Advice on repairs to Nikon D80 camera.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mark, excellent idea.  Didn't think of that. 

With regard all the comments about the "photographer".  That's why my wife has all the camera's and not me.  :-[   

Larry N. said:
I have to disagree, Tom, and it has nothing to do with "have a large financial investment into expensive camera set ups" though I did just replace my Nikon D90 with a Nikon D7100.
You just proved my point. You just spent $1000 on dying technology so you are trying to justify your expense.

Granted that DSLRs are not for everyone, but then neither are cell phone cameras, especially if you don't have a top end i7 or Galaxy 7 or whatever.
You no longer need the top of the line camera to get great shots. I have been using a $300 LG G4 for the last year. Currently it sells for less than that. There are dozens of cell phones that are on par with a DSLR. Check out my photos from 2016 in the link below.
I find cell phones hard to hold steady and awkward to use, neither of which helps get good pix. When not in bright sunlight, or when I want to zoom in on something (NOT digital zoom), a cell phone just doesn't hack it. I'm one of those who does NOT have a cell phone with me all the time. I despise looking at a screen held in front of my face at a distance in one or both hands and that is washed out by the sun so that I can't tell what's in the picture.
Yep that was the case four years ago, but all those problems have been solved. Many cell phones now have image stabilization built in and very bright viewfinders. Personally I prefer to judge the quality of my photographs on a 5 inch screen instead of a tiny little 3/4" viewfinder.
All the above isn't to say that you can't get many good pictures with the better cell phone cameras, because of course you can. And I occasionally do a little of that. But it doesn't replace a dedicated camera any more than (for me at least) it replaces a dedicated GPS or a dedicated computer or...
It most certainly can replace a dedicated camera, GPS or a computer. Just ask any teenager.
I'll stop here, but I suggest that you modify your statements to apply to you and others with your mindset, but not to everyone, as your statements would indicate.
No I will not modify my statements, instead I will double down. I am not saying that everyone today should switch to using a cell phone camera. What I am saying is that in five years DSLRs will only be sold on eBay at dirt cheap prices. 2010 was the glory year for DSLR sales. In 2015 DSLR sales was 1/3 of the 2010 figures. There does not seem to be any reason why this trend will reverse any time soon. Cell phone cameras are only improving by leaps and bounds every year and DSLRs haven't seen a real improvement in many years.  And in a few short years cell phone cameras will have awesome analogue zoom lenses that will compete with any DSLR.

https://www.cinema5d.com/dslr-mirrorless-camera-market-shrinking-rapidly/

http://petapixel.com/2014/12/15/chart-shows-badly-digital-camera-sales-getting-hammered-smartphones/

Every single camera ever made has restrictions on what you can and cannot photograph. There is no DSLR made that can get every shot on every occasion unless you want to carry around a backpack full of thousands of dollars worth of lenses and you have the time to find and change the lens. Having a camera in your pocket that can work well 98% of the time is a lot cheaper and more convenient and that is why DSLRs are dinosaurs. Yes some of you are still using them today but you won't be for long. I also find it interesting that the people who brag about spending so much money on their cameras never post any photos. Oh I know their excuse, they don't want anyone stealing their photos. But from what I have seen most of these people are so poor at photography no one would want to steal them. The most important thing is not taking photos but bragging about the price of their equipment.

Gary, I don't think your camera is worth repairing. In fact, your dealer is trying to rip you off as concerns the firmware update. I doubt there's been a new firmware update on your camera in the past six or seven years, and even if there was, they are designed to be downloaded by the user from the web for free. Bottom line, if you want to stay with the system, I would suggest buying a "new" used camera from KEH or go to a newer dslr from B&H Photo.

As for your cell phone working just as well as a dslr, that kind of depends on what type of photography you are doing and what type of display you are looking for. For instance, I would not recommend making a 30x40 inch wall hanging from a cell phone, or a 16x20, or 11x14. Perhaps an 8x10 would work, but that really depends on your cell phone. On the other hand, if all you want to do is put thing on the web, then the cell phone will work very well--as Tom says, the camera with you is the one you will use.

Just for information, I'm a professional photojournalist (mostly retired now) and I have other professional friends who still use film cameras (mostly art or portraits) and I have a professional friend who actually used a cell phone to photograph the Super Bowl a couple of years ago. The point is, use the camera that makes you happy in your photography. If you want to use a cell phone, fine, film camera, also fine, the latest and greatest dslr that just cost you $6500 for body only, also fine, just be aware of their limitations.

Really, the amount of money you spend on a camera has no bearing on it's usefulness to you. Anyone telling you that buying a $2000 camera is stupid doesn't really know what he's talking about. I would say that in his case the purchase would be stupid. But if you want what the $2k camera offers and are willing to pay for it, who's to say it's a dumb purchase. In my case, buying a $150k Class A coach would be dumb, that certainly doesn't make the purchase of one dumb for anyone.

My DSLR work cameras take a beating.  I've sent them to Nikon for cleaning, firmware updates, and repairs.  It's been worth it to us.  A couple hundred dollars to ensure they're working properly when we need them.  Lots of corroded parts, wet, gunky, etc.  Nikon has kept them working well. 

SeilerBird said:
There is no DSLR made that can get every shot on every occasion unless you want to carry around a backpack full of thousands of dollars worth of lenses and you have the time to find and change the lens. Having a camera in your pocket that can work well 98% of the time is a lot cheaper and more convenient and that is why DSLRs are dinosaurs. Yes some of you are still using them today but you won't be for long.
I agree that photography's norms and the way it's used are changing.

I even agree that most photos will be taken by phones going forward.

But that is a really, really, really low bar to hop over.

Try getting the attached wedding party shot from 100 yards with a cell phone or getting the attached candid portrait of mom and babe at 20' or isolating the subject as in the other or ...

DSLR's are far from dead, I do and will carry around that big bag for the foreseeable future.

Attachments

• AUT_0838.jpg
    AUT_0838.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 21
  • AUT_0851.jpg
    AUT_0851.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 20
  • AUT_0900.jpg
    AUT_0900.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 18
SeilerBird said:
Personally I prefer to judge the quality of my photographs on a 5 inch screen instead of a tiny little 3/4" viewfinder.

I personally prefer to judge the quality of my work by a 16 x 20 or larger wall portrait.

markbarendt said:
I agree that photography's norms and the way it's used are changing.

I even agree that most photos will be taken by phones going forward.

But that is a really, really, really low bar to hop over.

Try getting the attached wedding party shot from 100 yards with a cell phone or getting the attached candid portrait of mom and babe at 20' or isolating the subject as in the other or ...

DSLR's are far from dead, I do and will carry around that big bag for the foreseeable future.

x2

Nice shots. 

Tom,

I'd love to see your portfolio, but the link you give doesn't work, I get an internal error alert. Any other way to access the portfolio?

henkelphoto said:
Tom,

I'd love to see your portfolio, but the link you give doesn't work, I get an internal error alert. Any other way to access the portfolio?
Thanks for the heads up. I really hate the fact that Google eliminated Picasa and replaced it with a really lame Photos. Here is a link that should work.

https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

RoyM said:
Can you guys agree to disagree and let it go?

Roy, please note that Tom is always the antagonist/contrarian in these discussions.  I suggest that Tom leave the DSLR users and their discussions alone.  I think that is a fair resolution.  Don't you agree?

I am not taking sides, I'm just asking both of you to back off and try to be civil in spite of your differences. You are both very accomplished photographers judging from what we have seen here and have every right to be proud of your work. This is a very good forum with a wide variety of experiences and opinions which is healthy, let's not ruin it by senseless bickering. I'll shut up now and not return to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom