Texas RV parks near Galveston or farther south

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockdrfla

Looking to stay in Texas from mid Jan to April. Was thinking about Galveston area or a little farther south.  Anyone familiar with that area and could recommend a RV park. Thanks

There are two nice campgrounds at Padre Island National Seashore. Malaquite Beach is a normal campground and then a bit further south is Malaquite Beach that is free. Just parking right on the beach. Very cool. Just don't park too close to the water or when you exit the RV in the morning you might be up to your ankles in water when the tide comes in in the middle of the night.

I recommend looking a bit farther south, at least the Rockport/Corpus area.    The January-February weather is better and the parks are more geared to winter stays.

Wilderness Oaks at Rockport is an older park, but we liked it there.  However, there are lots of good places to stay in the area.

If you stay along the eastern shore of Texas you better really like the wind as it will be around most of the time.  We stay down in McAllen and although the wind isn't totally gone, it is a LOT better than along the coast. The fog lately has been bad also and the salt spray will eat your equipment up if you are along the beach. We are at Lakeside RV Park in Port Lavaca right now,,, a very nice park, but I wouldn't want to spend the winter here for sure.

Have looked at some parks online in the Palacios and Aransas  Pass area.  Never thought about the salt spray.  Thanks for mentioning it. 

clockdrfla said:
Looking to stay in Texas from mid Jan to April. Was thinking about Galveston area or a little farther south.  Anyone familiar with that area and could recommend a RV park. Thanks
Have you looked at http://www.rvparkreviews.com/?  This is the first and usually the only place I go to to look for info on commercial RV Parks. 

clockdrfla said:
You have gotten several good responses so far. Let me offer a couple of ideas and places. First I would spend some time in different areas before making any decision on a long term place. With so much to see and do in south Texas you could end your last stay just in time to head back home.
The Galveston area is a great area is a great place to start. I spent October 2015 on the gulf coast. I would stay at Galveston Island State park as a base to look the immediate area over.
Galveston Island State Park, 14901 Farm to Market 3005, Galveston, TX 77554
tpwd.state.tx.us, (409) 737-1222.
If you can't get into the park try.
Dellanera RV Park, 10901 Termini-San Luis Pass Rd, Galveston, TX 77554
galveston.com, (409) 797-5102. I have stayed at both places, Dellanera is closer to town but more expensive than the state park.
Further south in Rockport look at this place.
Lagoons RV Resort, 600 Enterprise Blvd, Rockport, TX 78382, lagoonsrv.com, (361) 729-7834.
Look around there are many RV parks in the area.
Just south of Rockport is Mustang Island State Park.
Just be aware if you go camping on North Padre Island it is fairly remote and you can't get to South Padre without going back north to the bridge and driving down the coast to the southern end of South Padre that's about a 200 mile trip. There is a ship canal through the island and no bridge. On South Padre look at Isla Blanca Park, 33174 State Park Rd 100, South Padre Island, TX 78597, cameroncountyparks.com, (956) 761-5494.
I generally think of McAllen as the heart of the Valley. There are maney parks in the area catering to Snow Birds.
I have stayed at  Texas Trails RV Resort, 501 W Owassa Rd, Pharr, TX 78577, texastrailsrv.com, (956) 782-7886. I was only there for a week attending a rally but it was a nice park with a lot of amenities.
I would also spend some time in San Antonio and the Texas Hill Country. I have more info on that area if you are interested.
Bill 

The area just north of Galveston along the upper Texas coast has been wiped out by hurricanes repeatedly between 2005-2010, so nearly all structures in this region are new construction and it may be worth checking out for possible new RV parks.  It has been almost 2 years since I drove down the coastal highway between High Island and Galveston when I was last there construction was booming around the Crystal beach area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom