EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Solar ring connectors to a 2 battery bank  (Read 2845 times)

marcortez

• ---
Re: Solar ring connectors to a 2 battery bank
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 01:23:29 PM »
First of all, why change out the Exides for the Trojans? the energy storage on both is basically the same, and although I'd agree that the Trojan is a better battery I don't think it's $300 better. Assuming your Exides are good, I would keep them and buy a 2nd panel with the money. To run all that stuff you'll need at least another panel anyway.
[/quote

The Exides are in the truck camper I have sold.....they are no longer in the equation. So the "why" does not apply.

I have already been told that "take off" credit for dealer installed run of the mill deep cycles would apply.
Ending up with $65 more each, or $130 for two Trojan T-105's. Instead of $300 more, it's down to $130 more with "take off" credit.

Based on my past use of a 100W solar panel and the dual Exides, and with my power requirements, a 120W solar panel seems sufficient.
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CC 4x4 CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja 245RLW

xrated

• ---
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 01:38:08 PM »
The way to figure this out is to see what the amp/hour total is with two 12 volt batteries that the dealer would supply......add up the amp/hours from each battery and that is your total if they are hooked up in parallel.

Then, add look at the Trojan 6 volt batteries that will be hooked up in series and see what the amp/hour rating is on one of the batteries.  That will be your total amp/hour for that setup......
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 01:54:20 PM »
Well that changes everything.  You have no choice on where you put the terminals from the charger.... You do have a 12V charger.....right?

I am not going say the obvious. Enough said.
Mark, I don't disagree that problems in the chain can be a problem but I don't assume perfect either, just well maintained and designed.

IMO the myth exists because people don't maintain their systems as often as they should or the builder went cheap.

You're correct. I won't dispute that fact. Problem is reality and normal behavior can cost those particular people money. So be it. We don't disagree. We just have two different reasons for the same result. I can deal with that.
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

Desert_Rat

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2016, 05:37:29 PM »
First of all, why change out the Exides for the Trojans? the energy storage on both is basically the same, and although I'd agree that the Trojan is a better battery I don't think it's $300 better. Assuming your Exides are good, I would keep them and buy a 2nd panel with the money. To run all that stuff you'll need at least another panel anyway.
[/quote

The Exides are in the truck camper I have sold.....they are no longer in the equation. So the "why" does not apply.

I have already been told that "take off" credit for dealer installed run of the mill deep cycles would apply.
Ending up with $65 more each, or $130 for two Trojan T-105's. Instead of $300 more, it's down to $130 more with "take off" credit.

Based on my past use of a 100W solar panel and the dual Exides, and with my power requirements, a 120W solar panel seems sufficient.

Ah, that makes sense.

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2016, 08:36:45 PM »
This is what I was wanting to do and by no means am I a electrical engineer, who is wise to the ways of volts, amps and watts.

My camping will be done out west where there is normally ample hours of sun and 90% of this camping will be done without electrical hookups.

I don't have the trailer yet......but close to making a purchase.
The trailer "box" is 23 feet on the unit I am considering.

My useage would be minimal of 12V power.....I am single with no dogs, cats or any two legged companions.
Lighting, water pump, furnace fan if needed, refer electronics, electronic safety devices, OEM AM-FM-DVD player and the TV....along with a 600W inverter to power a laptop computer and various small electronic devices. Not all at one time.
I have zero need for a toaster, hair dryer, a Mr. Coffee maker or any other high draw electrical appliances.

Currently I camp in a truck slide in camper that has a 100W roof mounted solar panel feeding 2 Exide Edge 12V AGM batts in parallel, and is equipped with a 300W inverter that runs a laptop and a portable radio for hours on end with zero issues.

I was planning on getting a 120W GoPower portable solar panel setup to recharge the 2 supplied house batts on the yet to be purchased TT.
As an option before taking delivery of this new unit, I can change out the supplied batteries from 2 12V to 2 6V.

My tendency is to replace the supplied 12V batts (take off credit) with 2 Trojan T-105 6 volt units and wire in series to take advantage of increased Ah's and reported battery longevity, over 2 12V units.

Thank you and all comments welcome.
If I am understanding you correctly the two 12V batteries you want to change to the Trojan T105's are in the trailer you are going to buy.

Assuming the 12V batteries each have about 100-120AH capacity, swapping then to a pair of 6V golf cart sized batteries at 220AH each, you will NOT be increasing your AH capacity.  When you wire batteries in series the voltage adds but the total AH's stay the same.  When you wire the two 12V batteries in parallel the voltage stays the same, but the AH adds.

I agree with Desert Rat, I don't think Trojans are that much better to be worth the extra cost.  Go with a pair of Costco or Sam's Club golf cart batteries. 
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

markbarendt

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2016, 09:14:46 PM »
If I am understanding you correctly the two 12V batteries you want to change to the Trojan T105's are in the trailer you are going to buy.

Assuming the 12V batteries each have about 100-120AH capacity, swapping then to a pair of 6V golf cart sized batteries at 220AH each, you will NOT be increasing your AH capacity.  When you wire batteries in series the voltage adds but the total AH's stay the same.  When you wire the two 12V batteries in parallel the voltage stays the same, but the AH adds.

I agree with Desert Rat, I don't think Trojans are that much better to be worth the extra cost.  Go with a pair of Costco or Sam's Club golf cart batteries.
Yes, doing the math is important.

One thing I really like about using 2 12volt batteries is that if one battery fails you can still have full voltage to work with, just with a reduced reserve.

marcortez

• ---
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2016, 09:46:44 PM »

Yes you are correct....included in a new TT purchase.

I wanted to gain Ah's with the 2 6 volts over a pair of 12v's.
I am also having a difficult time locating the Ah rating of even an Exide Edge AGM battery.
DieHard is no help, as is Johnson controls.
I cannot decipher reserve cranking amps vs a straight up Ah rating.
Most 12V deep cycles I have seen are in the 80-90 hour Ah rating when I can find those specs.

One dealer has told me that they would give a "take off" credit of the dealer installed 12V deep cycle (brand/Ah's unknown) batteries normally included.
The quoted price for a Trojan T-105 would come to $65 each. Or $130 for two with this "take off" credit.

Would you opt to put in 2 Trojans at $130 for a pair if offered that pricing?

Incidentally.....the Costco site does not even give me a view of the various batteries online other than to say "Interstate"....no specs, no prices, no selections. The Interstate website is useless to find out Ah ratings. I get a mumbo jumbo to me, reserve CC amps in various time frames.
Frankly, I am going nuts trying to decipher it all.

Sam's club seems to sell batteries labeled as "Duracell" made by Deka Penn. Ah ratings is 215 I believe.

For what has been offered me, in writing, I will stick with the tried and true Trojans. I have yet to come across any significant number of adverse user reviews.

Maybe 6-8 years later (reported life span with proper maintenance) a Costco or Sam's club battery might make more sense.

marcortez

• ---

markbarendt

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2016, 06:50:58 AM »

That is what I was looking for but could not find........thank you.
They did not make it obvious.

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2017, 09:20:02 PM »
Yes you are correct....included in a new TT purchase.

I wanted to gain Ah's with the 2 6 volts over a pair of 12v's.
I am also having a difficult time locating the Ah rating of even an Exide Edge AGM battery.
DieHard is no help, as is Johnson controls.
I cannot decipher reserve cranking amps vs a straight up Ah rating.
Most 12V deep cycles I have seen are in the 80-90 hour Ah rating when I can find those specs.

One dealer has told me that they would give a "take off" credit of the dealer installed 12V deep cycle (brand/Ah's unknown) batteries normally included.
The quoted price for a Trojan T-105 would come to $65 each. Or $130 for two with this "take off" credit.

Would you opt to put in 2 Trojans at $130 for a pair if offered that pricing?

Incidentally.....the Costco site does not even give me a view of the various batteries online other than to say "Interstate"....no specs, no prices, no selections. The Interstate website is useless to find out Ah ratings. I get a mumbo jumbo to me, reserve CC amps in various time frames.
Frankly, I am going nuts trying to decipher it all.

Sam's club seems to sell batteries labeled as "Duracell" made by Deka Penn. Ah ratings is 215 I believe.

For what has been offered me, in writing, I will stick with the tried and true Trojans. I have yet to come across any significant number of adverse user reviews.

Maybe 6-8 years later (reported life span with proper maintenance) a Costco or Sam's club battery might make more sense.
True deep cycle batteries do not have Reserve Cranking amps.  Any battery, such as a marine battery, sold as a combination of a starting battery and a deep cycle battery is not built like the Deep Cycle batteries, like the Trojan or the golf cart batteries sold by Costco or Sam's.  Golf Cart batteries are usually labeled GC-2 and have about 200-220AH of capacity. 

Here is a link to Sam's Club Golf Cart battery:  http://www.samsclub.com/sams/energizer-golf-cart-battery-group-size-gc2/prod6750008.ip 

Whether you go with 12V or 6V batteries make sure they are true deep cycle batteries.  Most 12V batteries you find in big box stores are not true deep cycle batteries.  So I would just assume that the 12V batteries they put in the trailer are not true deep cycle batteries, unless you can get the exact brand name and model of the 12V battery and verify that it is a deep cycle battery. 

Trojan has some deep cycle 12V batteries on their web site.  Like these here:  http://www.trojanbattery.com/products/deep-cycle-flooded/signature-line-flooded-2/

Personally I would probably not spend $130 extra for the Trojan batteries.  I would see if the dealer would give you $80-$90 credit for each of the 12V batteries.  If so I would go to Costco or Sam's and buy the golf cart (GC-2) batteries.  If not then I would consider the $130 for the Trojan 6V batteries.  I'm not sure I would trust the dealer to change the wiring to put the batteries in series.  I would do it myself. 
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Hosted by Over The Network