Damon owners (current or previous)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I replaced my original shocks (2003) workhorse chassis with bilsteins. Prior to last trip. The old shocks were so bad they needed help to expand once removed.

trophy said:
I replaced my original shocks (2003) workhorse chassis with bilsteins. Prior to last trip. The old shocks were so bad they needed help to expand once removed.

Hi Trophy,

Are you happy with the ride on the Bilsteins?

I have a 2001 Damon Daybreak on the Workhorse chassis with the 454 Vortec engine.  I bought mine used when it was 13 years old but in immaculate condition.  The only thing I didn't like was the wheelbase to length ratio.  It was less than 50% which made it very susceptible to side winds.  I found by putting a track bar on the rear almost all of that problem was removed.  The front has independent suspension and rides and tracks well.  it wasn't too hard to put the track bar on but I did have to relocate the exhaust from exiting behind the rear tire to exiting in front because the exhaust pipe was right where I had to put the track bar. 
The only mechanical issue I had was when the engine's crank sensor went bad and the engine stopped running.  A new sensor fixed that but it sure did cause some "excitement".
Oh yeah, one other thing.  Don't use the brakes too much in stop and go traffic.  Downshift and pace yourself.  If the brakes overheat it can leave you without brakes because of brake fade.  Also very exciting.
I applied Dynamat sound proofing under the "doghouse" and stopped 90% of the engine noise.  Something worth considering.
I'm still happy with it but wish the bathroom was a little bigger and wish I had leveling jacks but everybody has something they want for the next one.

Hi RtsRV,

Great advice on the brakes. Could you elaborate more on the sound proofing.

I just checked and my exhaust is in front of my rear tires. My wheelbase is about 50 or 51% and the wind does knock me about a bit.

The leveling Jacks sure are handy, I find the bathroom a decent size, what model do you have?

Thanks,

New shocks ride good. Considering how bad the old ones were. Anything would of been an improvement. My issues are dash air, never worked. And both right side Jacks need help coming up.

stephenm
The sound deadening I used is Dynamat and I found mine here:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dyc-10455/overview/
although you can buy it other places and there are other manufactures who make similar products.  It is about 1/8" thick and peel-and-stick, so it is very easy to install on a clean surface.  I covered the under side of the "doghouse" and all around the engine bay where it adjoins the interior flooring.  Don't forget to cover the area under the dash from the windshield back. That is where it made the final difference in soundproofing.
The track bar was selected for my chassis and I got it on Amazon but they can be found other places also.
EX: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Workhorse+track+bar&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AWorkhorse+track+bar

I hope this helps.

We have a 91 Damon escaper 38ft with a bath and half and third axle. Washer, dryer, four Bunner oven, lots of room and storage. Powered by the 454. 65,000 complete new roof four years ago.

I've owned 2 Damons. 95 30ft Challenger and a 98 33.6 ft Daybreak. The Challenger had marine grade plywood for flooring, better basement door latches, light switches for some of the lights, upgraded 7000 watt generator. The furnace and water heater were put above the floor line in the Challenger, instead of the basement. So I would say the Challenger was a better built and thought out coach. Don't know what flooring was used in the Daybreak, but I didn't like the latches they used on the Daybreak. The Daybreak had a 216" wheelbase compared to the 178" on the Challenger so it did ride a bit better, but sacrificed turning radius. If I was to buy another coach, it WOULD be another Damon, and probably a Challenger or Intruder, but I wouldn't back away from a Daybreak either if I found one I liked. Just so happed to like the color combo and floor plans on both of my coachs. She didn't like the split bath on the Challenger is why I moved to the larger coach. Then she became Ill, and we will not be able to travel, so I sold it. 

stephenm said:
Hi Moto,

I replaced my TV also with a 32" Lcd I had at home.

My decals are not in bad condition at all, mainly some scratching on the front. I would definitely go for full body paint for my next rig.

I was at a local truck shop getting the  Roadmaster reflex fitted and I asked what condition my shocks were in.  I was told if they needed replacing I would know it. When I go over a railway crossing it bounces just once normally, or twice if I am going fast.

I have seen 2 day breaks in my neighborhood but have never seen one at a camp ground, did park next to a challenger recently.

We find the curb side couch much more comfortable than the drivers side one. It's seems the back part of the drivers side sofa is too full and the sofa is not as wide.

Edit: Mine is indeed the f53.

I am pretty sure my original shocks were in good condition but the Koni FSD shocks made for a much smoother ride over the sharp bumps. I forgot to mention that I also put a bunch of Dynamat under the doghouse and everywhere else I could place it and that was a huge improvement in interior noise.

Others have addressed suspension and such.. I'll address one of the sub systems.

When I got my 2005 Intruder, being a Radio operator and thus one who uses a lot of 12 volt DC. I did some research into the converter they provided, Progressive Dynamics Intella-power 9180 with wizard.

Though this make/model is not unique in this statement (The 9280 with dongle is electronically identical as are a few other Intella=power models)  These models are the best of the best as far as I could tell...

There are some other systems too that were built with quality components.. And in my case the floor plan is "Bath and a half" so as wife and I travfeled and drank "Strange water"  That 2nd hole was .... NICE....

The power gear main slide.. Well once I learned how to do it right it's not so bad but I replaced a lot of quarter inch bolts.

Hi John,

I am sure that's the same charge controller I have.

Hi Motoxbob,

I will be bringing mine in for a service in April and will ask them about the shocks again.

Hi 92ga,

My 34' 9' Daybreak is on a 216.5" wheelbase, handling seems to be ok, but don't have anything to compare it too.

That's a shame you had to sell it, I hope your wife is doing ok now.

Hi mnmnutswer,

Was your roof leaking? would you mind sharing what it cost to replace?

Hi RTsRV,

That's something i will definitley check out.

Thanks all for posting.

motoxbob said:
I am pretty sure my original shocks were in good condition but the Koni FSD shocks made for a much smoother ride over the sharp bumps. I forgot to mention that I also put a bunch of Dynamat under the doghouse and everywhere else I could place it and that was a huge improvement in interior noise.

Hi Motoxbob,

That's the shocks added to the list of things to check at the April visit to the truck shop.

Back
Top Bottom