Bicycle shopping shock !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T

TonyDtorch

I went shopping for a new "nice" bicycle      WOW !  I was shocked,    I see this really nice high end mountain bike for sale at ... $ 6,499.00 !!

I guess I am really out of touch with things,  I was going to spend 3-4 hundred and get me a nice bike.

heck,  $6500 will buy you a decent motorcycle..

I have a friend that spent almost $7k on a bike.  He does triathalons and I guess lightweight is "king" when it comes to doing triathlons.......and you're right, I've bought motorcycles for less than that.

We can buy a half decent bicycle in the UK for around $300. We were amazed at how expensive they were in the US and not particularly good. Really disappointin.  The OH managed to get one in a sale but it was still $500. They had masks on in the shop  ::)

Yes bicycles can get very pricey, in fact there are bikes costing double what you saw.  Having said that, don't be deterred, unless you are racing or doing a lot of long distance riding with mountains involved, you need not spend anywhere near those prices.  Consider how you will be using the bike and how often.  If the answer is infrequently and short distances you can get a good bike that will serve your needs, at a bike shop in the $500 to $700.00 range.  If on the other hand you are a regular rider covering longer distances and desire a tad more performance and function you are looking at $1 to 2K.  No need for the average recreational rider to spend more.  The difference between the high end, high dollar bikes and the lower end of the spectrum in simple terms is the difference between a Ferrari and a basic sedan.  Also do not be swayed by all the advertisements associated with branding, as there is so much marketing hype involved in bicycles.  The reality is with the exception of a few, all the frames are made in Asia and the difference is the components that are hung on the bike.  So find the bike not only in your price range, but you are comfortable on.

I have been investigating getting a mountain bike for doing some trail riding to help get back in shape. Here's a site that kinda stick in my mind when looking for a bike:

http://www.mountainbikesapart.com/what-mountain-bike/best-mountain-bike-for-your-level/

I don't know what level rider you are Tony, but needless to say, I'm pretty much a beginner and won't be doing downhills and really rough trails for a while, if ever, so a hardtail bike, preferably with 33mm tires (it's generally muddy where I'd be riding) would do me fine. I'm also not the kind of person that buys super high dollar items to try to impress people I really don't like. Gizmo gave some good advice to anyone starting to bike.

TonyDtorch said:
I went shopping for a new "nice" bicycle      WOW !  I was shocked,    I see this really nice high end mountain bike for sale at ... $ 6,499.00 !!

I guess I am really out of touch with things,  I was going to spend 3-4 hundred and get me a nice bike.

heck,  $6500 will buy you a decent motorcycle..

That is more than I paid for the one and only NEW CAR I ever owned (A 1977 AMC Hornet Hatchback) IN fact if I recall correctly. that would have paid for 2 of 'em.

I get sticker shock replacing the tires on my Bicycle.

John From Detroit said:
That is more than I paid for the one and only NEW CAR I ever owned

Exactly the reason I have NEVER bought a new car! Many items have come to the point that their purchase is just not worth it. Unless you have disposable cash.
I don't. I refuse to spend over a couple hundred bucks for a new bike. For the same reason I refuse to spend $25K for a 4 year old pickup truck with just under 100K miles! It's just not worth it. I refuse to throw my hard earned money out the window.

Keep shopping. 

On second thought, maybe we'll keep our old Costco bikes.  Bought them more than 15 years ago for about $300 each.  They're full suspension 21 speed bikes.  Only real downside is weight.    They're heavy and, as is typical with Costco anything, don't come in multiple sizes.  So mines a tad short and the wife's is too tall. 

When mine was stolen in a campground, I could not see paying big $$$ for one to haul on the back of the car mile after mile.  I found a good condition Trek in a Pawn shop for under $200.  It was in a college town and no it was not "hot".

Go to walmart.  Bought a decent full suspension bike with dual disc brakes for less than 500.  But that was a few years ago, so they might be a bit more now.

Not for me....I'm an electric Beach Cruiser kinda guy and lov'in it !..

actually I'm buying it for my son, he is back in school, now that I'm retired,  he flips me $500 and asked me to find him a "cool bike" to run around on, even used if nothing else.

From what I see... 'cool'  starts at around $500,    He's a good kid so I wanted to get him something on the Nice side of Cool.

I'm probably looking at a $700+ deal out the door.  he wanted a 'Hybrid' bike,  .. quality done simple, no suspension,  but discs. ...(I don't know why)

so Bike Guys .....really ...Santa Cruze  ..  Suri ? .....  People say DiamondBack is Chinese ?    what about Specialized..?

American made counts with me.

Tony,
It's nice that you're wiling to shop for him. If he can't go with you make sure you have his height and inseam numbers.
All of those brands mentioned are good. Except the challenge is they're like cars; each brand will have low end through higher end frames and components.
Target, Walmart, Costco are selling more quality name brand stuff, with some exceptions (such as Magna- pure junk)  The problem is they're assembled by store personnel who often have no clue what they're doing. The next time you're in a big box store, engage the front brake and rock the bike. On the cheap crap you'll see a good inch of play on the calipers. A good local bike shop is your best bet.
You said he's back at school. Will this be a campus bike? If so, new shiny and "cool" may not be the best option. You can get a good solid frame with quality components for a few hundred dollars that will be under the theft radar. Bike weight isn't an issue since he wil need to carry a good solid lock anyway.
IMHO disc brakes are usually unnecessary unless you're doing downhill or getting all mucked up off-road. They're difficult to work on by the casual rider. But that's part of the epic "bike hype" seen in advertising.

he wants to be able to use it in town and in the hills around there., because of Uber he sees no need for a car.

He and I owned a motorcycle shop together,  so he knows his way around 2 wheel vehicles.

He is single, semi-successful, in his early 30's (and even good looking) and...he's also very responsible about a valuable expenditures.....(  rather unlike his father  :eek:. )

(hmm...now I'm wondering about the year I spent in Kuwait some 30 years ago.. ;) )

and he told me to get him a " GOOD" lock. , and , Yes I have his measurements.

his plan was for me to pick up something Nice,  but used for around 5 bills..  I though new would be easier....but not cheaper.

TonyDtorch said:
Not for me....I'm an electric Beach Cruiser kinda guy and lov'in it !..

actually I'm buying it for my son, he is back in school, now that I'm retired,  he flips me $500 and asked me to find him a "cool bike" to run around on, even used if nothing else.

From what I see... 'cool'  starts at around $500,    He's a good kid so I wanted to get him something on the Nice side of Cool.

I'm probably looking at a $700+ deal out the door.  he wanted a 'Hybrid' bike,  .. quality done simple, no suspension,  but discs. ...(I don't know why)

so Bike Guys .....really ...Santa Cruze  ..  Suri ? .....  People say DiamondBack is Chinese ?    what about Specialized..?

As I mentioned in my earlier reply, brand means little when it comes to bikes as all the frames, save a couple are made in the same factories in Asia. So essentially most of the frames including the one's you mentioned "are made in China.  These companies then hang the various components on them at different price points.  What does matter is fit and comfort and as such your son should really go with you and not only sit on, but ride each of the bikes.  Likely one will stand out as "the one" or at least come close, from which a change in components can help. 

I work part-time in a bike shop selling bikes and my advice to customers (and friends) who ask how much they should spend on a bike is:

1. Estimate how many miles a year you are going to ride it and look to spend $1-2 per mile on a new bike. E.g. 1000 miles per year (which is a lot) justifies spending $1000-2000 (retail, bike shop pricing).

2. If you are not sure how much you will ride (or where you will ride), start with a "hybrid" (flat bar, medium all-road tires) in the $400-750 range. This is a sweet spot for components...decent quality and performance. When you figure out what you really want/use this makes a nice backup bike (its not money wasted if you decide to buy that $6500 MTB or do triathalons later).

3. Will it always be stored securely? If not, ignore #1 and buy something assuming it will be stolen and/or stripped so: spend what you are prepared to lose; buy basic no-name bikes (e.g. single speed) that have less cash value.

4. Will/can you do your own maintenance? This is not just a question about your technical ability...bike repair requires lots of specialized tools (e.g. I've got $300+ worth to maintain my families 7 bikes). If you can maintain your own bike, then this lets you  save money by buying: used (high risk unless you know how to assess the state of a bike); from big box stores (e.g. Walmart) whose pricing is good but you can't guarantee they were built properly in the first place; and online (e.g. Bikes Direct) who are pretty good builders but the bike will need assembly/tuning. Having to take it to a bike shop will be expensive (and embarrassing).

TonyDtorch said:

Hybrids are a good choice and the price range is about right (see my other post). Disk brakes are superior and they are no longer an expensive option.

Don't get hung up on the country of manufacture...you'd be hard pressed to find a bike where 25% of the value is made in the US (and in your price range it could be 0%). This is the reality of the bicycle industry...if a part doesn't say "Made in the USA" (or Italy, etc.) it was made in Asia (it probably has been designed by Americans like a lot of Specialized products). There's nothing wrong with the quality of components coming out of say Taiwan where they have the "Silicon Valley" of bike manufacturers (e.g. over 50% of bike saddles come from a single factory in Taiwan). The final assembly will be local and that is the important part.

Don't get hung up on brands either. In your price range the company is responsible for the frame and specc'ing the (assume Asian) components. You'd be hard pressed to differentiate between frames (heck even the pro's bike frames are pretty well equal). The biggest difference will be the material they use: Surly (Suri) and a few others will be steel, most will be Aluminum, and some will be carbon fiber (although I personally wouldn't trust one in that price range). If you want a US made frame, then steel is likely your only option.

Where are you located?  Because I have a city bike sitting in the shed.  Bought if for the wife a few years ago and she hasmridden maybe 5 miles on it.  Few scratches from carrying carrying on the back of our RV.

Guy's are y'all kidding? 7k? We're talking BICYCLES here. I got a perfectly fine Specialized road bike hanging in my garage that my son gave me for Christmas one year, he paid just a tad over $300.00 and I thought Billy the Kid was involved in that sale... I could beat on that critter for the next 20 years and couldn't break it! But then at 70 how much beating can I give it?  ???

(shaking my head at the dumb stuff people do today and what they pay to do it!)  ::)

Keith

I've always tried to stay in shape.  When my back no longer allowed me to run I switched to bicycling as its zero impact. Soon to be 65 and I ride about 3k miles a year. My retirement gift to myself a year back was a $2500 carbon fiber bike that I'll ride for 10 years. It is sweet and gets me up and over most anything up here in the Adirondacks and Green Mountains. My doctor is happy.

Shortly after buying the bike a neighbor got to talking to me and couldn't believe  the price. I looked around his yard at an ATV, 2 snowmobiles, and  fishing boat with lots of gear.  He hunts a lot and that can get costly as well. So, he's got more invested in his hobbies then me.  You can say the same about most any hobby be it motorcycles, golf, fishing, sailing, skiing, going to gym's  and on and on. At $250 per year my bike is cheap and keeps me healthy. I do have a cheaper steel bike that I take camping and it gets me out of the campground every morning and lets me get to know new areas.  Like anything, its only expensive if you bought it and don't use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom