Reservations or not??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Relee52

I'm getting a little nervous about our plans. We've unloaded most of our "stuff" and have a realtor for the house and planning to hit the road full time in about a month, which is exciting and a "bit" nerve wracking. Our plans have been to go where our nose points us, little scheduled other than to avoid hot and cold weather and severe storms. However, in looking at state parks and national parks and even RV parks, it seems many are booked way in advance, up to a year. I want to go places and, if we like it, stay a month or so. If we don't like it pick up and leave. Having reservations certainly doesn't lend itself to "foot loose and fancy free" travel. So I am back to the forum to dip into the well of acquired wisdom that I've found here.
As usual, thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

I full timed it all over the country without reservations without a problem. Obviously you cannot go to the Florida Keys in the winter and expect to find a spot nor can you go to Yellowstone on the fourth of July and expect to find a spot. However most every other times you will find a place to stay. For National Parks most campgrounds do not take reservations so if you show up in the morning you will be able to grab a spot as someone is leaving. Join overnight RV parking and you can always find a free spot to boondock for a night in a pinch.

https://www.overnightrvparking.com/

We travelled with no plans and although a few times we had to call several campgrounds we always got somewhere. This was in the western states. Some state parks seem to have walk in only spots too so as long as you arrive at a reasonable time you can get spots, and if really stuck as Tom says you should be able to find a free spot for one night. Safe and happy travels, I'm sure you'll soon get into the swing of it  ;D

SeilerBird said:
For National Parks most campgrounds do not take reservations so if you show up in the morning you will be able to grab a spot as someone is leaving.

These days many of the NPS campgrounds managed by concessionaires do take reservations.  For example, the CGs at Yellowstone can be booked here: http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/lodging/reservations/  Concessionaires are not required to give the 50% discount that normally would be provided by the America the Beautiful Senior Pass.

Trying to get a site at an NPS CG during peak season can be nearly impossible at some parks if you don't have advance reservations particularly if you are looking for sites with hookups since there aren't many of those.  OTOH with a bit of advance planning it can be done.

Yes doc is correct that the concessionaires don't give a discount. However there are only a handful of parks with RV hookups. Usually you have to camp outside of the parks to get hookups.

We got spots in Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier, some private, some state but no forward booking and that was July/ August.

Reservations are useful if you are headed toward a popular spot in its primary season (which varies by location). If you go to Florida or South Texas in the winter, reservations are a good way to avoid hassle or an unplanned night at a Walmart. Conversely, if you head to places less traveled, you probably never need a rez.

If traveling around popular areas, you can usually do fine just by calling ahead, 24-48 hours in advance. On the other hand, just driving into a campground late in the evening without notice is quite likely to leave you disappointed.

docj said:
Concessionaires are not required to give the 50% discount that normally would be provided by the America the Beautiful Senior Pass.

I've wondered about this.  Does the concessionaire do this with the blessing of the Government or are they just enriching themselves by increasing revenues and their share of the gross?  Seems illogical that the Gov. would give discounts and then allow the concessionaires to charge full price. 

garyb1st said:
I've wondered about this.  Does the concessionaire do this with the blessing of the Government or are they just enriching themselves by increasing revenues and their share of the gross?  Seems illogical that the Gov. would give discounts and then allow the concessionaires to charge full price.
The government makes all the rules, the concessionaire has no say.

Some people like to plan every detail of their traveling, but like some of the others we seldom make reservations ahead of time.  Our normal technique (or lack thereof!) is to start thinking about stopping an hour or two ahead of time.  One of us usually looks in the Campground Directory to see what might be an hour up the road.  If a campground looks interesting we call and make arrangements then.  We normally don't have a problem finding a place.  Some of the exceptions have been mentioned, such as holidays.  We got caught last summer when we forgot about the Memorial Day weekend (retirees forget about such things!) and were in an area without many campgrounds.  We went to one that was less than desirable, although the owners tried hard to help us find a good site (which to us means a good southern sky for satellite TV and good electricity).  We stayed through most of the weekend and then found a more suitable place farther away.  By then we had seen the people and places we wanted to visit so left two days early and it worked out okay.  If you're the kind of person who stresses about such things, then you may want to make more reservations and just accept the fact that you may have to cancel some (fees may be attached) if your plans change.  Otherwise, just do your thing and see how it works for you.

ArdraF

Basically as others have said, you need to use a bit of common sense.  If you are travelling in a densely touristed of populated area, the rule of thumb is make a reservation or be disappointed.  In the wide open mid or western locations we found that we never made reservations.  We often would pull in anticipating staying a couple of nights, and extended that a couple of weeks or more.  One such location was Mesa Verde and Hovensweep, an area that we hit since it was on our way to a Rally in Moab, and we just loved it.
    On the other side, we were planning on spending the Memorial Day week end near Chicago, but a week or so prior to that week end, we noticed a State Park a bit south of Chicago had a sign posted that said, that they were fully booked for Memorial Day week end.  We quickly started calling and on our second try, we found a private park where we booked a week.  Also, we always booked our stay in Florida as we wanted specific sites to be near our friends.
    So, all that to say, we have never had to keep driving, even if we had to stay in a Walmart or Flying J on the odd occasion.

Ed

SeilerBird said:
The government makes all the rules, the concessionaire has no say.

In fact, I think the government creates the RFP under which the concessionaires tender bids.  Most likely, the RFP defines the general framework for bids and contractors can shape the specifics of the bids as long as they are within the general framework.  Usually, the government's primary concern is with its bottom line cost after user fees are deducted from contractor costs. 

I wouldn't be surprised if bidders have a lot of discretion as to how much of the Senior Pass discount they will permit.  At Colter Bay at Grand Teton NP a couple of years ago we were given a ~$10/night discount on a full hookup site whereas a year later at Stovepipe Wells we were given a full 50% discount on a similar site.  It's probably all a matter of what they said they would do in their proposal.

We like planning - it's part of the fun of the lifestyle for us.  However, I don't think it is required.  If you don?t mind a bit of uncertainty and enjoy the adventure of dropping anchor in an unknown port, freelancing can be a lot of fun.  You?ll have some misadventures along the way, especially if you try to be a pure freelancer who doesn?t even plan for  summer holiday weekends.  However, that will become part of your story.  After all, there?s most often a Walmart or a grocery store in the area that allows overnight parking.

Freelancers often end up paying more than their planning counterparts.  There are some great camping deals out there, but they generally go to planners who research campgrounds in an area and make advance reservations, sometimes months in advance.  For people on a tighter budget this is a bigger deal that it is for others.

I think fulltimers are more likely to be planners, although there are a lot of fulltime freelancers out there.  Even then, though, most fulltimers make reservations for holidays, planning to arrive early and then stay on a day or two after all the poor weekenders have to return to the daily grind.  Even fulltimers who do a lot of freelancing tend to set a few hard dates and then freelance between them.

In fact, I think the government creates the RFP under which the concessionaires tender bids.

This is the key point.  If the RFP (bid parameters)  is just to provide park management personnel for operations, then the park's normal policies will typically still apply (we have worked for a concessionaire in a Forest Service park that was done that way). But if the RFP makes the concessionaire responsible for all costs of operation and maintenance, there has to be enough revenue or why would the concessionaire take on the task at all? The gov't can fund senior or disability benefits from its tax revenue, but a concessionaire only has the income from the concession.  The oft-complained about parking facility at Mt Rushmore is an example. The concessionaire was required to build the parking facility as well as to operate it, so was given the entire revenue with no discounting to make that a financially viable proposition. Without that incentive there would be no parking garage and very limited access for the 2M+ visitors every year. We can pay per use or pay through our taxes, but at the end of the day there is only you & I to pay for it. Or do without.

Two of three Forest Service parks we drove through this past year, both in So Cal were pretty much empty except for the hosts.  We stayed at one of the parks twice before the concessionaires took over.  The last time, when a concessionaire was there, we deposited cash in the locked container.  The next day, the "host" came by and asked for payment.  Claimed he couldn't find our payment envelope (with cash).  Go figure.  Always pay by check.  These were not full timers hosting in exchange for a spot to park, these were unethical jerks.  The other ones, an older couple who were full timers, just said the discount didn't apply.  That told me the concessionaires made that decision.  This makes no sense unless the concessionaire is paid on a commission basis.  Then the more $$$, the bigger their take.  There total effort in this campground, to find a host that will "manage" the park.  So not a lot of investment on their part. 

As the OP I really appreciate this great discussion and information! What a great resource for the novices out here!
Thanks!

Gary, in those situations you can take a picture of you placing the money into the envelope and another of you putting it into the box.  Until we bought our winter place in Florida we never maintained a US Bank account.

Ed

Ed, hopefully their aren't that many bad apples out there in the RV campgrounds.  If a Park Ranger collects the money I don't worry.  But when someone who looks like he can't count to 10 comes around I'm thinking a check is the only way to go. 

When did you buy a place in FL?   

Gary

SeilerBird said:
Yes doc is correct that the concessionaires don't give a discount. However there are only a handful of parks with RV hookups. Usually you have to camp outside of the parks to get hookups.

Not always true. GTC is the concessionaire in the Grand Tetons. They give 50% off the base rate if you have a senior pass and you dry camp in one of the Campgrounds. If you camp in on of the RV Parks or in an electric site in one of the campgrounds you still get a discount. Last summer the senior pass gave you an $11 discount.

Back
Top Bottom