trip west

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dblocker

planning a trip in 2017 from april thru whenever.  leaving Conroe Tx going to branson MO to Mt Rushmore to Yellowstone to Washington, Oregon California and back across the SW to Conroe (Houston).  any suggestions of must see places and things to see along the way would be much appreciated.  traveling in a forty foot pusher with a tow vehicle.  first trip west in a motorhome.

Dee

Oh are you in for a shock. You will not believe how much beauty you will be seeing. There are dozens of great things I could recommend but I will limit my suggestions. I have been to all 47 of the National Parks in the lower 48,

1 - Yosemite - most beautiful spot in the country.
2 - Grand Canyon - one of the seven wonders of the world.
3 - Grand Tetons - so much wildlife it is like a zoo without bars.
4 - Zion - hikers paradise.
5 - Death Valley - the desert is incredibly beautiful.

US101 down the cosst guaranteed you will jot regret the experience.  Sadly though you will miss some wonderful country.

I like Bryce Canyon even more than Zion which is great.  Also the Moab area has both Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park.  Both are great for different reasons.  There are lots of old sites like Mesa Verde and other Anasazi-type ruins.  There also are various geologic formations such as Meteor Crater and volcanic places like Lassen National Park.  What do you like to do and what do you enjoy seeing?  There are lots of neat places to hike, for example.

ArdraF

I would start in the south and then head north - kind of the opposite of what you initially describe. Zion, Death Valley, and Grand Canyon will be very hot in the summer, while Yellowstone is still snowbound in April (and sometimes early May). Are you a hiker, bicyclist, sightseer from a car? Interested in scenery or history or something else? Even if you spent 6 months on the trip, you will still miss beautiful places, so just concentrate on the highlights appropriate for your interests.

Plan a few days in Cody Wyoming and the surrounding area. Weeks would be better

Outside Mt Rushmore in Wyoming is keyhole state park, nice place to stay in that vicinity. If you get a chance stay on the Shoshone forest and enjoy that area, outside of East entrance of Yellowstone. Or stay in Red lodge and see the Beartooth highway.. check that out... lots to see and do in that area!

Mt. Rushmore was a primary destination for us last summer.  It was a highlight but I find myself talking about the Minuteman Missile National Monument and the tours at the Launch facility and at a missile silo just as much. These are located near the Badlands National Park.  I wound highly recommend if you have any interest in this defense system and camping at the Badlands was very nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom