1/2 Ton Vs. 3/4 Ton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry.Frisa

Hello everyone,  this is my first post!  I'm not new to camping.  I owned a Class C Motorhome for a few years, but during that time we had some leaks and we were tired of driving behind it (didn't want to invest in the towing stuff for it) for a vehicle.  So, we traded it in and purchased our new travel trailer.  We followed some good advice and purchased the travel trailer first....now we are on the hunt for a new truck.  I've owned a Tundra in the past AND LOVED IT!  I'm just worried that my numbers (see below) are too high for a 1/2 ton truck.  However, I am also a little worried that something I use 8-10 times a year will be too much for daily use to work...especially in gas.  I just want to be safe, along with my wife and 3 young kids while traveling the great state of NY and beyond.  I also have an "in" with Toyota too.  I just want to make the best informed decision and loved the many posts on here.  Thank you for your time!  Here are the numbers.....1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?????  Thanks~

Hitch Weight 879 lbs
Gross Weight 10700 lbs
Dry Weight 7952 lbs
Cargo Weight 2748 lbs
Fresh Water Capacity 49 gals
Grey Water Capacity 66 gals
Black Water Capacity 33 gals
Tire Size ST225/75R15D

3/4 ton. You might be able to find a 1/2 ton that will have the gross weight ok for towing, but that is before your wife and children get in the truck, decreasing the capacity available for towing. Also note that kids do nothing more than grow, so the weight in the truck will just get more. I understand the concern about a big truck and daily use, but a Ram 1500 and a Ram 2500 aren't much different from each other in size (I mention the Ram because that's what we bought to replace our Tundra).

I believe you'll also find that the brake assemblies are much larger on a 3/4 ton giving you better stopping power.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

As mentioned, 3/4 ton trucks offer more upgrades than just pulling power... upgraded brakes, suspension, and cooling (along with beefier engine, transmission, and gearing) will all make the towing experience much more enjoyable.  Travel trailers are basically giant sails, and will blow you all over the road ("tail wagging the dog" as we say sometimes around here) if you don't have the right truck for the job.

I too went from the motorhome experience (a 35' Class A) to our current trailer setup (3/4 ton Suburban + 32' travel trailer).  Even being an RV semi-veteran, I was a complete newbie to the trailering experience... but as always, this forum taught me a LOT about what to expect and how to handle certain trailer-specific aspects. 

You may already be decided on new trailer and/or new truck, but you can save a bunch of money buying gently used too... so don't count out that possibility.  Stick around and keep reading topics & asking questions as you think of them! :)

I agree with everyone else - you definitely want a 3/4 ton.

Also, your trailer only has D load rated tires?  That sounds too light.  You may want to research whether to replace with E load rated tires.  I bet your TT will weight close to 9K pounds loaded up.

Lots of gas 2500 series trucks out there, usually at decent prices.  Folks generally want diesels, so gassers go begging.
The differences are hugh between the two, not just what is apparent at first look.  Frames, tires, wheels, springs, axles are the main things.  As for routine maintenance differences. You wont see any except maybe tires.  Decent LT tires will cost a bit more than comparavle P metrics found on a 1500.

I agree with all of the above.  ? ton is clearly the way to go.  Here is the numerical reason why.

First, forget the dry weight and )dry) hitch weight.  They are meaningless except to the transporter who hauled it to the original dealer.  Nobody goes camping in an empty camper!  The real weight when camping will be closer to the GVWR.  The real hitch weight will be 10% - 12% of the actual TT weight.

The MOST WEIGHT a ? ton truck can carry is shown on a yellow label on the driver door B pillar.  This is for THAT SPECIFIC truck and vary all over, based on truck GVWR, body style, options, tire size / capacity, etc.  A F150 XL reg cab with no options will have a payload of 3000#.  A well equipped crew cab may be 1400# or less.

Let's assume a nice truck with a 1500# payload.

Your truck must carry you and your wife (300#??), your 3 young ones (125#??), car seats, snacks, toys, etc. (200#???), Misc tools and cargo in the truck (200#??), a 80# WD hitch and a hitch weight of  1180# (11% of GVWR).  This totals 2085#, or well above the capacity of most ? ton trucks, especially a crew cab.

Please be safe and go with a ? ton gas model.  It will do fine with the camper and be a reasonable every day driver.

