New Bicycle carrier for the front of your trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonPam

Lippert Components Inc. is making available a product called the Jack-It double bicycle carrier. It mounts on the A-Frame of the trailer directly under the jack. The bikes are carried above the propane tanks. Attached is a photo from their marketing literature. This carrier should fill a need for those of us with the new lightweight trailers that don't have the structure to carry a bike rack in the back of your trailer.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 160
I haven't received my order yet. ETA is some time in February. I'll mount on the trailer when weather is decent and post an update. One of my concerns is the possibility that it may make it difficult to change propane tanks. Photos will come when I post the update.
Lipperts website has a pretty thorough spec sheet on it.

Looks like a good idea, if it works and doesn't add too much tongue weight.  I have never mounted bikes to my TT's rear bumper, because I can't see them back there.  My cousin has a terrifying (yet hilarious) story of his entire rig's bumper bending/rotating and almost falling off (while driving down the road at highway speeds!) under the weight of several bumper-mounted bicycles.

Scotty,
That's exactly what Lippert will tell those that are pulling light weight trailers will happen. I applaud them for creating a low cost solution. I'm hoping it clears the propane tank cover on our trailer.

DonPam said:
One of my concerns is the possibility that it may make it difficult to change propane tanks.

It should not present any problems changing tanks. The bikes are way to high to start with. The tanks are usually just held down with a large wing nut with a bracket over both tanks. Once loosened, you just take the tanks out sideways. If I purchased that rack, I would see if I could cut it down so it wouldn't be so high. Being that high, may present a flexing action.

Good point Rene on the flexing, we'll see. The propane tanks on our Imagine are covered with a plastic tank cover. To change tanks, I have to lift the semi-rigid plastic cover up. There s my concern, but the Lippert folks have said that it should be clear.

DonPam said:
Good point Rene on the flexing, we'll see. The propane tanks on our Imagine are covered with a plastic tank cover. To change tanks, I have to lift the semi-rigid plastic cover up. There s my concern, but the Lippert folks have said that it should be clear.

I forgot about the cover.

Based on the marketing photo alone, I feel there would be a lot of flexing, and over time, maybe a failure at highway speeds. I'm curious to see some real world reviews and feedback.

Ok we had a warm day so I got out and installed the bike rack. In all aspects of function, and ease of installation, my expectations have been met.
The rack is easy to install. A few things to be aware of outside of the written installation instructions:
1. Put the battery in and hook it up so you can raise the tongue jack up all the way.
2. Disconnect the jack power wire so you have a little slack to remove the jack. There is a little low voltage junction just below the right front corner of my 2600RB. Use a 3/8" nut driver.
3. Remove the propane tank cover.
4. I needed to turn my propane tank header and tanks around so the cover slides on and off easier. The hoses created a pinch point. Now they face the trailer, not the tow vehicle.
5. I am 5'8" tall. The front bike goes up easily once all the cradles and stabilizers are properly positioned. The back bike is more challenging, but I did it by myself. When traveling, Pam will help me so I don't drop the bike on the camper. A single step stool will also be handy to stand on when hanging the bikes.
6. One disappointing aspect: the riser is 1-1/2" square so it will not fit a standard hitch adapter on the tow vehicle (1-1/4" or 2"). I have a custom one in the works.

Someone above had concerns about it wobbling. The rack is rigid, however the bikes hang by the wheels. The bikes do wiggle. The rack may flex as bikes wiggle over bumps. Overall I am satisfied.

I have one of these and it works perfectly. You use the regular bike rack you can use for your car or a cargo rack. Supports 100 lbs.
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Stromberg-Carlson/CC-275.html?feed=npn&gclid=CjwKEAiAqozEBRDJrPem0fPKtX0SJAD5sAyHB****TdzpsGJYzvJECVzVYluShS9rNbZeF9U_xKt4xoCAE7w_wcB

Regarding the JackIt bike rack... see attached pix... had some issues & bruises with lifting my bike up on the rack... it had to go on the top because of its size...my son suggested lowering the jack tongue as low as possible before trying to load/unload!  Well that certainly simplified things. As to the propane tanks I was able to remove the plastic pliable cover & replace the tanks easily.

Attachments

• xsm_bikeonrack.jpg
    xsm_bikeonrack.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom