  How is the signal strength?  Suggestions on hooking up power to the camera? Thanks for any input.

We have a member who did it in his fifth wheel and has no issues as far as reception. He has pictures to show how he mounted it to the valance on the back window. He had power right there also.  Hopefully he's watching and will chime in.

I purchased a Garmin RV760 (I think thats the model number) and got a wireless camera with it. Already have camera in coach but GPS no longer supported.
Anyway, last summer I bought a car to tow and the car doesn't have GPS or backup camera so I installed camera in the car since I will move GPS to car when using.
Over the course of summer, there were occasions that my better half was in car maybe 150 yards ahead, put car in reverse and I saw behind car on GPS screen.
So I can highly recommend this make from personal experience.
Hope this helps
Bob

I just ordered this today.  I'll let you know what I think.  I have heard and read a loy of positive reviews on their products. 

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety-solutions/backup-camera-systems/wireless-backup-camera-systems/commercial-grade-wifi-backup-camera-system.html

I put a wireless rear view safety cam on my 5er and it worked great standing still or backing up, but it could not keep up as a continuous monitor.  It seems it just couldn't pass data fast enough going down the highway with the picture changing so fast, and it would just lock up.  Often the car I was looking at on the monitor had already passed. I ended up returning it and going to a wired camera and it worked perfect.

You might have better luck on the shorter distance of a motorhome than I did.

BeagleDad said:
I just ordered this today.  I'll let you know what I think.  I have heard and read a loy of positive reviews on their products. 

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety-solutions/backup-camera-systems/wireless-backup-camera-systems/commercial-grade-wifi-backup-camera-system.html

I agree with ussing rear view safety. I think it will work out for you.

Rear View Safety Cam will also work with you to swap any camera type or monitor on the package you order.  They are a quality product. 

RV_Fan86 said:
I agree with ussing rear view safety. I think it will work out for you.

I would prefer not to have the camera on all the time. I intend to use the mirrors while driving, though being able to do a quick look to check the toad now and again is probably a good idea. Trying to use the cam as a full-time rear view would become a habit that could fail you at the wrong time. Never trust technology too much.

You can put a switch on-line. That way, you can turn the camera on and off at your desire.

I have a Voyager wireless rear view camera on my Class C 23U and love it.  It has never failed me and wide field of view is great when changing lanes.  I bought it to keep an eye on my toad but now use it even when not towing.  The camera is wired to my running lights so if I want it off I just turn off the running lights although I can't think of a reason to turn it off.  Word of warning though - unplug the monitor from the 12v outlet.  Just turning it off won't work and it will continue to draw power and will drain your battery over time.  I learned this the hard way.

UPDATE:  The member was FALCONHUNTER and this is the post where he supplied pictures of what he did.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,74206.msg675114.html#msg675114

I think he may have other posts in which he talks about the camera.

Maybe he'll chime in.

The cost of wireless made me go another direction.  Harbor Freight had a dual camera wired system under 70 bucks!  Screen is fine for it's use.  It's advertised as a home system, but I purchased a plug at Radio Shack and wired into RV power with a fuse.,

Back
Top Bottom