Replacement of lost FL DL...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was last a resident of FL and am having some issues about the best way to proceed full-time into the RVing lifestyle...
I sold my FL home in 2015 and have been out of the US since that time.  Having misplaced my FL license (though it is still current and showing my old address)  I've looked into "establishing domicile" in FL, though am assuming that technically, I am still registered there.. and wonder, how might I replace my DL with no current fixed abode?  It feels as though I'm in a bit of a catch 22 situation!

I'm a new member with Escapees and am thinking that there's some way around it all by signing up with a mail forwarding service, through them, with their FL address???

I would think you could do it online. If it's current all you should need is an address to send the new one to, and the fee of course. :)

Since youre not at the address listed on your license, you would probably have to go down to an office in person with some sort of IDs showing that you are the same person as who is on the license.

cadee2c said:
Since youre not at the address listed on your license, you would probably have to go down to an office in person with some sort of IDs showing that you are the same person as who is on the license.

Doing this will likely mean that you will be obliged to give them a new address.... Most likely they won't issue a FL DL without having a good Florida address. (Don't know about a PO Box as an address, some states accept it, others may not.)

If you want a Florida address or DL info, contact the folks at SBI Mail Service in Green Cove Springs  https://www.sbimailservice.com/ . Click on "Become a Florida Resident" tab and then the "Learn More" link. There you will find more links to all kinds of stuff including FL driver license.

Your answer may vary from state to State.. My License expieres .. Soon.. Too soon for me to return home and renew it, So I E-mailed, they gave me a phone number to call.. I went to town so the phone would work, and called, And I can tell you it was one of the most pleasant conversations I've even had with a Government officials save for the one who told me "You are hired".  I now have "License Extension.PDF" on my hard drive, and when the time comes I'll print, sign and staple.. My licnse now expieres in mid-Summer when I will be in Michigan.

Also, if you are in the correct state, that works,, but you do wish to go into the office, that way you get "instant satisfaction" not an E-mail and wait a week or 2 for paper...

Drivers liscense offices are Kind of like sod farms.. you know.. Instant grassification.

Have you applied for auto insurance yet? 

Had some friends who lived in Europe a couple years and they had to pay a bunch to get car insurance when they got back to the USA.

I'm a new member with Escapees and am thinking that there's some way around it all by signing up with a mail forwarding service, through them, with their FL address???

Yes, Texas also is a no-income tax state which can make a financial dent in one's income.  By using Escapees for mail you also can become an official Texas resident for taxes, vehicle registration, voting, etc.  It is legal while many of the other states are in gray areas when they set up LLCs and such for RVers.  Many RVers call Livingston TX home.  I'm no expert on the subject but am thinking that because you sold your FL home you no longer have a valid FL address which would give you the option of declaring a new domicile state.  Just make sure you do your homework before deciding because various states can be more desirable than others, depending on what's most important for you such as taxes, inheritance laws, etc.

ArdraF

Thanks for the advice all!

My FL DL made an appearance and so I won't have to worry about the hassles of replacing it... Thank the Lord! :)

carolinesqueaky said:
Thanks for the advice all!

My FL DL made an appearance and so I won't have to worry about the hassles of replacing it... Thank the Lord! :)

FYI, FL law requires that DMV be notified of current valid address.

Back
Top Bottom