EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: crack near corner of window  (Read 3650 times)

bobg1946

• ---
crack near corner of window
« on: May 13, 2005, 02:57:05 PM »
just found a crack in body about 1+1/2 in. long near top left corner of passenger window in back of mh. c class.   starting to get really worried about this.  is there something i can do about this?             appreciate any help

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
Re: crack near corner of window
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 03:23:13 PM »
Contact a glass repair company like Safelite and they may be able to stop the crack from spreading.  Your insurance will quite likely cover the repair.  Don't wait too long as cracks can suddenly lengthen if not treated.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

DonJordan

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 04:41:49 PM »
Ned,

I think he was saying that the crack is in the body of the coach, not the window.
Don Jordan.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 04:54:16 PM »
I think he was saying that the crack is in the body of the coach, not the window.

In that case, never mind :)  Others are more experienced in body repair.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 05:14:16 PM »
just found a crack in body about 1+1/2 in. long near top left corner of passenger window in back of mh. c class.   starting to get really worried about this.  is there something i can do about this?             appreciate any help

If the crack is in fiberglass I would recommend finding somebody experienced in fiberglass repair.  What brand coach is it and how old is it?  If it is still under warranty or close I would take it to the dealer.  In any case might be a good idea to call the manufacturer to see if they have had similar reports and what corrective action they suggest.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 05:32:01 PM »
To prevent the crack from lengthening while you find a place or the time to get the repair done, drill a small round hole at each end of the crack; 1/8th inch or 3/16ths inch hole should do the trick, or use whatever drill size is necessary to completely 'cover' the crack. This is a tried and true method used by many racecar mechanics on fiberglass body cracks.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 05:33:28 PM »
Oops! Almost forgot. Put a piece of waterproof tape over it to keep the water out.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 10:47:21 PM »

If the crack is in the fiberglass I would contact the MFG and arrange to have it addressed. If the coach is under warranty they should cover the expense. If it is in the glass it might be due to undo stress on the windshield due to jacking. If you have a 3 point jack system, be sure the front jack is raised a slight amount to ensure you are off the frame. If you have a 4 point system that allows each jack to be manipulated individually, make sure you don't over extend any one of the jacks. Most 4 point systems today only allow you to operate two jacks at a time so you don't cause undo stress on the coach.

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Hosted by Over The Network