Tire/Wheel choices for TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5thcrank

My truck came with 16 inch rims and 235/85 tires.  The rims were rusted and the tires were gone.  I was able to procure a set of 265/70-17 wheels and tires at a bargain so I stuck them on until I made a permanent decision.

I am not a fan of low profile wide tires and would like to go back to the 235/85-16 profile.  But I haven't towed with this truck yet.  Some people tell me the 265/70-17 is better for a TV due to reduced sidewall flex.  But my tire dealer tells me this tire profile is better suited to SUV applications, not the best for pulling a 5th wheel. 

The dealer says the rims are a little too wide for 245/75-17 which would have been a good compromise.

Anybody have experience with both ends of the spectrum?

This is just a guess, but unless you have factory installed size tires Installed you trick won't meet the load specs.

JFN makes a good point.  If you plan to haul or tow ANYTHING, make sure the tires can carry the load.  You did not say what the truck was, but make sure the LOAD RATING on the tire sidewall X 4 tires is greater than the truck GVWR.  This should be on a label on the driver door.  This label should also show the factory installed tire size.

Too any unknowns here. Changing wheel size and tire size almost surely alters the effective gear ratio because the overall tire/wheel diameter changes. Plus the load capacity question that others raised.  Furthermore info on the size (width) tires the new wheels are capable of handling, so not sure if larger or smaller is an OK thing.

Tinkering with tire & wheel sizes without solid knowledge of the various parameters and their overall effects on capacity, gearing, and towing is plumb dangerous [in my opinion].

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom