Wisdom by Will Rogers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian

This came in my mailbag tonight. Enjoy ;)With an unusually wise sense of humor, Will Rogers, who died in a plane crash with Wylie Post in 1935, was probably the greatest political sage this country has ever known. He was half native American and all cowboy from Oklahoma .

These quotes have likely been seen before, but they are good enough to deserve a second look. . . .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco.
2. Never kick a cow chip on a hot day.
3. There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works.
4. Never miss a good chance to shut up.
5. Always drink upstream from the herd.
6. If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
7. The quickest way to double your money is to fold it and put it back in your pocket.
8. There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
9. Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
10. If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.
11. Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back.
12. After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral:When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

ABOUT GROWING OLDER...

First ~ Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it.
Second ~ The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Third ~ Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Fourth ~ When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to youth, think of Algebra.
Fifth ~ You know you are getting old when everything either dries up or leaks.
Sixth ~ I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
Seventh ~ One of the many things no one tells you about ageing is that it is such a nice change from being young.
Eighth ~ One must wait until evening to see how splendid the day has been.
Ninth ~ Being young is beautiful, but being old is comfortable.
Tenth ~ Long ago when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks, it was called witchcraft. Today it's called golf.

And finally ~ If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you are old.

My personal Will Rogers favorite:

Its not what we don't know that can hurt us, its what we do know that aint so.

Karl:
yep, that one has been through quite a few iterations but the message it brings is still right on the mark.

Wendy:
You would think so but not too many guys have woken up to that yet ;)

I don't know what happened to my message.  When I went to post it, I got a message saying that it had already been posted, but I decided to post it again.  I did so, or at least tried to.  Then, I went to look for it, and sure enough there was a *partial* message there, so I deleted it.  Then I went back to the page where my completed message had been, ready to post it again, and it had disappeared!  Something definitely weird is going on here.

In any event, I strongly suggest that if you get a chance to see "The Will Rogers Follies," that you do so.  My late brother-in-law wrote the music and won both a Tony Award and a Drama Desk Award for it.  All in all it won five Tonys, including two for Tommy Tune for best choreography and best direction, and a Drama Desk Award for Tommy as well for Outstanding Choreography.

The show tells the story of Will's life, and it's very entertaining (especially if you like show girls in skimpy costumes).  It featured Keith Carridine as Will Rogers, and the recorded voice of Gregory Peck as Florenz Ziegfeld.

If you never go to musicals, you still can't get away from Cy's music.  It's everywhere.  For example, he wrote "Witchcraft" for Frank Sinatra and "The Best Is Yet To Come" for Tony Bennett.  Both Judy Garland and Nat King Cole said that Cy Coleman was their favorite composer.

Irv

Seen this one(in the quote) in someone's signature somewhere, just don't recall which forum.

3. There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works.

Laughed when I saw it.

Irv   I had an opportunity to read your message prior to the deletion and it was quite an article of accomplishments that would make any family proud.    Sorry it was deleted before others could have shared the article.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom