Setting up upon arrival at your destination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we arrive at a new site, I do the basic leveling and running out the slide while my wife starts on the bathroom and kitchen setup. When I head outside to do the power hookup and satellite dish setup, she handles getting the computers, etc., in place and fired up. Water and waste hookups come later if needed, as do the awning, outside chairs and tables if we're staying long enough to want them. If either one of us is feeling poorly, the other one is quite capable of doing the entire setup, and I don't recall that we've ever had a cross word during the process. Even for the rare times when I ask for assistance backing in to a site, we have a well practiced set of hand signals and never need to yell anything back and forth. Maybe it comes from over 50 years of working together towards common goals, but I don't recall us ever yelling at each other except when distance or background noise required it to communicate, never in anger. Life's too short...

This is one topic that reminds me how much we love to boondock. Find a spot,hit the leveling jacks, open the slides and dw takes out the weiner dogs. I grab a cold beer and ease into my favorite chair. As others have said the length of stay at any spot determines what things get spread out. Week plus meand 12x12 mat with chairs and small tables. Packing up the wife has caught on and does her thing, per my satisfaction. Nothing gets "thrown in" to the toad just to hurry up. Takes time. If you want to hear some colorfull conversation...bringing the boat back into slip after a full day is not for the faint of heart......

Cant Wait said:
Our systems works good for us.  When we get to the site if I don't need help backing in (which is rare), the DW takes the dogs for a walk to do their thing after traveling, and by the time she gets back the coach is level, slides out, utilities hooked, and awning out.
X2 ...only we wait until we are backed in; then DW walks the dogs (although since our last camping trip we are down to one dog) while I do the setup. Usually takes about 15 min. When I am done setting up, DW and Lulu have returned from their walk, and there is a cold beer waiting for me. Life is GOOD!

Well setting up and tear down is much easier than getting there, she does what she does and I do what I do and about 20 min we are done without a harsh word. Traveling is another story.

Once I get level-----------mostly without blocks, the Wife goes inside and does a few things while I hook up electric and cable and we are done for the most part.  Sometimes we need to hook up water, and sewer but only if we are staying several days in one spot. Then and only then will I set up for DISH Satellite.
After 55 years together we have no problem with each doing their jobs.
Marvin

My wife used to yell at me a lot during set up! Like if the LP was turned on yet, if shore power was plugged in, etc.  Did I care?
Not a bit. We had a routine. Once parked, we both understood that our routine for set up was down to a science. No auto-levelers, manual awning, the whole thing. We each had our jobs to do and set up was complete in less than 30 minutes. Even when we were pulling a PUP (pulling out the beds).
We just politely told potential interrupters that it would be a few minutes.

It just boiled down to finding that routine that works. Understanding what each others role in the set up routine consists of. The yelling gave me a clue to just where she was in her routine. I welcomed it.

In no time we were relaxing and enjoying our surroundings.

Cant Wait said:
When we get to the site... the DW takes the dogs for a walk to do their thing after traveling, and by the time she gets back the coach is level, slides out, utilities hooked, and awning out.

X3.  Easy peesy. 20 min and done. If we're dry camping or only hooking up electric, even faster. Only exception is when we're really settling in for a few days so rolling out our "lawn", setting up dog fence, chairs, etc, then we do a few of those final bits together after the "house" is setup and dog walked.

I drive alone and sit up alone most of the time.  Hubs may be going with us some later.  I don't know how that
will work.  If its a pull through and I'm going to stay, I generally unhook the toad first.  If its for the night I
hit the level button, once that is done, plug up electric, then water.  Last is sewer and I dump the tanks, leave
the grey water open as I do laundry.  That's it, doesn't take long but I have a little routine and don't like being
interrupted.  It's not a problem though when sitting up, but I don't want to be disturbed when I'm getting ready
to leave, afraid I might miss a step.

:) Every now and then, my husband and I can get a bit snippy...however, this is more so, when we arrive later toward evening after a day of driving.  Generally, that type of driving will be a rarer occurrence now that we are retired, and not in the mode "of have to get there at a certain time schedule, and drive so many miles a day."  We each have our set jobs at set up, and usually quietly get to work, when done have a beer and relax..it is all good.

The one part of setting up where my wife knows to leave me alone is when I'm searching out that elusive little hole on a heavily treed site where I can successfully aim the satellite dish. The site we're on in Georgia today is like that. When I pulled out the tripod and dish, several neighbors that have been here awhile told me to forget it, reception was impossible. We just finished watching the Pittsburgh/Detroit hockey game (6-3 Wings! Yea!) on the NHL channel on the Dish eastern arc...  ;D

NY_Dutch said:
We just finished watching the Pittsburgh/Detroit hockey game (6-3 Wings! Yea!) on the NHL channel on the Dish eastern arc...  ;D
Go Caps! Go Bruins! And go anyone playing Pittsburgh!

After 40 wonderful  ;D months together we don't have any problems setting up, backing in or take down. It's rare when anyone interrupts us and we'll take a few minutes to talk to them. The only time I would ask someone to wait a few minutes is when hooking up the toad.

Cant Wait said:
Our systems works good for us.  When we get to the site if I don't need help backing in (which is rare), the DW takes the dogs for a walk to do their thing after traveling, and by the time she gets back the coach is level, slides out, utilities hooked, and awning out.

Same here...  there are some tasks I'd rather do myself so I can get them done my way. DW takes the dogs to help eliminate a few things including over exuberance..  When she returns I usually have the the camper level, plugged in, slide out, awning out, and since we have a HTT, I'm usually dropping the beds.  I can now grab my chair and a cold beverage...

Back
Top Bottom