EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: supermanotorious is FINALLY going solar!  (Read 1263 times)

Frank B

• ---
Re: supermanotorious is FINALLY going solar!
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 07:59:24 PM »
then we were hit with intense rain and hail and I was kind of glad the panels weren't exposed to that

The resiliency of solar panels may surprise you.

I have just completed a large solar installation on our 2010 Arctic Fox 30U.  It rained shortly afterward, and we got  3/4" hail with it - loud enough to wake us up in the house.  Solar panels were all fine.

Frank.
Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2017, 01:28:33 PM »
What Frank said. There are international standards for solar panel construction, and hail impact resistance is one of them. Hail that's hitting hard enough to shatter a car's windshield, will usually have no affect at all on solar panels. Ours have been through a couple of hail storms, and suffered no damage whatsoever. They're tough!

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2017, 03:30:16 PM »

Hail that's hitting hard enough to shatter a car's windshield, will usually have no affect at all on solar panels.

That is good to know. We get a lot of hail here, though seldom of windshield breaking size.

Frank.
Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

supermanotorious

• ---
    • Phoenix Winch LLC
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2017, 04:01:54 PM »
I'm not concerned about weather anymore, I still haven't installed the doggone things and every trip involves putting them on the roof, connecting them, then bringing them back down, total PITA, for now she's on the driveway with all 4 panels resting on the roof, I am leaving the inverter on and it is powering a charger for my boat batteries, I am going to monitor for a couple days then may wire them to 24V to see if the controller converts the higher voltage to additional amps
Home is Phoenix, AZ
2008 Skyline Freestyle M-240 Way-Lite
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna FXDX
2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 8.1L 496ci 4x4
1994 Four Winns Freedom
various quads, off-road gokarts, mini bikes
Phoenix Winch wakeboard winches

Hosted by Over The Network