Basement air rattling and grinding :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark.ogier

Hi
So I am still working on getting my electric Kwikee step working and then the basement air throws a curved ball at me!

First hot day since taking our 2006 Itasca Meridian 36G out of storage in November, so we click on the air con. And it sounds like someone down below is juggling bolts in a tin can. And it doesn't stop...

Anybody got any suggestions on what it may be and how to fix? I have read through a great step by step rebuild guide posted on the web and am thinking the motor bearings may be shot. Probably never lubricated. I also found the air filter under the flap beside the bed and that is caked up solid, so that hasn't been helping (we bought the coach earlier this year then put it in storage for 6 months so this is our first big usage).

Thanks for any all help.
Cheers
Mark

the fan cage has been known to cause that problem. A replacement fan cage (~$100) is made of plastic instead of metal eliminating that problem. either way the unit will have to come out. When you have it out you might as well replace the bearings with permanently lubed bearings regardless of them causing the problems or not.
I did this about 3 years ago.

here is the link for the removal of the basement actually and specifics about the bearings.
http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php

Hi
Thanks Harry and John for the quick response. I am aiming to start work on the air unit after Christmas. It is a bit difficult as I am on site in Tucson so no workshop facilities. I think I have all the tools I need but am a bit concerned about physically lifting the unit down/out from the coach. My Wife has a bad back so won't be able to help at all. May need to see if I can enlist some help

As for replacement parts, do you know any part for the air filter? I have googled for hours looking for the air filter but can't find any reference to it. Does anybody know what I need and where to get it? The old one has no useful markings on it, just the size, which I can measure anyway!

Part numbers for bearings, fan and motor are all in the document referenced above (thanks for the link Harry). That really is a great document.

Thanks
Mark

Contact Winnebago with your 5-digit coach number and they can help you with parts which parts you need.

Hi Pattywolfe
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have a particular number to contact Winnie on for that kind of information? I have called the main number on their web site and spent hours doing the Telephone Waltz from extension to extension with no joy.

And as for the 5 digit coach number, is that part of the VIN? Or am I missing something? Only had the coach a little while and don't recall seeing a 5 digit number?

Thanks
Mark

I ordered the squirrel cages directly from RVP (requires AC model number) and If I recall I used the source specified in Duner's article for the AC removal to order the bearings. I don't think you will be able to lift the AC unit out. it will require a jack of some sort like a transmission jack. I would guess that it weighs around a 100 lbs. perhaps even a bit more.

The AC unit has 2 separate fan motors. One for moving air inside the coach and one for condenser for cooling and heating. Try running only the fan without cooling. if it can do that without making noise it will mean the problem is with the outdoor condenser fan, which is usually the case. At least you can narrow the problem down some?

mark.ogier said:
.... Do you have a particular number to contact Winnie on for that kind of information?...
Look in our very informative thread at the top of this board called Winnebago and Chassis Resources, you want to talk to Owner Relations. You can also look up part numbers on the Winnie website.

The best way to deal with removing the basement AC unit is using a table cart like this one.

Harry B said:
Try running only the fan without cooling. if it can do that without making noise it will mean the problem is with the outdoor condenser fan, which is usually the case. At least you can narrow the problem down some?
Tried running with Fan set to On, Heat/Cool set to Off. Fans blow in coach with no noise! So must be the condenser fan. That's great advice thank you.

John Canfield said:
The best way to deal with removing the basement AC unit is using a table cart like this one.
That looks ideal but as I am on the road I don't want to buy one and have to carry it around in the coach after. I will see if maybe I can hire one from a local parts/tool shop. Thanks for the idea.

The best bet for pulling it out would be a couple of saw horses of the right height and a couple of 2x4s to slide it out on and then hold it to work on.

mark.ogier said:
As for replacement parts, do you know any part for the air filter? I have googled for hours looking for the air filter but can't find any reference to it. Does anybody know what I need and where to get it? The old one has no useful markings on it, just the size, which I can measure anyway!

See pages 4-11, 4-12 of the 2006 Meridian Operator Manual. A/C Filter Size: 14? x 20? x 1? (The air filter is a disposable woven fiberglass type, which cannot be cleaned and should be replaced when coated with dust.)

This is just a standard furnace / AC filter available from Home Depot, etc. 

cbeierl said:
This is just a standard furnace / AC filter available from Home Depot, etc.

Ah that's great. Didn't realise it was such an easy part. Things rarely are on this vehicle ? 
Thanks for the advice
Mark

The air filters aren't a real common size so you might have to check a couple of stores. Also, buy cheap replacements (seriously) and not the fancy HEPA filters, you need maximum air flow for the unit to operate to its capability.

John Canfield said:
The air filters aren't a real common size so you might have to check a couple of stores. Also, buy cheap replacements (seriously) and not the fancy HEPA filters, you need maximum air flow for the unit to operate to its capability.

The air filter on my Adventurer (under the bed) is a very standard 14x20 inch, same as my house HVAC uses. Buy them at Walmart or any hardware store.  I use the $5 ones and change a couple of times a season.

Bill N said:
The air filter on my Adventurer (under the bed) is a very standard 14x20 inch, same as my house HVAC uses. Buy them at Walmart or any hardware store.  I use the $5 ones and change a couple of times a season.
We change our filter every 4-6 weeks.

Oddly enough I've never found that size in a Lowe's or Home Depot. At our last house, the AC filter was a really oddball size and I never found them in a store, I would order a case at a time on-line.

John Canfield said:
I would order a case at a time on-line.

In case I can't find them in a store, do you recall where you got them on-line please? I have looked and not found anything. Must be looking for the wrong thing  :(

Thanks
Mark

Back
Top Bottom