Slits/holes under windows letting in water??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alex8

Hello! I'm the recent owner of a 5th wheel, am living in it full-time and learning new things every day. Recently I realized that when it rains, the inside of my windowsill fills up with water. I believe it's coming in through these slits that I can only assume are designed to let water out rather than in, but I really don't understand why they are there. I checked the window for leaks with a garden hose and maybe one drop came in between the slit in the window where it opens but the majority of the water came in through these slits.

Here are the photos I took of the outside:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/cgn37lkc6dlpaik/AADtmIRFsWiTUCOnKc0hAk3-a

Is anyone able to tell me what these holes are for? I want to plug them up somehow but not if they serve some important purpose.

Thanks so much.

The holes are there to allow condensation that forms on the windows in cooler weather to drain. Some makes of windows have small snap on covers for the drains that prevent the rain intrusion issue you're having. As a temporary fix, consider covering them with vinyl tape, such as electrical tape, leaving a small "bubble" at the bottom of the tape for drainage.

The water is supposed to run out the drain slots before it can build up high enough to overflow inside, even in a driving rain. Besides, the window glass should be filling the track and preventing any leakage. Maybe your track is slightly worn?

Thanks, Gary. Maybe it's the window track and the water is not coming in where I thought it was. If that's the case, what would I need to do about that??

What Gary said. Those drains are drains. If they get plugged up and blocked, no drain. Try cleaning them out.

Thanks everyone. They are clean and it is a horizontal window, so I'm still unsure what is causing the problem. I put a piece of tape on the outside to block rain blowing but still allow water to escape, so hopefully this will help the problem.

I'd look around the top of the windows to see if the caulking is cracked, letting water in.  Those drains are good things and you don't want to tape over them. 

I actually had a window that was missing those weep holes.  I looked at all the others and it was the only one missing them - and water was accumulating in the well on the inside. I took a small drill bit and created a couple of holes - water shot out of them!  Haven't had water filling the well since.

GR 'Scott' Cundiff said:
I'd look around the top of the windows to see if the caulking is cracked, letting water in.  Those drains are good things and you don't want to tape over them. 

I actually had a window that was missing those weep holes.  I looked at all the others and it was the only one missing them - and water was accumulating in the well on the inside. I took a small drill bit and created a couple of holes - water shot out of them!  Haven't had water filling the well since.

Thanks. I'll be sure to check for more leaks up high when I'm back home after the holidays.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom