EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Tow Dolly or towed vehicle ?  (Read 3667 times)

WILDEBILL308

• ---
Re: Tow Dolly or towed vehicle ?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 07:37:09 PM »
Theoretically if the combined weight of the tow vehicle and towed vehicle don't exceed the tow vehicle's GVWR then the tow vehicle's brakes alone should give adequate braking performence. This situation could exist with a big diesel coach with lots of payload---some claim over 10,000 pounds of payload. Were I towing something like a Smart Car, Ford Fiesta or Fiat 500 behind such a coach I wouldn't worry about braking performence.
Well outher than most states require you to have an auxiliary braking system. The outher major reason is it helps you stop quicker. The next big reason to have auxiliary braking is if you have an accident.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2017, 12:15:29 AM »
Well outher than most states require you to have an auxiliary braking system. The outher major reason is it helps you stop quicker. The next big reason to have auxiliary braking is if you have an accident.
Bill

From what I understand most states don't necessarily require auxiliary brakes: some states have braking performence standards and some states don't call for auxiliary brakes unless the toad exceeds a certain weight, often 3000 pounds, well over the weights of the cars I mentioned. Indeed, the options and doodads on some coaches probably weigh more than the cars mentioned.

As for stopping faster, well a TV and toad within the TV's GVWR should stop within the TV's designed capability. Most vehicle's can be made to stop better than stock but I don't think many of us are really worrying about that, not really. I don't see a market for high performence coach brakes nor are many people putting Brembos on their toads. Good enough is good enough. Have you improved the braking of your RV and toad over stock performence? (Yes, I know there's an aftermarket for disc brake for trailers, a good thing given the crummy brakes on many trailers. But coaches seem to have pretty good brakes.)

I don't see how auxiliary brakes will help me once I've had an accident.

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2017, 06:46:10 AM »

I don't see how auxiliary brakes will help me once I've had an accident.

Not having them gives the other party's lawyer more ammunition for a settlement.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 07:08:48 AM »
Not having them gives the other party's lawyer more ammunition for a settlement.

Maybe. If one were towing within the law I doubt you'd be found negligent on the basis of not using auxiliary brakes. And I don't live in a state of defense against lawsuits, that could extend to almost every facet of life and be never ending. I'd be interested in a citation of an instance in which a person towing a car within the law was found negligent in a civil or criminal case because they didn't use auxiliary brakes.

I see this same argument used on trailer forums by guys who think you should use a 1 ton dually to pull a Casita. ;-)

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 07:19:40 AM »
Maybe. If one were towing within the law I doubt you'd be found negligent on the basis of not using auxiliary brakes. And I don't live in a state of defense against lawsuits, that could extend to almost every facet of life and be never ending. I'd be interested in a citation of an instance in which a person towing a car within the law was found negligent in a civil or criminal case because they didn't use auxiliary brakes.

I see this same argument used on trailer forums by guys who think you should use a 1 ton dually to pull a Casita. ;-)

Whether it's you that's found negligent or the other party, rest assured their lawyer will use any advantage he can to either raise the settlement amount if you're found negligent, or reduce it if his client is found negligent.

Do what ever you feel comfortable with... Personally, I want all the advantages I can get when it comes to emergency stopping. Add in the toad break-away protection most auxiliary brake systems include, and I see it as a win all around.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:23:17 AM by NY_Dutch »
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2017, 12:13:27 PM »

You can live with your head in the sand and convince yourself you are right. That will not protect you in a lawsuit. You will be sued and you will lose if you don't have auxiliary braking in your toad or on a tow dolly. That friend is REALITY.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2017, 12:45:02 PM »
You will be sued and you will lose if you don't have auxiliary braking in your toad or on a tow dolly. That friend is REALITY.
Bill

A bold and cocksure assertion. Can you prove it, show when this has happened? Just repeating yourself with increased vehemence isn't persuasive.

fred1845

• ---
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »
My MH hitch is rated at 8000 lbs.Car I will be towing ,a Saturn Ion weighs about 2700 lbs ,Is that a problem?

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2017, 08:16:48 PM »
A bold and cocksure assertion. Can you prove it, show when this has happened? Just repeating yourself with increased vehemence isn't persuasive.
Yes and I have no more time to waste on someone who doesn't have a RV isn't towing and is doing nothing but acting the expert on the internet. ;)
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2017, 08:48:11 PM »
Yes and I have no more time to waste on someone who doesn't have a RV isn't towing and is doing nothing but acting the expert on the internet. ;)
Bill

In other words you can't back up your assertions.

Not that it matters to the validity of my assertions but I own a Tiffin 32sa and tow a Ford Fiesta behind it. And I use an SMI braking system because the combined weights of my TV and toad exceed the GVWR of the TV, a case in which Ford, the chassis maker, recommends using a toad braking system.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 09:02:51 AM by irishtom29 »

Sailorkane

• ---
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2017, 01:06:15 PM »
There are a ton of "brake buddy" equivalents.  Its basically a box that sits in front of the drivers seat and has an arm that pushes on your brake pedal.  Its typically activated by the brake light wire from the motorhome.  They are installed when you tow and removed when you stop somewhere.  You can check craigslist or ebay, since they are often being sold by someone getting out of RVing.  Other alternatives are for diesels with air brakes:  Roadmaster and M&G, for instance.  The invisibrake is an electric system that has a wire and pulley system to activate the toad's brakes.  There are many posts on the topic in various forums.
Personally if I were concerned about expense, I would look for a brake buddy or equivalent, availalbe on craigslist somewhere. 
2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39WD, Freightliner, Cat 3126E 330HP.  Diesel Pusher.

Cathyv817

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2017, 12:58:35 PM »
In August we had the Invisibrake installed in my Jeep. Much to my dismay, we had to trade the Jeep in for another vehicle. We took the Invisibrake out including wiring, pedal clamp, and cylinder. I am now selling it for $525 which includes shipping. It was used 3 times and a pleasure to have in our towed vehicle. Message me if you or someone you know are interested in purchasing it.

Sailorkane

• ---
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2017, 09:40:15 AM »
In August we had the Invisibrake installed in my Jeep. Much to my dismay, we had to trade the Jeep in for another vehicle. We took the Invisibrake out including wiring, pedal clamp, and cylinder. I am now selling it for $525 which includes shipping. It was used 3 times and a pleasure to have in our towed vehicle. Message me if you or someone you know are interested in purchasing it.
We have been using the Invisibrake for a year in our Saturn and its great.  It really is invisible and doesn't need to be set up for towing and doesn't affect normal driving.  Highly recommend.  The "additional car" kit is about $100 and includes the little bits and pieces needed to move it to another car.  Takes an afternoon to install. 
2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39WD, Freightliner, Cat 3126E 330HP.  Diesel Pusher.

Cathyv817

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2017, 03:54:04 PM »
Agreed...much easier than the big BB brake that we had for years. As far as I know we have all the parts except the light plug from the front of the Jeep and the break away switch. They were not coming off with the tools we had.

Hosted by Over The Network