Finding ASUS video driver(s)? (a little long, sorry)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herekittykitty

In need of some serious geekdom here: I use my ancient Asus laptop as my "TV" - It's hooked via HDMI cable to my rig's TV and I download or stream everything I watch.

It's slow as molasses now, so that is its only function.

It started out new with Win 7 and I've kept up with OS updates so as not to lose touch with any updates for software I use. It's been running on 10 since 10 became available to legacy users, but the big update on/about Dec 19th "broke" my video: After it was done updating I had nothing but a black screen.

After researching this, I was able to force Windows to roll back to the previous version by doing a hard reset 3 times, so now I have video again, but the recommendation was to update one's video drivers.

There was another Win 10 update after that and still all is well with my video, but I would really like to find the latest driver(s) for my video card, even if I don't install them now. Asus support "is not allowed to" give me any info about my video card, which I could use to find updated drivers for it.

Sorry for the whole story - I guess my short question would be: Where do I/Can I muck about in my system to find out what video card is installed?

Am leaving this here in case anyone else is following (or has better advice), but I got as much as I could through device manager, including the notice "\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_1BE21043&REV_18\3&11583659&1&10 requires further installation."

It's an Intel chipset but according to this web page https://communities.intel.com/thread/100012, I likely would have to go back to Asus, as the driver might be proprietary to them.

And they would tell me my drivers were up to date (and to just get a new computer, probably).

I suggest you install this (temporarily) and let it sort out your missing drivers.  http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_driver_booster.html.  Once you're done with it uninstall or it will nag you forever.

If that doesn't work try 'Unknown Device Itentifier'.

FYI: ASUS does not manufacture video chips, they package them into laptops and video cards and so on.  So once you know what chipset the video uses finding drivers is fairly easy.

Thanks, 8Muddy.

I know Asus doesn't make chipsets; my point was that they likely wrote the drivers for the Intel one they used in my machine. Spent 20 minutes on the phone with them (which is when they told me they "can't tell me" about the chipset).

I will try the Iobit driver booster - I love their uninstaller. (And will end up using their own uninstaller to uninstall their driver booster!  ;D )

ASUS, HP, Lenovo and all the rest use 'off the shelf' parts as much as possible.  Off the shelf parts come with off the shelf drivers and they (ASUS, HP Etc.) simply wrap them in an installer package with their logos on the splash screen.

Part of my current 'job' is finding appropriate drivers for donated and rescued computers.  I've installed a few.  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom