RBC or Composite Converter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mothership

Soon I will be upgrading to a Directv HR24 reciever. It has no coax output so I plan on using HDMI output to our main TV.

My problem is the cable going back to our bedroom TV is RG6 coax. How do I convert the RBG or composite output on the reciever to a RG6 coax so I can run our bedroom TV. Is there a spiffy plug and play converter I can buy?

Consider a wireless HDMI transmitter like this https://smile.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-GWHD11/dp/B00NB2ZRH0  there are several on the market with varying ranges up to about 300 feet, but those cost more

No plug and play converters - the HDMI format is high definition and copy protected, so there's no way to convert it to a "broadcast" RF signal you need to send down the coax.

The copy protection is also one reason the satellite box doesn't have a coax output.  The content providers want to make sure the signal coming out of the box only goes to one device and is not being used to make illegal HD copies.

Once you convert the signal to RF to send down the coax, you're essentially broadcasting it and there's nothing stopping anyone from adding additional TVs, recorders, etc.

Not exactly true, look at the link I provided above, there are now wireless HDMI transmitter combos that do all the bidirectional crypto

The HR24 does have RCA Video out and Audio output.  There is a converter to change that to cable. Not expensive.
Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-Modulator-TV-Switch-Audio-Video-RCA-Ant-Input-to-F-Type-Coax-Output-New-/381862759873?hash=item58e8cb4dc1:g:AWIAAOSw5cNYOQDU
I used one for years to feed my Bedroom TV until I upgraded to the genie

Lou Schneider said:
No plug and play converters - the HDMI format is high definition and copy protected, so there's no way to convert it to a "broadcast" RF signal you need to send down the coax.

The copy protection is also one reason the satellite box doesn't have a coax output.  The content providers want to make sure the signal coming out of the box only goes to one device and is not being used to make illegal HD copies.

Once you convert the signal to RF to send down the coax, you're essentially broadcasting it and there's nothing stopping anyone from adding additional TVs, recorders, etc.

Some satellite boxes/receivers do have more than one HD output. Such as Dish's 211K. HDMI and composite, both HD.  The 211K also has a SD coax output.

Richard

I think you mean component not composite.  Composite,the one that uses a single yellow color coded connector for video and usually a white and red for left and right audio is limited to 480P analog resolution, component which uses 3 video connectors one for each primary color plus usually 2 audio connectors (typically coded orange, blue, green, white and red) allows up to 720P by industry practices and anything over 720P must be on HDMI. While component video can in theory handle 1080i, it is typically limited to 720P for anti-copying reasons since it is an analog standard with no copy protection or crypto. 

component which uses 3 video connectors one for each primary color plus usually 2 audio connectors (typically coded orange, blue, green, white and red) allows up to 720P by industry practices and anything over 720P must be on HDMI.

Component also allows 1080I. My large TV downstairs is a 2001 vintage rear projection type that does 1080I and, of course, has no HDMI (didn't exist then), but 1080I works fine.

DirecTV does offer wireless receivers but I don't know if they work with the HR24 box.  Just another option for you to consider looking into.

Happy Trails,
Al

Al Todalen said:
DirecTV does offer wireless receivers but I don't know if they work with the HR24 box.  Just another option for you to consider looking into.

Happy Trails,
Al

We have the wireless receivers for Direct that MUST have the main Genie box, as they are nothing but remote access to that main one. Unless there's another wireless they have that I'm not aware of, they won't work with the H24. The HR22-100 that we have is tied through ethernet LAN to the Genie, also, and its  recorded programs show up along with the Genie's recorded programs (effectively doubling our program storage, if we're careful) when listing what's recorded. But it's not wireless. This HR22 is what we take in the motorhome when we travel, hooked to our Trav'ler.

Isaac-1 said:
I think you mean component not composite.  Composite,the one that uses a single yellow color coded connector for video and usually a white and red for left and right audio is limited to 480P analog resolution, component which uses 3 video connectors one for each primary color plus usually 2 audio connectors (typically coded orange, blue, green, white and red) allows up to 720P by industry practices and anything over 720P must be on HDMI. While component video can in theory handle 1080i, it is typically limited to 720P for anti-copying reasons since it is an analog standard with no copy protection or crypto.

I sit corrected. DUH! Good catch.
But my 211k does do 1080 over component.

Richard

Isaac-1 said:
Consider a wireless HDMI transmitter like this https://smile.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-GWHD11/dp/B00NB2ZRH0  there are several on the market with varying ranges up to about 300 feet, but those cost more
Yeah, you really don't want to downconvert HD on an HDMI output to composite SD video, the results are terrible. There are ATSC modulators that can do that out there but they are not cheap. I ran an HDMI cable to the back. Not fun but works great. RF HDMI not as robust but a 15min install

Back
Top Bottom