Thank you.  I love the last post and safety is the key.  I'm going to get the 3/4 ton.  Just need to find the right fit that doesn't break the bank.  As for the tires i am not sure why they are D.  It's brand new Coachman 2017 320BHDS.  I never knew! 

Any suggestions on trucks?  Since I am really am starting from scratch (since I already own the TT) I'm not opposed to any brand, truck, suburban, or etc.  I am a GM discount/GM card points person.....but that isn't the end all be all.  Gently used is probably the direction we are going too.  This is great feedback.  Thanks again!

As far as truck brands go, we have our favorites but the big 3 all build very capable vehicles. You need to decide what features and options you want.

Larry.Frisa said:
Any suggestions on trucks?  Since I am really am starting from scratch (since I already own the TT) I'm not opposed to any brand, truck, suburban, or etc.  I am a GM discount/GM card points person.....but that isn't the end all be all.  Gently used is probably the direction we are going too.

Going into the shopping/research process WITHOUT having any preconceived preference can only help you, in terms of finding the best price.  Start scouring Craiglist daily in your area, and you may eventually find a hidden gem in there somewhere.

If you want to start getting used to the various makes/models/trims/towing capabilities for various manufacturers, the Trailer Life Towing Guide is a good reference to have handy.

What Grashley said above also applies to 3/4 ton trucks also. There are some, particularly Ram 2500's that have very low payload capacities.

kdbgoat said:
What Grashley said above also applies to 3/4 ton trucks also. There are some, particularly Ram 2500's that have very low payload capacities.

When we were shopping for ours, we found low payload in most manufacturers depending on model and options so you do need to pay close attention to the yellow door sticker.

We found very competitive pricing in Idaho but if you are from  NY that may be a bit far to drive it back  ;D

Thanks to Keith and Jackie for saying it for me.  Determine your minimum Payload capacity required, and remember kids grow.  Make sure the Yellow label is above this value!

As for brand, drive all three and get the one your WIFE likes best!

It is unlikely any late model Suburban / Excursion /van will have the payload to handle your TT AND your family.

While a ? ton truck should handle your needs, do not discount a 1 ton SRW truck.  They are all the same size as their ? ton cousins.  They have a bit stouter suspension and higher GVWR / Payload.  Used prices are very similar.  While the ? ton is likely preferred, do not discount a 1 ton just because it is a 1 ton.

Man I love this site!  That is an excellent amount of feedback and I appreciate it.  Espeicially about keeping my wife happy :)  She's got the shorter drive to work.  I will keep you all posted!  Going truck hunting in a month.

Yes, Idaho is a beautiful state but it would be a tough commute!

Larry.Frisa said:
Man I love this site!  That is an excellent amount of feedback and I appreciate it.

Yes, Idaho is a beautiful state but it would be a tough commute!

Glad you like it!

We did save $4000  ;D

grashley said:
It is unlikely any late model Suburban / Excursion /van will have the payload to handle your TT AND your family.

Right, but there are older 3/4 ton SUV's that will do the trick.  My Suburban is an example, and I did not plan on going as old as 1995 but I found a gem and that happened to be its year.  However the 2500-series Suburban was made up through 2006 I believe, and I've heard they are available (and probably also the sister GMC Yukon XL) again as a special order from Chevrolet/GMC.  That would require buying new though, and I'm afraid to even guess at what they would cost.  Some of them might hit the used market in a few years, but they will be rare and will probably hold their value quite well.

Same goes for some of the 2000-2004 (?) Ford Excursions with the diesel engine.  They are even more rare than the Suburbans though.  Do your research on those too, because not all generations of the Ford diesel engines have aged well.  One version is gold, and the other should be avoided like the plague... offhand I just can't remember which is which.  ;)

I have a 2011 Silverado 2500HD Gas and I tow a 25 foot searay (5600 lbs dry +trailer of 1400 lbs)  no problem towing this many times.  Towed to Georgia from NY without any problems up and down hills...I have not weighed the boat, but I estimate with gas, water and miscellaneos items that I am probably towing in excess of 8500 pounds... The truck has the heavy duty tow package, 17 inch wheels, LT package and i do just fine... I also opted to have the 3:73 rear instead of the 4:10 gearing... I thought about a little better mileage when not towing.  I do not have the quicker takeoff, but once I am moving it is fine... The boat is towed without an equalizer hitch, but i do have a TT that is towed with the equalizer hitch...Also my truck is 4 WD...

Back
Top Bottom