axles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janpaul

The brochure for our new 5er lists Ultra Lube Axles as one of the standard features. The mfg. literature for the axles(AL-KO) that came with it shows two types, Ultra Lube and Perma Lube. The Ultra Lube section says "There is no need to lift the trailer before greasing axles equipped with Ultralube: Remove the rubber plug from the grease cap. Insert  grease gun on the grease zert. Pump until new grease appears. Replace rubber plug." I can not locate a rubber plug anywhere. Is it possible that they have installed Permalube, which is a maintenance free, automotive type cartridge bearing system containing sealed bearings. Or am I just not seeing the fitting? I did find the plug to remove to access the adjusting wheel.

I have those axles on my boat trailer.  The rubber plug is in the end of the axle cover, pops out to reveal a grease zerk in the end of the axle.  You pump grease through a centerline channel in the axle, it is them routed into the inner bearing then through the outer bearing.  the old grease is pushed out around the outer edge of the bearing as the fresh grease is pumped in.  I really like this system, especially on a boat trailer where you need to check the bearing after every dunking.

Janpaul, there is no cover to remove on my wheels, the picture of the bearing shown on the web page suggested by azmuddawg is what I have.  Yours may be different but should be somewhat similar if, in fact, you have this type of axle. The rubber plug should be directly assessable at the axle end.

I found it! The center caps on my wheels have a removeable cap, and it is accessible behind that. Thanks for all the help. Paul

These axles were made for boat trailers, which usually don't have brakes.

Don't pump in grease until you see the old grease come out as if there is the slightest leak on the inner bearing seal, guess where the grease goes ..... and I'll guarantee you grease lined brakes don't work too well. I have the same type axle, and the most I do is 3 pumps of the grease gun twice a year (spring and fall). Check you literature closely and I'll bet somewhere in there, it is recommended that at lease once a year to pull the brake drums to inspect the brakes, and while you are at it, hand pack the bearings.

Larry

Larry, I agree you do need to watch the rear seal.  They recommend that you jack up the wheel and rotate it as you pump in the new grease. Apparently that reduces the likelihood of blowing the seal. I have been doing this on my boat trailer (with brakes) for over seven years and still have the original seals. Of course after dunking the axle in sal****er, I usually want to replace the old grease so I pump until I see the new.  On a RV you aren't getting it under water so the necessity to exchange the grease in not so great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom