Looking at a Sunstar to purchase New

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curiosity

Hi everyone,
Just looked at a Sunstar Class A.  I think it is 29 VE model.  How is the warranty and service.  Are they good RV? 

This has a full driver side slide. Are they prone to  problem. 

The dealer is offering to add fans to the top vents. Is that a good idea? he will include the covers that are direcional

How are they at towing?  I want to get some kind of small car or Jeep to runaround it.

I also plan on boondocking

Thanks,  John

This will be my first RV so I am nervous

Should be a good motor home for you. Winnebago is good about warranty, but repair and follow through are up to dealer. Many are slow to respond and some don't know what they are doing. You might consider a slightly used one where someone else went through the misery of dealing with warranty corrections to the motor home. I find a 4 year old motor home to be about right. Most won't have more than 12,000 miles on them, the price will be a lot lower and the bugs should be worked out.

Curiosity said:
Just looked at a Sunstar Class A.  I think it is 29 VE model.  How is the warranty and service.  Are they good RV? 
  Yes, Winnebago makes a quality coach and has a good warranty and good factory support. We have not had problems getting our Winnie serviced around the US in our travels, but some dealers are competent and some are not. There have been times when I had to get Winnebago Owner Relations involved to get an issue taken care of. While under warranty I sometimes had a dealer tell me "Winnebago won't cover that," but when I contacted Winnebago Owner Relations, they did in fact cover it either partially or completely. Some of my contacts with them were by phone, many were by email with pictures.

This has a full driver side slide. Are they prone to  problem. 
  Winnebago had a problem with slide mechanisms in recent years ...Schwintek was the brand I believe. Hopefully a current owner of the current model can tell you how they are now.

The dealer is offering to add fans to the top vents. Is that a good idea? he will include the covers that are direcional
Unless something has changed, Winnebago coaches come with roof vents with fans in the vent. I did add vent covers
over mine.  ...or are you talking about the black/grey tank vents?? My coach has only one combined tank vent and I added an Xtreme vent (venturi type).

How are they at towing?  I want to get some kind of small car or Jeep to runaround it.
Just be sure you know the towing capacity of the coach and hitch, and stay within those limits.

I also plan on boondocking
If you want to do a LOT of boondocking, you will likely want to add several good solar panels to the roof and more storage batteries. The solar panel that comes on the coach from the factory (most/all Winnies do I believe) is very minimal in what it will do for you ....mine won't even keep the batteries charged up when in storage with nothing running.

Enjoy the adventure!!

I was shopping for a slightly used RV Class A or C when I looked at this one.  I like the idea of the warranties since I am not sure if or how to get something other than theirs

It does have 1 little fan for the bathroom. The other is more of a skylight that can open up

The towing capacity on Winnebago site is 5000 lbs.

The price is not great.  It looks like the normal discounted price. Still high

He is offering to throw things in like the fan and cover but they cant be that expensive to buy and add.

Its good to hear that the company does respond when needed.

Would also recommend buying used, for all the reasons you have likely already heard.

We have had 4 Winnebago's since 1990, 2 new an A & C & 2 used  C's,  2 with slides.  We have never had all the problems people speak of new or used.  That said I would never buy new again.  If it didn't have them I have always added reversible Fantastic power vent vans to every RV, if you do get the ones with remotes.  Good luck with your purchase.  Dick 

Looked at a 2011 Suncruiser 32H which is maybe 1 or 2 feet longer than the Sunstar but has a better wheelbase.  It's has a 220" wheelbase vs the 190" on the Sunstar.  You will like that longer wheelbase when you're on the highway.  It has a full wall slide and a second bedroom slide. 

garyb1st said:
...You will like that longer wheelbase when you're on the highway.  ...
Exactly. Another element in handling is how much of an overhang the house has past the rear axle. Short overhang + long wheelbase = good road manners. Those Motorhomes with a long overhang past the rear axle will be 'squirrely' or like the tail wagging the dog requiring lots of steering inputs.

I'm on my 3rd Winnebago and like the product. We have a Vista 30 t with 3 slides, I think the 29VE is a better floor plan with the full wall slide. The slide out is the screw jack kind of the past and way better than the Schwintek slide outs. You'll like the larger shower bigger than the one we have in ours. Go to Winnebago for repairs. They do a great job... far better than those clowns at CW. Enjoy!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom