Airconditioner/ heater on a 2003 winny brave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dazley

I'm having trouble with  my Jenny's rear Airconditioner/heater, when I turn it on I can hear the air compressor come on but the fan will not, I took the shield/ cover off and spun the fan and it worked like it should until it reached temp then the fan quit and wouldn't come back on unles I spun it by hand again... Is my fan motor bad or is it something else.

A little more info may help ... I am guessing this is NOT a basement ac/heat pump unit?? (which I thought a 2003 rig would have...)

Most ac/heat pumps have an individual start capacitor for each of the compressor(s) and the inside & outside blowers, but I can't see you removing any cover to spin the blower on a basement unit.

I had that problem and Coleman suggested I pull the fuse located on the thermostat and leave it out for 15 min.  Worked for a while but finally had to change out the thermostat. I have 1 2004 Brave

Hey Jim-

On residential units, if (with the unit turned on; i.e., the compressor running but the fan not)  you have to spin the fan by hand to make it run......it is almost always the fan capacitor.  (Capacitor is "open".)  Same should be true, I believe, for an RV A/C or Heat Pump unit.....but I have never worked on them.  These days, the fan cap is usually in the same "can" as the compressor run cap, so you will probably need to buy the whole thing (somewhere around $25).  If the fan cap is separate, it will be much smaller than the compressor run cap.  Suggest you mark the wires, remove the cap and take it to Grainger's or equivalent for a replacement part. 

I have a capacitor checker, but they are too pricey for the average guy to keep in their tool box (and take up space).  Perhaps your Grainger-type place could check the capacitor out for you...dunno.  Unfortunately, most A/C supply houses won't normally sell to the public.....I know mine won't.

Good luck with the fix..............

It sounds like the starting capacitor.  We just fixed my daughters last fall that way.  We bought the parts on Amazon with the part numbers we found on the cans.  I think Camping World has them as well.  If the fan turns, I suspect the motor is fine.

Thanks for all the help. I'll try changing the
caps. Will let you know what happend. Thanks to all...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom