Denver-Augusta, GA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Milton R Scherotter

In April 2017, planning cross country to Augusta, GA and coastal North Carolina.  We are trying to limit the trip to 400 miles per day to allow for driving only during the day and getting set up before dark.  By my calculations first day would be a stop about Salina, KS, Day 2 just east of St. Louis, Day 3 before Chattanooga.  Coastal NC means Wilmington.

Any suggestions on places to overnight? Different route? Things to see?  We are under no time constraints.  Arriving before dark preferred but not mandatory.  Thanks for any ideas.

See signature for rig type.

I would start with suggesting a stop West of St Louis. Columbia area, maybe. Then look for third night around Nashville, TN, or perhaps, check out Land Between the Lakes, East of Paducah, KY.

An interesting little tourist stop on the way east - Near Swee****er, Tennessee you'll find "The Lost Sea" A pleasant stop worth a few hours of your time. It's actually about halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville, off I-75. A bit off the path if you're planning to go from Chattanooga down through Atlanta to Augusta, but worth the time.
Compared to the tourist stuff in Chattanooga, or Sevierville, it is really quiet and pleasant.

As for campgrounds, Chapman Creek Campground is about an hour East of Salina, KS. They are friendly and easy to get in and out of.

Wilson Reservoir State Park is before Salina and claims to be the cleanest lake in Kansas, and there is a KOA campground in Salina.  Abilene is about 26 miles east of Salina, and the Four Seasons RV acres is a nice place.  It is a campground and RV dealership which is handy in case you need anything for your rig.  The Brookville Hotel (it is really a restaurant) Abilene serves a great all you can eat family style chicken meal! The Eisenhower museum and the Sealy Mansion are two great places to tour.

Back
Top Bottom