Looking for new fifth wheel with ability to tow boat behind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wheyin

Hi, folks....

Can you help my husband and I with any new fifth wheel brands/models that have the ability to tow a boat behind it.  Our boat is a 2017 Alumacraft fishing boat 18.5' under 3,000 pounds.  We currently have a 2007 Cruiser which was modified with a hitch to pull a boat, and so far it has worked well.  We will have a 2017 2500 Duramax diesel, currently a 2007 Duramax 2500.  We are doing tons of research however, it appears our choices may be limited, as to third tow availability.  We would like to move up a notch or two in amenities.  We are doing a lot of research, looking for towability , and durability i.e. well built and reliable.  We will be going to an RV show in Denver the first week or January.  Can anyone provide any guidance as to which manufacturers to look at and models, your help would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance for your help.

If you haven't already done it yet,  is check and see if the states you plan on towing through, do they allow it. For many states, it's against the law.

Thank you Rene for getting back to me.  Apparently per regulations we have reviewed it is allowed in quite a few states if using a fifth wheel, with greater restrictions with a travel trailer pulling a boat, or other towable.  We have traveled through many states here in the southwest and west with the combination, of course, checking rules prior to going with no problem.  We pay attention to the length limits per state, and have never had a problem, we stay at 50 to 55 miles per hour and have a back up camera, and tire monitor to help.  Safety is a big issue for us, not only ourselves but fellow travelers, we always plan our route prior to leaving.  You are right, legalities are huge, thank you again your input is much appreciated.

Well, to be brutally honest with you, a 2500 is really going to be undersized.  With fifth wheels pulling is not usually an issue, but load carrying capacity sure is.  If you really want a fifth wheel, then step up to a 3500.
As for fivers capable of towing?  Not many will be.  Lippert has the corner on the frame market, and they likely would void any frame warrenty that had a hitch sufficiently heavy to pull a boat trailer.  Adding a truck, trailer, and boat is also likely going to really put a strain on overall length limits according to federal regs.  Its simply not a real practical idea in many parts of the country.

I agree on the 2500 not being enough truck because the trucks payload will be around 2300 lbs and 5er that's not a ultra light frame will be probably around 3000 pin loaded ready to camp pin weight with a dry pin weight of around 2500 lbs.  Mine had a dry pin of 2390 and loaded ready to camp pin of 3100 which is way over the ratings of a 2500 and close to 3500 SRW ratings.

Lippert does make a hitch for a 5er that can tow a boat but you will have to contact lippert and see what they recommend.  Here is the hitches.

https://store.lci1.com/products/storage-towing-and-security/bike-racks-receivers

I won't do it but I have seen others tow some bass boats and pontoon boats behind 5ers, just many things to go wrong.

Thank you Dickie125, and CWSWine your input and help is much appreciated.  Good point about the 3500, a really good point ...as did know consider that aspect, only towing capacity of the truck.  As I understand stepping up to the 3500 would not be much more expensive, so it is a point to consider.  Never thought about the Lippert issue with the frame of the fifth wheel, it will be interesting as we will be attending an RV show early January.  You both made very good points, and has both my husband and myself rethinking some critical issues.  Again, thank you for both your time and input.

Prior to going to the show, do your homework. Do not listen to a thing the salesmen tell you. They will tell you what ever you want to here. Also, do not bring any cash or your credit card. If you're bound and determined to buy new, find the one you want then go home and sit on it. You'll be able to get the same deal after the show.

Ask Northwood Mfg (Arctic Fox, Fox Mountain and others) whether they allow trailer towing behind their 5th wheels.

Northwood makes their own frames and they're known for being more rugged than a normal 5th wheel.

This was provided by Camping World back in 2011. It may not be totally up to date:

http://www.woodalls.com/articledetails.aspx?articleID=2799181

Grand Design fivers have a receiver hitch on the back. You may want to check their website or brochures to find the weight rating.

First, Welcome to the Forum!

Forget all about that 2500.  It is NOT enough truck for what you want to do.  A 3500 SRW is less than $1000 more money, but will have an extra 1000# or more of payload, which you will need!

There are many states that do not allow double tows, and many that do.  Generally, west and northwest states allow double tow.  Northeast and southern states do not.  Check each state you wish to travel through.

Likewise, states have different laws about overall length.  Most are around 65 feet total.  This can become a real big issue!  22 ft truck + 30ft FW - 4ft FW overhang leaves 17ft for boat and trailer.  Remember a 17ft boat will have a few feet of tongue length in front of the boat.

The concerns about the FW ability to tow 3,000# is also very real.

You must also be careful about your truck GCWR.

Is it possible?  Yes, in some areas.  Is it easy to just grab any truck, camper and boat and be legal?  NO WAY!

My son has a 2016 2500 Duramax, what you are considering would be over the payload for it. You need a 3500.

All very good information, and excellent points made. So much to consider, and did laugh about leaving cash, credit card at home when going to the RV show.....you are right, in the heat of the moment...better to walk away and consider.  Interesting about payload vs tow weight pulled, will be thinking pretty heavily about that...very in fact.  Your suggestions and fill in the gap for us information is very helpful, thanking all of you for your time and help.

Interesting about payload vs tow weight pulled, will be thinking pretty heavily about that...very in fact.  Your suggestions and fill in the gap for us information is very helpful, thanking all of you for your time and help.
  The 2500 GM Dmax truck is the same as a 3500 SRW Dmax with exceptions being the 3500 SRW has a bit heavier rear suspension at 7050 rawr vs 6200 rawr .

We have no idea home much your new trailer will weigh so here is a estimate for comparing how much load each truck can safely carry/stop. The 2500 may or may not do the job. depending on how much weight your carrying.

The 2500 with its 6200 rawr is limited to around 3000 lb payload for loads in the bed.

The 3500 SRW has a 7050 rawr for around 3800 lb payload in the bed.

The 3500 DRW has those big 9375 rawr for over 6k lb payload in the bed.

All three trucks use the same AAM 11.5" rear axle ....difference is rear spring packs and different tire/wheel options.

Thank you LongHaul very good information, good visual for comparison of payload.  The information folks on this site have sent is very nice, restores some faith in humanity that folks take time out of their day to respond....so glad to have joined this site.

Thank you again, CWSWine.....this is very helpful, very.  It definitely provides a better understanding and will assist in purchase of new truck, it is always good not to go in blind and I will leave cash, and such at home and walk away if need be...sometimes hard to do, when the trucks are so shiny and new...smiles...take care.

In  my opinion, you should NEVER buy a camper or truck or car unless or until you know more about the vehicle than the salesman.  You are well on your way to accomplishing this!

Right you are, Grashley, my husband and I spend a long time researching any big cost items.  The assistance from all of you in this forum has been very helpful indeed, makes you think around corners you may not have seen or considered.  Sometimes, seeing the forest for the trees is a little tricky, and you can tend to get stuck on one thing et. getting in a rut so to speak.  This forum helps you to snap out of it!!!  :)  Thank you for your help it is appreciated.... :)  :) :)

my husband and I spend a long time researching any big cost items. 

You may already looked at GM online ordering guide website ........ http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/ .
  It has a weight calculator that give gvwr and gawr payloads for each configured truck including options added.
Play around with it .... eliminates guessing/estimating.
Open all the clickys for lots of tech info about the truck.

For some reason the weight calculator doesn't work for the current year so you will have to use 2016 year model.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom