Bicycle shopping shock !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You'r posting this on a forum where members regularly pay $5 to 20,000 a year and more on the lifestyle, hobby if you will, when you take into consideration upkeep, depreciation and maintenance of these big toys.  I got a great deal on mine and easily have spent more than $10,000 on tires, shocks, repairs etc., in just over two years.  When I move up, I'll expect to pay $10,000 annually for the joy of bouncing down the highway.  And the amount of exercise I get fixing things pales by comparison to riding a bike 3000 miles a year.  Keep on riding.  The health benefits will pay huge dividends after 10 years.  Fixing and repairing my motorhome will lighten my wallet reducing my carpet tunnel every time I reach in my back pocket for to get a credit card.  ;) 

Bicycles - the investment that pays you back in health care costs....
I have a racing bike, a mountain bike, a touring bike, a fat tire bike and a commuting bike. All get used regularly.
My son is even more avid than I am. I'm proud to say I got him into this sport.
He's paid more for his bicycles than his car. (The car is rarely used).
This AM it was 11 below. He commutes by bicycle to work every day regardless of weather.
Very comfortable if you've got the gear and you know what you're doing. Here he is in his "below zero" gear..

Attachments

• mikecommute.jpg
    mikecommute.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 27
Bought my current mountain bike back in 1992. A Specialized Stumpjumper, which cost around $1,200 back then.  Raced it for a few years, did some wild downhill rides out west, fully packed it and did some extended back country camping on it, and now still ride it for recreation and exercise.

Last Spring I was at an an auction for a closed bike shop and on a whim bid on and got a new high end Raleigh folding bicycle they had on display.  Thought it would be great since it folds up without tools and will fit in a compartment. Low and behold we decided this year to buy a larger trailer for hauling both Harleys and it has plenty of room for both our mountain bikes and other outdoor gear. The folding bike would be great if we were in Florida or spent most of our time in RV parks but we don't. I'll never give up my trusty Stumpjumper. Probably wait till Spring and sell the folder on Craig's List as I don't think we'll have a need for it now. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Wife and I have Walmart heavy steel 7 speed beach cruisers which cost about $150.  Then we added electric motors and batteries for $400 per bike.  We can easily ride 10 miles and never pedal, or pedal all we want.  We have been doing this for over 5 years.  We use the bikes to go sight seeing, shopping and out to dinner.  The bikes are quiet, street legal, and actually very few people realize they are electric bikes.   

I tried to attach photos but the files were all too large.   

Like most things, if you want to pay someone will sell.  Every bike shop I have been in have bikes from a few hundred dollars for the casual rider to many thousands for those looking to shave 0.05 seconds of their time trials.  As casual riders who sometimes want to leave a bike at a store or trail-head unattended we have gone cheap end so we don't worry about them.

Not me:
https://financesonline.com/the-worlds-10-most-expensive-bikes-cycling-with-style/

Maybe more my style:
http://www.the-house.com/buy-cheap-bmx-bikes.html

billmac said:
Wife and I have Walmart heavy steel 7 speed beach cruisers which cost about $150.  Then we added electric motors and batteries for $400 per bike. 

@billmac - which electric motors and batteries did you add?  I was so enamored with some of the photos people posted, but just about spit up my coffee when I looked at the Day 6 electric bike prices  :eek:

garyb1st said:
Now I can understand why the wealthy need a tax break.  They spend BIGLY.

The tax % you have pay is not like a  "red line in the sand"  ...  you can always send them more if you want.

bghouse said:
@billmac - which electric motors and batteries did you add?  I was so enamored with some of the photos people posted, but just about spit up my coffee when I looked at the Day 6 electric bike prices  :eek:
I've built 3, the latest one is a 48 volt 1000 watt motor, on a $100 Walmart beach cruiser bike.  I love it. the Front wheel drive is easier,  but rear wheel drive is much safer for trail riding.

these 48 volt E-bike  kits on Ebay sell for about $225 without batteries.  instead of the expensive ($6-800)  L/I batteries... you can get 4 AGM 12 volt batteries from Home Depot for about $120. they are heavier but work just fine. I can ride for about an hour,  the more you pedal the more time you get.  and top speed of about 20mph.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom