I just don't get it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquadave

Why do RVers use dollies and towbars? It's so hard on both vehicles tires and stability. A trailer is specially designed for pulling. RVers and UHaul renters are the only people I know and see that use towbars and dollies everybody else trailers their vehicles. what am I missing? 

Only assumptions on my part, but maybe cost of the trailer and finding a spot to park it when not using it. Probably more reasons, but just the first couple that came to mind.

That a trailer is more hassle than even a dolly?  Not the actual trailer towing, of course, but moving/storing and parking at many campsites. Also, that the weight of a trailer plus the vehicle would exceed the tow capacity of most gas-chassis coaches, whether Class C or A.

I also don't see that towbars and dollies are so hard on anything. Harder than an enclosed cat trailer, I'm sure, but not so terribly hard in absolute terms.

Gary beat me to it, but I'm not sure what there is to "get".

Many towed vehicles are designed to be flat towed, and many coaches are designed to tow such a vehicle.

I can't speak for owners/users of tow dollies, but we've observed numerous such owners struggle with the dolly on arrival at a campground. Folks who put their car (completely) in/on a trailer usually need to rent a second site to store the trailer.

The truth is that MOST motorhomes are designed to tow, some as much as 10,000# or more.  It is absolutely NOT hard on the RV unless you are overloaded, but that is a different issue.

RV folks like to have a car at their destination to use for local transportation.  They must take it along to travel.  Some cars can be "flat towed" with a tow bar, which causes absolutely no excess wear and tear on the car.  In fact, there would be MORE wear if the car were driven instead of towed.  Manufacturers in fact approve of flat towing on some vehicles.  ABSOLUTELY NO DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE other than tire wear.

Some cars can be flat towed IF an auxiliary part is added, like a transmission pump.  Again, this is approved by the manufacturers.
In both cases above, the warranty is not affected by flat towing, so it MUST be okay.

Flat towing is MUCH more convenient than trailer towing.  No need to load a car, tie down the car, hitch up the trailer, chains and wiring.  No need to find a place to store the trailer when camping.  You reduce the weight being towed by the weight of the trailer.  Flat towing is much preferred over trailer towing.

Some Front Wheel Drive cars can not be flat towed.  For these, it is often preferred to use a tow dolly over buying a different car!  Dollies can be used on most FWD cars, so trading cars requires no new equipment.  While flat towing is preferred, dolly towing is much preferred to trailer towing.  Cars are easier to load and secure.  The dolly is MUCH lighter than a full trailer.  Dollies are much easier to store when camping.  Again, for cars approved for dolly towing, it will not void your warranty.  It does not damage your vehicle.

Some vehicles can not be towed four down or dolly.  This is true of many AWD and RWD vehicles.  Note many 4WD can be flat towed.  These cars will need a full trailer.

I ran a non scientific survey last spring.  Of 20 RVs with a vehicle in tow, 15, or 75% were flat towed.4 or 20% were dolly towed.  ONLY 1 or 5% was on a trailer with 4 wheels up.  These folks put MANY miles on these cars each year.  If they were damaging the car in ANY way, they would not do it!

My question to you is why do I want all the extra weight and hassle when it is clearly not needed.  Where did this bad data come from?

Well, my Class C has a 3500 lb towing capacity. A trailer capable of holding a useful car would take up more than half that capacity, leaving my with a very tiny automobile, and all the hassles mentioned above to deal with.

And don't forget added hitch weight of a trailer on the GVW of the MH. Flat tow adds no hitch weight and a a dolly might add very little.

aquadave said:
Why do RVers use dollies and towbars? It's so hard on both vehicles tires and stability.

It is?  How so?  I dolly-towed cars several times with our first motorhome, and never experienced vehicle tire damage or loss of stability as a result.  Once accustomed to the loading/unloaded procedure, the dolly was fairly quick to utilize and could be easily stored (light enough to be moved by hand) underneath the rear end of my motorhome while camping.

aquadave said:
what am I missing?

Car haulers (trailers) do have some advantages, but generally result in additional cost, increased effort to use/maintain, lack of convenience, increased storage needs, and additional weight to be towed.

Any other questions?  ;)

Back
Top Bottom