Custer State Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceinFL

Hi Y'all,
There are several campgrounds in Custer State Park. Which should we shoot for with a 32 ft 5er or any chance y'all could list them in preferred order?
Thanks,

We're also heading that way this summer.

From what I read on the websites, the campgrounds are no hookups, no sanitary dump. After Qz the no hookups is not an issue, but we can make it only 3 or 4 days without dumping gray water.

Any experience in the Custer State Park campgrounds?

Joel

There are several commercial campgrounds near the park - you might want to try one of them instead.  I've forgotten the names but they are listed in the campground guides and all are acceptable or better, as I recall (we stayed at one and visited at another).  Some of the roads into the park are pretty much unusuable by large vehicles anyway.

RV Roamer said:
There are several commercial campgrounds near the park - you might want to try one of them instead.? I've forgotten the names but they are listed in the campground guides and all are acceptable or better, as I recall (we stayed at one and visited at another).? Some of the roads into the park are pretty much unusuable by large vehicles anyway.

Gary,
I am planning on also using a commercial CG in the area and I think Joel is too. However, I remember reading posts back aways from people who stayed at Custer SP and said it was a "don't miss" place. Realize they don't have service but most of the campgrounds there have showers and flush toilets so we can boondock for a few days anyhow. My problem is that there are several suitable campgrounds within Custer SP and I'm trying to find out which of them to zero in on.
Bruce

I doubt if "don't miss" ws intended to imply you must camp there.  The "don't miss" part is the scenery and its all easily viewable by a drive through the park.  Even if you camp in the park, you still have to travel its roads to see it.  The various private parks are just outside the the park entrance and just as convenient.

You might also like Cave of the Winds National Park (Monument?) just south of Custer and of course Mt Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial. All are within a very short drive of any of the campgrounds in the area.  And the Little Big Horn National Monument is also near by and worth a visit if you are a history buff.

Bruce,

I agree the "don't miss" part is the State Park itself. We stayed at the KOA nearby but would more than likely opt for another campground if we ever went again. Also, do not miss the evening presentation at Mt. Rushmore. If all goes well it is a wonderful presentation. makes your heartstrings sing.

Thanks everyone....looking forward to the trip. Haven't made reservations anywhere cause we don't want to be forced to stay on a schedule. Been there, done that for too, too many years. Probably will end up in Walmart.  ;)

Back
Top Bottom